Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Suggestions

shemps#1 · 105 · 43700

Pilsner Panther

Steely Dan: Nuh-uh. At first I hated Steely Dan, but in time they grew on me.

"So do warts!"

I couldn't resist that.

I'll second the nomination of the Ramones... what band ever went so far on so little talent? Of course, you have to keep in mind that Joey Ramone recently had a street in Manhattan named after him— which in a strange way puts him in the same league as Duke Ellington, who was given the same honor many years ago.

But Joey Ramone is not, not, not in the same league as the Duke, not by a million billion miles!!!

>:(

Offline Curleys_Girl_Suze

• Grapehead
You positively MUST include...Mariah Carey. C'mon. That's a given.

I can't see what's the fascination with her at all.

And do consider...

Bobby Brown WTF is this guy doing in the industry? He's had one lukewarm "hit" and that's all  -- is he paying people to stay in the industry? All he's doing in essence is taking up air....

And what about Geddy Lee? In exactly what key is that voice he's singing in?

And I can name a whole slew of Eighties crap that should be nominated or considered:

Lita Ford

The Runaways

Mary Jane Girls

Vanity 6

Vanity

DeBarge

They Might Be Giants

Oingo Boingo

Ultravox

Run DMC

Beastie Boys

« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 05:23:05 PM by Curleys_Girl_Suze »

brett11253

Add these:

Styx

Menudo

Jet (...yoooou go it allll over himmmm you must hve been heaaven seeent...BLECH)

Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam

Creed -- every song sounds alike...

Stacey "somebody feed me" Q

Any "musical artist" with an initial in their name

Starland Vocal Band

J-Lo (I didn't read thru this thread, but if she's not nominated, she is now...hehehe)

The Osmonds

The Partridge Family

Pink Lady -- THREE minutes of fame in the Seventies...add "JEFF" and they get three and a half. I'f you've never heard of Pink Lady, google them if you dare.

Rupert Holmes

The Bangles

Warrant

Mary J. Blige

The Ramones

Mariah Carey - If I hear One Sweet Day at another wake, I'll scream until they take me away. She sounds like a fire engine in heat.

Yoko Ono

Firefall

Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Idk about you guys but Renegade by Styx is one of the best songs out there. If you havnt listened to it then listen to it then say what you want about Styx. Jet is pretty cool too. I like some of that non hard rock. not a rap fan tho.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
My suggestion is more MTS threads!  It's been awhile, Jim, and they're entertaining.  What's your opinion on The Beach Boys?  I've really grown into them, but they seem to draw diverse opinions.  I would also love to see a Judas Priest or Dio (I know Dio wasn't a "hit guy," but he's had a long career with three great bands, is hugely influential in his genre, and has a loyal following), thread, even if I am a fan.  I get perverse pleasure out of reading these entries on artists I actually like, just because it's easier to laugh at.

As far as Geddy Lee, say what you will about his voice or Rush, but that band is loaded with talent.  As a bass player myself, I bow to the man.  Still, I'm only a casual Rush fan.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well I've been quite busy the past half-a-year or so, and when I've had time to myself I haven't wanted to spend it on MTS. With the semester starting this coming week (at a new school, no less) I still won't have alot of time. However, I should have the newest inductee up later today, after I get some sleep. It's an induction that has been in the "queque" for a long time.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
This may fall under the "one-hit-wonder" disclaimer rule, but ....

How about Chuck Mangione and his weak jazz trumpet offering of "Feels So Good" from the 1970's?

I mention it because in this web interview, http://www.thecelebritycafe.com/interviews/chuck_mangione.html, Chuck describes how he earned a cameo role on the TV show "King of the Hill".

(maybe if you throw in "Music Box Dancer" by Frank Mills .... hhmmm)

Say, ... perhaps you could string 3 or 4 one-hitters together in a new "One-Suck Hitter" thread?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 09:15:37 PM by Giff me dat fill-em! »
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Chuck describes how he earned a cameo role on the TV show "King of the Hill"

I don't particularly care for King of the Hill, and don't watch it as regularly as I do the Simpsons and South Park, but I saw that episode and it was pretty funny.  They poked fun at Mangione quite a bit throughout the episode!

