Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3 Stooges Collection 1934 - 1936, October 30

BeAStooge · 198 · 55680

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges 1934-1936 DVDs: October 30, 2007 - November 05, 2007

stooged and confused

I just got an email from my Sony contact, and as I suspected, there are NO bonus features on the upcoming box set. With a release date close at hand, I was wondering why Sony's site, let alone Amazon, was not mentioning anything.

As I posted before, I felt that the bonus features are being held out in hopes of making the Shemp and Joe sets sell better. We'll see.....

Offline locoboymakesgood

I personally could care less about special features. Yeah, it'd be cool the first time around, but I just want a complete, uncut set of all 190 shorts.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Hollister

Offline BeAStooge

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/catalog/catalogDetail_DVD043396211049.html

About the Film
CC: English (US)
Color/B&W: Color

Does this mean the shorts will be in only color and no B&W?

No colorization. The films will be 100%, original B&W.

(Based on their past history, don't take info. from Sony's website.)

Offline superstooge

Preordered my box set today.  I would, of course, like to have seen some special features, but I think there's time for that on future releases.  As somebody else said, I want to see all 190 shorts in chronological order, uncut, and I will be a happy man.  By the way, I hadn't seen any other posts about it, so if I missed it, I apologize.  But does anybody know what happened with the bizarre edit in Movie Maniacs on the DVD release of that film?  The kissing scene was completely missing.  Was this another goof similar to the Three Little Beers edit?  It always bugged me.
Oh, taking me illiterately, ey?

Offline BeAStooge

...what happened with the bizarre edit in Movie Maniacs on the DVD release of that film?  The kissing scene was completely missing.  Was this another goof similar to the Three Little Beers edit?

The upcoming 10/30 set is the DVD debut of MOVIE MANIACS (1936). It was released on VHS in 1983, repackaged/re-released in 1996.. complete in both cases.

The filmography page for MOVIE MANIACS explains the 50-year-old reason for the edited scene in some Screen Gems TV prints.

Offline superstooge

The upcoming 10/30 set is the DVD debut of MOVIE MANIACS (1936). It was released on VHS in 1983, repackaged/re-released in 1996.. complete in both cases.

The filmography page for MOVIE MANIACS explains the 50-year-old reason for the edited scene in some Screen Gems TV prints.

Thanks.  I don't know why I had it in my head that it was on one of the DVDs.   [doh]

Offline archiezappa

It's still strange to me the stuff they edited out for television from the Three Stooges and Looney Tunes.  They will not air some of them still today, but look at what else is on television.  It doesn't make sense, does it?

JH24

Back cover.

http://www.inthebalcony.com/

If anyone was still worried about the B&W-Color situation no need to be anymore because it says Black & White on the back cover.

xraffle

Back cover.

http://www.inthebalcony.com/

If anyone was still worried about the B&W-Color situation no need to be anymore because it says Black & White on the back cover.

Nice! Thanks for posting the back cover. You get a karma point for that.

Offline mike_nh

I just noticed on the bottom of the backside of the box it says ''remastered in high def''
Does this mean that the shorts are not restored and they are just using the old prints that they used in past dvd releases (not counting the color ones) just curious

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Thanks For Posting the box art. I just hope its available in stores as I like to pick out the copy I get. (and no smashed corners from mailed copies either). Does anyone know if it will be widely available or not?

IFleecem, President 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
I was just pleasantly surprised to see the list price for the collection is only 24.99 and amazon shows it at just 17.99.   Alright who's the wise guy. (and I mean that sincerely). Prices such as this warrant buying these not just for hardcore Stooge fans but comedy fans in general.

I Fleecem, President

stooged and confused

Remastered in high definition means they have been restored and digitally remastered. The Chromachoice sets were remastered in high definition so it is configured for 16x9 TV's.

stooged and confused

Since nobody has viewed the discs yet, it can't be confirmed, but I've been told that all titles on the first volume are RESTORED and will NOT be the prints on old DVD's like Curly Classics and the several titles that followed. They should be of the quality on the Goofs on the Loose and Stooges On The Run projects (which were the color/B&W option discs). The prints used on those sets were amazing and should be of the same quality on the first chronological set. Remastered in high definition is different from the previous sets that stated digitally mastered audio and video.

stooged and confused

Also, I'm as hopeful as all of you are, but Sony has yet to confirm a full release of all 190 titles or number of volumes as of yet.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Also, I'm as hopeful as all of you are, but Sony has yet to confirm a full release of all 190 titles or number of volumes as of yet.
Can you find if they atleast are considering it?

stooged and confused

I have already inquired and the word at this time is they have not confirmed a timeline or documented (for the public) a full 190 release package. I'm sure they are waiting to see how well the sets that do get released sell before they commit to the entire series.

Offline superstooge

I have already inquired and the word at this time is they have not confirmed a timeline or documented (for the public) a full 190 release package. I'm sure they are waiting to see how well the sets that do get released sell before they commit to the entire series.

Then I guess it's up to us Stooge fans to make sure they sell well so we get all 190.  [stooges]

xraffle

Then I guess it's up to us Stooge fans to make sure they sell well so we get all 190.  [stooges]

Well, the sales rank at Amazon is very poor. I've been checking the sales rank everyday and the rank ranges from 800-1,200.  While this rank is much better than the ranks of the colorized DVDs, it is still low. As we get closer and closer to the release date, I haven't been seeing much improvement. That means that not many people are pre-ordering. Usually, with upcoming releases at Amazon, pre-orders are usually in the 100-200 range, which is what I was expecting with this set. Spiderman 3 also comes out October 30 and it's rank is 26 right now.

Offline Dagurasu

Well, I just ordered this set along with Volume 5 of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection. Rank for the 3 Stooges Collection is number 666. Hmmm.... Don't know about that number.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
666 is a great number! My area code is 248. The # is 666-####

I've actually had people from work refuse to call me on production problems at night, when I am on-call, because of the 666 exchange. Fine with me!

I get to sleep... someone else takes the call!  >:D

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline locoboymakesgood

The price went down aswell. Could it get any lower? ;D
I still don't think many people know about this set.. I don't think that people aren't interested. That, or maybe people are going to Best Buy to buy it on release day? Who knows?

xraffle

That, or maybe people are going to Best Buy to buy it on release day?

I plan to buy it from Best Buy a few days after it's released. Amazon is too slow with shipping. The reason I'm not buying it on the first day is because I want to make sure "Three Little Beers" is unedited. Once I get the official word that it's uncut, then I'll run immediately to Best Buy to grab a copy.