Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

#34: Bruce Springsteen

shemps#1 · 43 · 21809

Dog Hambone

I should have guessed that dissing Bruce Springsteen would cause a controversary. shemps#1, you'll be glad to know I agree with you.

I do recall that in my college days in eastern Virginia, Springsteen & his bands (one was named Steel Mill & one was named Child) used to make tour stops in town. This was before he was making any records. He & his band did put on a lively show, & it impressed me that they used to play for hours on end, unlike many touring bands that stop in town, play one short set, & leave. At least you could say you got your money's worth.

I always thought that playing live was probably his forte. His albums all sucked, being a monotone drone for the entire length of the album. That was his electric stuff; the acoustic stuff was even worse. He may as well have used the same song over & over for the duration of the album. He did have a way with lyrics, but don't try to tell me he could write melodies. And he certainly didn't do a very good job "singing" them. He was a rock 'n roll shouter at best.

To be fair, in several of the rock bands I played in (keyboards & guitar), "Pink Cadillac" was in our set list, & it was a fun song to play. Much more fun than listening to the original. My wife was the singer, & she did a killer version.

He also blew what little cred he may have had by getting involved in policitcs in the 2004 election. What kind of a shallow moron would vote for someone because Springsteen had endorsed them?       

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
He also blew what little cred he may have had by getting involved in policitcs in the 2004 election. What kind of a shallow moron would vote for someone because Springsteen had endorsed them?   

The same kind of twits who would vote for any politician in the first place, naturally.  (They're obviously not too bright to begin with.)

>:D

Offline JazzBill

• Knothead
As a young boy, I remember sitting in front of the TV and waiting for the Three Stooges to start. Then Joe Bessers kisser would come on and I would hear " Hello-Helloo- Hellooo----Hello". Then it would be time to get up and change the station. Well, thats pretty much the feeling I get when I hear a Bruce Springsteen song come on the radio.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

str8Nyuk

Ahhhh...this was the topic that got me orriginally banned about 18 mos. ago! I have no intention of beating a dead horse, but I will forge ahead as You ignored my point...perhaps you will address it now.

My point was the influence that his live shows made on his audiences. It's true that only about 1 out of 4 of his songs were good, but his live presentation, and tight band, put him heads above more talented singers. The man would carry on and on, sweating like a pig, singing until his raspy voice was shredded...leaping from the top of 6 ft. high speakers and landing on his knees!

If you have not seen him live, in the 70's, then you are not fully qualified to critique..( I have not seen him live either, but I trust the opinion of those that have)

A word about "Bossbooster"...he is a pal of mine from, of course N.J....and a dyed in the wool Boss man...Im from St. Louis, and a lifelong Card fan..in that regard, I hold over both of you!

BTW, my favorite songs on the album in question, "Born to run" are " 10th Ave. freezeout" and "Backstreets"....I love NO OTHER Springsteen songs.

Finally...surprized to see that Baggy is a Hottie, and not a Doggie. (Unless that is a picture of her grandaughter)

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

If you have not seen him live, in the 70's, then you are not fully qualified to critique..

That's not true at all; you don't have to go to a someone's concert to critique their music. All you have to do is listen to the music yourself. After all, why would you want to go to a concert if you don't like the performer's music in the first place?

I had completely forgotten about this whole mess. It's funny to look back on and laugh at how this Mook declared that some obscure Springsteen song has the best melody of all time. And to sign up on this site just to argue with me about my opinion of Bruce Springsteen, it's a wonder your friend is able to function in the real world.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

In 1984 Springsteen would reach megastardom with the album Born In The USA. This album can best be described as an eyesore for the ears, with such horrible songs as the title track, "Dancing In The Dark" (the MTV video features a young Courtney Cox), "Glory Days", and "My Hometown". The album contained seven hit singles in all and sold over ten million copies. Springsteen had officially "arrived", and I began banging my head against the wall hoping the music would go away.

I failed to read this thread when it was started, but since it was brought up, I decided to read it. I'm not going to lie, I'm a fan of Springsteen. You have very interesting reasons for not liking his music. So, I understand why you hate them. However, I'm shocked why you wouldn't like his album "Born In The USA." I thought that was his best album. I really liked most of the songs, especially Darlington County and No Surrender. Those weren't exactly his top songs, but I really liked them.

