Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3 Stooges Collection 1934 - 1936, October 30

BeAStooge · 198 · 57000

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges 1934-1936 DVDs: October 30, 2007 - November 05, 2007

xraffle

The price went down aswell. Could it get any lower? ;D

Oh wait! The price just went down to $16.99. Ok, that's it. That price is too good to say no to. I'm pre-ordering my copy right now at Amazon.

*UPDATE: I just ordered it right now and picked Free Shipping and this is the shipping information that I received:
Shipping estimate: November 5, 2007
Delivery estimate: November 12, 2007 - November 16, 2007

It will be a long wait, but at least I saved some money.

Offline locoboymakesgood

That's not a bad price. I had my set pre-ordered somewher else, but I'll do it through Amazon.. it's cheaper and helps support Dunrobin. ;D

I'll have to see if I can find out what Best Buy will charge for it. I have a feeling it'll be close to $15.. but more likely $20.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

At Best Buy's site, the pre-order price is $19.99 but it usually goes down during it's release week if there is a sale. But, I'm not sure whether or not it will even be on sale.

I'm still shocked at how great the price is for this DVD. Sony used to charge $20 for only 5 shorts, but now they're charging less than $20 for 19 shorts.

Offline Hammond Eggar

I still don't think many people know about this set.. I don't think that people aren't interested. That, or maybe people are going to Best Buy to buy it on release day? Who knows?

I'm with you on this.  I rarely pre-order items from Amazon.  I prefer to see what places such as Best Buy and Wal-Mart will be charging.  If Amazon turns out to be cheaper, then I'll buy it that way.  As for the DVD collection, I first read about it through the Three Stooges Journal.  I don't think it's gotten much press or publicity.  DVDs of older titles, unless it's a Special Edition of sorts, rarely get heavy publicity.  At least it usually seems that way. [pie]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Hammond Eggar

OK, I just checked the Wal-Mart site and they have the DVD set priced at $19.87.  While that's not as good as Amazon's asking price, you still have to consider how much it will be after shipping costs.  I assume that would bring the Amazon price up to, at least, the same as Wal-Mart.  I'll probably buy from Wal-Mart, or some place like it.  I have a hard time waiting for things to arrive in the mail. ::)
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

xraffle

OK, I just checked the Wal-Mart site and they have the DVD set priced at $19.87.  While that's not as good as Amazon's asking price, you still have to consider how much it will be after shipping costs.  I assume that would bring the Amazon price up to, at least, the same as Wal-Mart.  I'll probably buy from Wal-Mart, or some place like it.  I have a hard time waiting for things to arrive in the mail. ::)

At Amazon, orders over $25 are eligible for Free Shipping. I ordered this DVD set along with a CD and I got Free Shipping. However, the Estimated Shipping Date is November 5, so it's going to be a long wait. Since you have a hard time waiting for things to arrive in the mail, you may have a problem with the long wait.

People who can buy DVDs at Walmart are really lucky. I live in New York, so going to Walmart isn't an option for me. I have to sacrifice extra cash to buy things at other places. That is why I immediately jumped at Amazon's offer when I saw that the price went down.

Offline locoboymakesgood

At Amazon, orders over $25 are eligible for Free Shipping.
That's lame. I'm not paying for shipping, especially from Amazon. When I ordered the colorized two-pack that was released back in '04, I pre-ordered them and payed for the cheapest shipping option.. I didn't get the DVDs until 3 weeks after they were released. I was pissed.

JH24

I think when you get free shipping Amazon will ship your items last because i just pre-ordered mine and it ships on the 30th of October and that was with shipping/handling charges.

On another note the sales rank got down to as low as 621 this morning.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Have any of you ever visited deepdiscount.com (Deep Discount)?  They specialize in CDs and DVDs, and they don't charge shipping on ANY items, regardless of how many items you may be purchasing.  I've gotten some good deals from them.  Deep Discount is currently asking $21.36 for the Stooges collection.  That's not too bad when you consider how much shipping will cost after buying from another site such as Amazon. :-\

xraffle

That's lame. I'm not paying for shipping, especially from Amazon. When I ordered the colorized two-pack that was released back in '04, I pre-ordered them and payed for the cheapest shipping option.. I didn't get the DVDs until 3 weeks after they were released. I was pissed.

I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed about this. Amazon is rediculous. They offer Free Shipping, yet if you pick the option, they piss you off by making you wait forever for your item. For example, the new DVD set is being released October 30, but they won't ship mine until November 5th. How stupid! Unfortunately, they have the best prices, so I learn to put up with it.

