Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

What do you plan to do with your Old Stooges Collection?

Guest · 38 · 7809

Poll

For those of you planning to buy the new Sony DVD sets, what do you plan to do with your old VHS copies and older DVD releases?

Keep them.
Sell them.
Keep some and sell some.
Throw them out.
Give them to a friend or relative.
Donate them.
I don't have any of the older VHS or DVD releases. This is my first time collecting them.

Offline Bangsmith

• Citizen of Greater Stoogedom
  • Chucklehead
It brings tears to my eyes when I say, yes it is an option, unfortunately. For several reasons:

1) Most of the DVDs, I converted myself. Most taken from my older VHS videos and some taken from the bootleg sets. Distributing copyrighted material that's been duplicated is illegal and if caught, I can go to prison.

2) The previous Sony DVDs have absolutely no value anymore. When I put a set of 3 DVDs up on Ebay, start the bid at $0.99, and nobody bids, I can safely say that nobody out there wants it.

3) There are no CD/DVD used stores in my area.

4) My local library does not accept any VHS tapes. They don't accept any DVDs or books that came out over 2 years ago. I find that so absurd, but what can I do!

So, you see, I'm in a spot. Nobody really wants them, which I find strange. I'm starting to get the feeling that the Stooges are not popular anymore.

To add to my last post, I sold my legal Sony DVDs to a Boston area music store called Newbury Comics about three weeks ago. They took them all, for around $4.50 each. I figured that now would be the time to get the most money for them, since they are out of print and the new set is a short way off. Newbury hadn't yet announced the release of the new set, and I don't know if they have yet. Whatever anybody does, PLEASE don't throw them out! If you can't sell them, give them away! Even casual Stooges fans will enjoy having at least a couple of those DVDs to play with!
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do "suck seed"!!

xraffle

Whatever anybody does, PLEASE don't throw them out! If you can't sell them, give them away! Even casual Stooges fans will enjoy having at least a couple of those DVDs to play with!

Trust me. Nobody wants them. I put a couple of the DVDs for $0.99 on Ebay and didn't get any bids.

Jimmie Adams

I was certain I left a post here that recommended donating your unwanted SOny Stooge to a library.  Kids can see them for free and we can help seed an new fan base.

Sometimes there are problems with this.

When DVDs first came out I bought a single Abbott & Costello title BUCK PRIVATES COME HOME.  When someone gave me an A&C boxset that had that title on it, I donated the single disc to the local library.  A year goes by and I have never seen it on the shelf.  So I inquired why they did not put that disc in circulation.  I was told that the story line of two men taking care of a little girl that was not legally adopted by them was problematic.  My jaw dropped when some 80 something year old guy at the computer card file piped up, "It Abbott & Castella for God's sake."
However they had no problem circulating COLLATERAL, 16 BLOCKS, INDEPENDENCE DAY, and TROY.

Help me Mister Wizard, I don't wanna be in PC land anymore.

Offline kinderscenen

I thought about throwing out my 25 year old VHS tapes when I got a new set of...VHS tapes...but I didn't.  For some reason, watching those ancient tapes, complete with film scratches, dirt, and of course, breaks is kind of fun.  Besides, I paid $10 for each videotape!  That was a lot of money for a 7 year old!  I also like to compare the clarity of the DVDs to the old tapes--sometimes film can hide a lot of wrinkles!

As for what Sony's doing with this new release stuff....I have NO idea who's in charge of this, but they can't be a Stooge fan, nor can they even have a good business mind.  I'm sure we can all think of box sets that have been released and re-released (Star Trek immediately comes to mind) and folks are still snapping them up.  What's the difference between that and the Stooges?  (Besides crappy advertising?)

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who are clamoring for a complete set--hell, I'm clamoring for a complete, clear set of the Besser-era shorts--I'm mighty tired of looking at ancient 1980s era film.

(Hmmm...now where was my topic in all of this?  :D)

Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

xraffle

I was certain I left a post here that recommended donating your unwanted SOny Stooge to a library.  Kids can see them for free and we can help seed an new fan base.