Say, ... perhaps you could string 3 or 4 one-hitters together in a new "One-Suck Hitter" thread?
[rotflmao]

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Bette Midler .... GAG

here's what I DO whenever I'm in a mall, or other public place and hear that retch-inducing song float over the PA system: I sing along using these replacement words:

Did you ever know that you're my zero?
You're everything I wish I could flee.
I could fly higher without you near-o ...
You are the wind beneath my jeans.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Shemoeley Fine

• Chucklehead
I nominate disco as an inductee to the MTS Gallery. Not the early  heavy on the funk music of the early 70's, but the watered down, drum machine, electronics, the  repetitive dum dum dum dum dum, that steady single beat, by groups that began in the mid-70's and then skyrocketed with the release of Saturday Night Fever. All who know the history of US popular music of the 20th century agree that disco is the low point of muisc, by far.The only redeeming value of disco 1976 to 1981 more or less, is that as an alternative to the sugary disco scene, youngsters in the South Bronx created hip-hop. Don't be confused with the rap of today, rap and hip hop are related but not the same.

Bringin' da noyze, yeah boyeeeeeeeee

S F
Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline Wild Hyacinth

• Jack of all trades,Master of none.
  • Grapehead
                                  What about the "The Greatful Dead"you need to be on drugs to enjoy this stuff!

moe-jo

Offline Waldo Twitchell

• Bonehead
How about Sweet?
They had a string of hits in the 70s (ie. Ballroom Blitz, Fox on the Run) amongst others like Little Willy and Wig Wam Bam. It's one of those groups that seemed to change styles with every album, then they were all but forgotten. I think their last hit was Love Like Oxygen from 1978.

This is one of those bands that are a guilty pleasure for me. I enjoy some of their stuff a lot, other songs I can't listen to the whole way through.

Offline percytheslice

• Grapehead
oh no.....not Pearl Jam
here's a few to get your head around -

Tina Turner
Justin Timberlake
Snoop Dod
Ice Cube

PtSlice

Offline percytheslice

• Grapehead

Offline FineBari3

• Master Stooge
  • Knothead
oh no.....not Pearl Jam

BIG yes on Pearl Jam!

I worked at a used record store when Cobain offed himself. Big deal, they had one album! Fukkin' kids in the marching band I taught were running in the woods and crying, like he was John Lennon!

Many people have tried to explain to me how great he was and blah, blah. That was when I officially became not with it anymore, 1994, when I was 24.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline FineBari3

• Master Stooge
  • Knothead
How about Sweet?
I think their last hit was Love Like Oxygen from 1978.

Oh, yeaaah! Forgot about that one!

Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
BIG yes on Pearl Jam!

I worked at a used record store when Cobain offed himself. Big deal, they had one album! Fukkin' kids in the marching band I taught were running in the woods and crying, like he was John Lennon!

Many people have tried to explain to me how great he was and blah, blah. That was when I officially became not with it anymore, 1994, when I was 24.

You're confusing Pearl Jam with Nirvana. Pearl Jam is the group with the lead singer who lathered up Neil Young's nuts on a constant basis. Pearl Jam is a yes.

I do agree that too much was made of Cobain however. First, it was his choice to die whereas it was not Lennon's choice. Secondly he has nowhere near the canon that Lennon does. I think time has shown that perhaps people were a little too hasty in proclaiming Cobain a musical deity. I will say however that I do like Nirvana and the musical movement that he helped spearhead was really the last real rock movement. Try listening to some of what passes for rock music today and you'll come to appreciate Grunge as I have (I was in high school when all that was going on and not into it...more into the Beatles/60's-70's music resurgence of the time).
I like Sweet! They had some killer songs, and I can always just rock the fuck out Ballroom Blitz. Little Willy is a clunker though.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
oh no.....not Pearl Jam
here's a few to get your head around -

Tina Turner
Justin Timberlake
Snoop Dod
Ice Cube

PtSlice

Tina Turner - No
Timberlake - Yes at some point
Snoop Dogg - One of the most interesting and best suggestions I've gotten...definite yes
Ice Cube - No...but could tie in to the Snoop Dogg induction is the idea in my head right now pans out

An update on Kid Rock...I had an induction about 95% finished and foolishly went to bed without saving it...just leaving it open. Vista then decided it wanted to update so now I have to get around to writing it again.

Offline FineBari3

• Master Stooge
  • Knothead
You're confusing Pearl Jam with Nirvana.

Oh, God Damnit!

Pearl Jam was actually the last 'new' band I liked!!!!

I'm going back to bed and starting over...... [offheair]
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Oh, God Damnit!

Don't worry, it happens to all of us as we age :P.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Oh, God Damnit!