Have any of you ever visited deepdiscount.com (Deep Discount)?  They specialize in CDs and DVDs, and they don't charge shipping on ANY items, regardless of how many items you may be purchasing.  I've gotten some good deals from them.  Deep Discount is currently asking $21.36 for the Stooges collection.  That's not too bad when you consider how much shipping will cost after buying from another site such as Amazon. :-\

Not sure if you missed my last post, but Amazon offers Free Shipping for orders $25 and up, provided that you are willing to wait a month for it.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Not sure if you missed my last post, but Amazon offers Free Shipping for orders $25 and up, provided that you are willing to wait a month for it.

That's great, but what if your purchase doesn't cost $25?  Amazon is asking $17.50 for the Stooges collection.  If that's all I'm buying, I'd still have to pay for shipping.  That's not the case over at Deep Discount, however. [pie]

xraffle

That's great, but what if your purchase doesn't cost $25?  Amazon is asking $17.50 for the Stooges collection.  If that's all I'm buying, I'd still have to pay for shipping.  That's not the case over at Deep Discount, however. [pie]

Order Bruce Springsteen's new album "Magic" along with it. That's what I ordered with mine. ;D

But according to one of the threads on the "Music That Sucks" category, I see a lot of people here don't like Springsteen, so I have a hunch that not many people here are interested in ordering that CD along with the DVD.

JH24

Order the Looney Tunes Golden Collection volume 5 with it it comes out on the same day. You cant lose with that combo. ;D

Offline busybuddy

The Beatles' HELP! finally comes out on DVD that day as well!
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline Hammond Eggar

Order Bruce Springsteen's new album "Magic" along with it. That's what I ordered with mine. ;D

But according to one of the threads on the "Music That Sucks" category, I see a lot of people here don't like Springsteen, so I have a hunch that not many people here are interested in ordering that CD along with the DVD.

I'm not a big follower of Bruce's career, but I do have a great deal of respect for him and his talent.  As for the Music That Sucks board, I disagree with a great deal of the artists that get trashed.  I am a HUGE Beatles fan and actually love Paul McCartney's solo career.  So, I feel your pain when it comes to reading negative comments about the Boss.

As for adding something to an Amazon order just to get free shipping, that wouldn't be difficult.  For me, this fall is a great time for DVD releases.  Unfortunately, my financial situation is less than desirable.  At any rate, here are the DVDs I am most looking forward to adding to my collection.

The Three Stooges Collection, Volume One: 1934-1936
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Collection-One-1934-1936/dp/B000SSQ7JW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-0225692-7446027?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1190827986&sr=8-1

The Three Stooges: Extreme Rarities
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Extreme-Rarities/dp/B000LP5D6A/ref=pd_bbs_4/105-0225692-7446027?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1190827986&sr=8-4

The Three Stooges - Meet the Baron/The Gold Raiders 
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Meet-Baron-Raiders/dp/B000HWZ4FC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-0225692-7446027?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1190828184&sr=8-1

The Three Stooges: Swing Parade (1946)
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Swing-Parade/dp/B000LP5D5Q/ref=pd_sim_d_2/105-0225692-7446027?ie=UTF8&qid=1190828184&sr=8-1

The McCartney Years
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_d/002-5065612-5729606?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=mccartney

Help!
http://www.amazon.com/Help-Beatles/dp/B000VPUIAG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-0225692-7446027?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1190828344&sr=1-1

That '70s Show - Season 7 (1998)
http://www.amazon.com/That-70s-Show-Season-7/dp/B000TLTCTA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-0225692-7446027?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1190828378&sr=1-1

Saturday Night Live - The Complete Second Season
http://www.amazon.com/Saturday-Night-Live-Complete-Second/dp/B000VNMMVG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/105-0225692-7446027?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1190828413&sr=1-2

[pie]

xraffle

Order the Looney Tunes Golden Collection volume 5 with it it comes out on the same day. You cant lose with that combo. ;D

Now, let me say how wonderful it would be if I could get those Looney Tunes DVDs. I loved Looney Tunes as a kid and I still love them now. They are classics. However, the sets are just toooo expensive and I seriously doubt that all 1,000+ cartoons will be released on DVD. I already spent $50 on the first Popeye DVD set and to spend an extra $50 on a Looney Tunes set is just too much. Now one might say to me, "just buy one set." But, if I buy one set, I'll want them all. So five Looney Tunes sets at $50 each is $250 and that's for only about 300 cartoons out of the 1,000+ that were made. As wonderful as Looney Tunes cartoons are, it's really not worth the huge investment. I'd rather have no Looney Tunes than have Looney Tunes at the poor house.