I was certain that I left a post saying that the libraries by me are extremely picky with what people donate to them. Which means, my old stooge DVDs and VHS are unacceptable there because they came out over 2 years ago.

I thought about throwing out my 25 year old VHS tapes when I got a new set of...VHS tapes...but I didn't.  For some reason, watching those ancient tapes, complete with film scratches, dirt, and of course, breaks is kind of fun.  Besides, I paid $10 for each videotape!  That was a lot of money for a 7 year old!  I also like to compare the clarity of the DVDs to the old tapes--sometimes film can hide a lot of wrinkles!

I can top that. I paid $15 for each VHS tape. Talk about being ripped off, I guess I was.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
The old commercials make it worthwhile to keep. But someday we won't have a VHS player. It'll all be DVD's or memory sticks!

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

xraffle

But someday we won't have a VHS player. It'll all be DVD's or memory sticks!

James

Exactly. VHS players don't have great longevity. Mine are already failing and I have no intention of buying a new one. DVD players are much better. I've had the same DVD player for 8 years and it still works perfectly.

Offline archiezappa

In the last few years, I've had 3 VCRs break down on me.  They just don't make them like they used to.  However, I bought one of those that has a VCR and DVD combined.  I've had good luck with it.  It plays both VHS and DVD very well.  No problems.  However, I wish I had waited, because Philips now has a combination VCR/DVD that records directly from VHS to DVD.  I need that.  That would be awesome. ;D

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
Creative Labs sells an external sound card, Audigy 2/ZX, that claims to do the same thing. I've only had mine a week but I need longer cords from my DVD/VCR to my sound card on my desk. USB 2.0 compatible. About $200.

And if you've paid to have VHS tapes professionally made into DVD's, it'll pay for itself in no time! The bigger dilemma is getting 16/8/super 8mm films made into videos or DVD's in the first place. But photo stores sell that equipment too. Hard to justify that expense.

If I try to stretch my current cord there, the kitten will have the sound card, laptop, docking station, DVD burner, and 11 or 12 other thing$ on the floor about 5 minutes after I leave for work. (I'd like to punt it across the canal, but I figure a year from now it will have calmed down.) What's it's name?

PITA. Yes. Pain in the A$$!

James

PS. With a PC you can edit junk out before burning the DVD's. Nice. Especially for bad home movies.

Curley91

I wish I had waited, because Philips now has a combination VCR/DVD that records directly from VHS to DVD.

At one time, I had one of these DVD recorders.  It worked very well. 

And if you've paid to have VHS tapes professionally made into DVD's, it'll pay for itself in no time! The bigger dilemma is getting 16/8/super 8mm films made into videos or DVD's in the first place.

I would like to transfer all of my films to a DVD as well.  If a professional company does enough of them, it WILL add up in a hurry!
Another thing I am trying to do is transfer some 35mm film strips onto a DVD, and add a record to them.  I am trying to find out the best way to tackle this project. 

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
Check out the Audigy 2/ZX. I'm surprised by it's capabilities.

Google Creative Labs or Sound Blaster.

James

xraffle

PS. With a PC you can edit junk out before burning the DVD's. Nice. Especially for bad home movies.

That's how I transfer my VHS collection to DVD. I use the PC so I can edit. Let me say, editing requires time and a lot of patience. I don't have any more of that, which is why I have so many remaining VHS tapes that haven't been transferred yet.

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
That's how I transfer my VHS collection to DVD. I use the PC so I can edit. Let me say, editing requires time and a lot of patience. I don't have any more of that, which is why I have so many remaining VHS tapes that haven't been transferred yet.

Agreed! It's a winter-time project! Took me a while to edit junk out of a recent wedding that I shot the movie for. My grandfather's/great-uncle's films are 1000 times crappier.

We are looking at one now, and trying to decide who died by the vintage of the cars (early 1920's, 16-mm B&W) and the date code on the Kodak box. I vote for 1923 and my Great-grandmother.

James