My brother and my friends from when I was a teenager still listen to newer stuff like Killswitch Engage and All That Remains, but I too am fitting the stereotype of not liking newer bands.  Perhaps I'm "normal" and they're "strange."

As for grunge, I just bought (downloaded) my first Nirvana album ever, the unplugged one, a few months ago.  It's pretty damn good.  My initial problem with the grunge movement was at the time, I was learning to play bass and everybody had this punk aesthetic against being good at your instrument.  Today, I recognize that Cobain was a better songwrite than Johnny Rotten and appreciate him for what he was instead of what he wasn't.  I also understand that Guns n' Roses and and Metallica aside, the late 80's and early 90's were a shitty time for mainstream American music and I can see how the grunge scene was needed.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
My brother and my friends from when I was a teenager still listen to newer stuff like Killswitch Engage and All That Remains, but I too am fitting the stereotype of not liking newer bands.  Perhaps I'm "normal" and they're "strange."

As for grunge, I just bought (downloaded) my first Nirvana album ever, the unplugged one, a few months ago.  It's pretty damn good.  My initial problem with the grunge movement was at the time, I was learning to play bass and everybody had this punk aesthetic against being good at your instrument.  Today, I recognize that Cobain was a better songwrite than Johnny Rotten and appreciate him for what he was instead of what he wasn't.  I also understand that Guns n' Roses and and Metallica aside, the late 80's and early 90's were a shitty time for mainstream American music and I can see how the grunge scene was needed.

Isn't that weird how we can look back on something like the Grunge scene now and like it but hate it when it was going down? I love groups like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins etc...but for some reason couldn't stand them as a teen.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Isn't that weird how we can look back on something like the Grunge scene now and like it but hate it when it was going down? I love groups like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins etc...but for some reason couldn't stand them as a teen.

I agree.  The thing was so much other music I genuinely did like was wrongly (in my eyes) deemed out of date that I just rebelled against that scene (though the Warrants and Poisons of the world got their just desserts).  Teenagers are fickle anyway.  I was too close minded to see the merits of the current scene while the majority of other kids were too close minded to see the merits of anyone not wearing flannel and playing downtuned guitars.  The majority of scenes have good and bad artists.

I did get into Oasis back in the day, thinking they were the closest thing to a modern day Beatles.  Now I understand that's not true, as they were closer to The Kinks.  Two fighting brothers, one the head songwriter, the other a lead guitarist, fighting all the time playing Brit-pop.  Hmmmm.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Another observation - you notice the way just about zero of the rap/hip-hop acts have any kind of longevity?  If they do, it's only because they become martyrs after their young deaths (Tupac, Biggie).  As critically acclaimed as they are, I see no young kids getting into Run D.M.C., N.W.A., or Public Enemy, and they'd all look at you like you're nuts if you ask if they're "down with O.P.P."  The genre continues to thrive culturally (for better or worse), but amongst the fan base, there's literally no sense of history.  I have yet to stumble upon a classic hip-hop station.

One more note: if rappers do have long careers, they have to branch out into other forms of entertainment.  See Ice Cube, Snoop Dog, Will Smith.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Another observation - you notice the way just about zero of the rap/hip-hop acts have any kind of longevity?  If they do, it's only because they become martyrs after their young deaths (Tupac, Biggie).  As critically acclaimed as they are, I see no young kids getting into Run D.M.C., N.W.A., or Public Enemy, and they'd all look at you like you're nuts if you ask if they're "down with O.P.P."  The genre continues to thrive culturally (for better or worse), but amongst the fan base, there's literally no sense of history.  I have yet to stumble upon a classic hip-hop station.

One more note: if rappers do have long careers, they have to branch out into other forms of entertainment.  See Ice Cube, Snoop Dog, Will Smith.

That kind of touches upon my idea for the Snoop Dogg induction. I was into gangsta rap in the early to mid 90's and still like to occasionally listen to such acts as N.W.A./Eazy-E/Ice Cube, Run-DMC, B.D.P. etc but once Snoop Dogg came to prominence I bowed out. I'll get more in-depth into that in my Snoop Dogg induction. By the time Tupac and Biggie came on the scene I had already moved on.

You're absolutely right about there not being a true sense of history in hip-hop. I believe part of it is the constant race for something new and to stay ahead of the curve; all genre's of music suffer from this but in rap it's major. A song from two years ago is considered ancient, and with such a lack of understanding and appreciation of the roots of rap music in general it's harder for the genre to be legitimized.