JH24

Now, let me say how wonderful it would be if I could get those Looney Tunes DVDs. I loved Looney Tunes as a kid and I still love them now. They are classics. However, the sets are just toooo expensive and I seriously doubt that all 1,000+ cartoons will be released on DVD. I already spent $50 on the first Popeye DVD set and to spend an extra $50 on a Looney Tunes set is just too much. Now one might say to me, "just buy one set." But, if I buy one set, I'll want them all. So five Looney Tunes sets at $50 each is $250 and that's for only about 300 cartoons out of the 1,000+ that were made. As wonderful as Looney Tunes cartoons are, it's really not worth the huge investment. I'd rather have no Looney Tunes than have Looney Tunes at the poor house.

On Amazon.com there are sales on the sets that have already come out.

Like before volume 4 came out the first 3 were almost 50% off so keep your eyes pealed for any sales on the first four volumes before number 5s release date

Offline Hammond Eggar

On Amazon.com there are sales on the sets that have already come out.

Like before volume 4 came out the first 3 were almost 50% off so keep your eyes pealed for any sales on the first four volumes before number 5s release date

That's a good point.  He should also check some of the individual sellers on Amazon, as well.  I've found some good deals that way.  As an example, I bought my nephew a DVD copy of Star Wars: Episode V: Empire Strikes Back for his upcoming birthday.  It normally sells for $19.99.  Thanks to an individual seller at Amazon, I bought it for half that, and it was still sealed.  I don't doubt that a person could have similar success with some of the Looney Tunes DVD sets. [pie]

Offline archiezappa

That makes three great things coming out on the 30th of October:  Three Stooges, Beatles and Looney Tunes.  Great comedies all!

xraffle

But how low can these Looney Tunes set go? Even if it's as low as $30, that's still a lot of money. Let me remind you that there are over 1,000 of these cartoons to collect (1,116 total, according to TV.com). So, 1,116 cartoons at 60 per set is about 19 DVD sets. So, if I get all 19 on sale for $30, which I doubt will ever happen, that will equal $570. And that's assuming I get them all on sale. I don't even want to know how much it will be in total if there are some I don't get on sale. WB is asking way too much money for cartoon. They're just cartoons, for crying out loud. Why the hefty price?!?!

And I know I sound mad, but not angry at anyone here, I angry at WB for ripping us off with cartoons. When I bought the "Friends" sets, I paid $30 for some seasons and $17 is for the other seasons when they were on sale. That's not too bad. But to charge $30-50 for cartoon sets, that's just out of control.

Offline archiezappa

I know $50 is a lot for Looney Tunes.  I'm willing to pay that, since they are uncut, restored and loaded with extras.  But I wanted to get The Monkees television series.  The Monkees ran for two seasons.  Each season set is $80!  That's way too much.  I've been waiting for nearly four years for the price to come down, but it's not.  That makes me mad.  I'm mad at Rhino Home Video for that.

Yeah, the studios are proud of what they have.  I guess we should be considering ourselves lucky with these new low-priced Stooges DVD's.  Oh well.  Maybe we can get some good used sets of Monkees and Looney Tunes on Ebay!

Maybe.

xraffle

The Monkees ran for two seasons.  Each season set is $80!  That's way too much. 

Which is why I never bought The Twilight Zone DVDs. There are five seasons and it costs $70 for each season. Huge rip-off. For season sets, I don't pay more than $30 for half hour shows, I don't pay more than $50 for hour shows, and I don't pay more than $20 for cartoons (with the exception of Popeye because those cartoons are real good and there's not that many of them).

I would have bought the Tom and Jerry sets since they're only $20 each, but there have been a number of issues regarding those sets, so I decided not to buy them. If you're not sure what the issues are, just look the reviews at Amazon. There's a number of complaints there.

Offline Hammond Eggar

That's right.  $80 for a season of The Monkees is too much.  As a Monkees fan, I own season one.  Now, while I have not yet seen a season two set selling for $80, I have seen it going for as high as $60.  I think in this case it has a lot to do with the special packaging.  It's a box that, when you open it, looks like a record player.  Each disc comes in a sleeve that recreates one of the Monkees 45 picture sleeves.  That's clever, but too much of a money waster for me.  I have seen descent copies selling for less through individual sellers on Amazon.  Perhaps I'll go that route at some point.  Not anytime soon, however. :-\

Offline busybuddy

I paid 50 for my Martin and Lewis Collection, Volume 1, and it had no bonus features. Luckily the second set was only about $27. Another big rip-off is the Laurel and Hardy DVD's of their later films. They sell around $30 for only 2 movies! And not very good movies either.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline locoboymakesgood

Another big rip-off is the Laurel and Hardy DVD's of their later films. They sell around $30 for only 2 movies! And not very good movies either.
I think it's a really good deal. You get three movies, and awesome special features. They're not L&H's best work, but they're still decent. Definitely better than most crap churned out past 1990.