However, let me say, I can't blame you one bit for not liking his album "Nebraska." As a fan, I absolutely hated that album. I don't know what became of Springsteen when he made that one, but he wasn't himself. Another bad album he made was "The Ghost of Tom Joad." Since you didn't mention that album, I'm not sure if you heard it. If you didn't, consider yourself lucky because that's his worst album.

xraffle

I hate to resurrected this thread, but Bruce Springsteen's new album "Working On a Dream" just came out. I'm glad I didn't buy it. I listened to the songs on YouTube and they are horrible. The lyrics and music are so corny. As a fan of this guy, I think this album sucks! Other fans may disagree, but I felt he could've done a MUCH better job than this. Just listen to songs like: Outlaw Pete and Queen of the Supermarket. They sound ridiculous.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Other fans may disagree, but I felt he could've done a MUCH better job than this.

I agree whole heartily, but then I'm not a Springsteen fan by any means.   ;)

Offline vomit

• Puddinhead
  • Shemp RULES!
BS sings like he has to take dump and can't!!!  Just don't like his music that much.....bring on the Motorhead!
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
bring on the Motorhead!

Sure, why not.

[youtube=425,350]gV6noHEd6XE[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

BS sings like he has to take dump and can't!!!  Just don't like his music that much.....bring on the Motorhead!

LOL, yeah I notice that when he performs live. He sings like he's constipated. Other than that, I think he's a great performer.

Offline vomit

• Puddinhead
  • Shemp RULES!

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
OK, update.

I got a friend worships Springsteen.  The thing with him is he's more a lyrics guy and I'm more a music guy (and when I do want lyrics, I'll take a writer like Ray Davies, who is actually human and has a sense of humor, unlike "The Boss").  Anywho, he makes me this 20 song playlist trying to convert me, and I still don't get it!  It's all about the words according to him, but the problem is I can't understand his mumbling half the time, and when I do, he's too melodramatic for me.

The irony is the stuff I like the most, or I should say closest to liking, with Springsteen is when he's more stripped down like on NEBRASKA.  The E street band is way too over the top for me as I prefer my rock bands to mostly be guitar/bass/drum oriented. 

I for the life of me don't get the Springsteen worship the world has and how people act like I have a disorder for not getting the guy.  Bring on Motorhead indeed.  Lemmy rules.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

• Master Stooge
  • Puddinhead
As I've often said:
Some call him "The Boss" but he's never been mine (nor ever will be).

I do appreciate his talent (I ain't sayin' he stinks), I just never cared for his stuff.

xraffle

Funny thing that this thread got resurrected since I just bought the "London Calling" concert on Blu-ray. It's 3 hours long and the whole band played non-stop. I am amazed at the amount of energy this guy has at age 60. I hope he's not on drugs. :o

Springsteen is the kind of singer you either love or hate. I, personally, love his music and they way performs them makes me like them even more. But what's funny about Springsteen is the way he changes his music. Each album takes on a whole new direction and it takes a while to get used to. It's hard to explain. But not everyone is into that, which is why I can understand why so many people hate him. Sometimes, I admit, he has disappointed me. But most of the time, he impresses me. This new London concert is one of those that impressed me. It was the best Springsteen concert I've seen. And that is why I'm a proud Springsteen fan. And since there are many Springsteen haters here, I hope I won't get banned for saying that. :-[

;D

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Xraffle, you have one week to write "I hate Springsteen" 1000 times, or I'm banning you.  You need at at least 1500 posts to profess a love of Springsteen on this site, and you only have 1490.   [pie]

I have no problem listening to artists whose music takes getting used to, I just don't care for Springsteen's voice, his melodramatic writing, his overly arranged E street band, or the fact the guy takes himself too seriously (I put U2 in the same category, but Bono has a better voice).  But hey, I know a lot of people whose music tastes I normally respect that like Springsteen, so more power to you.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the new Clash archival live release, "Born To Run."
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

• Master Stooge
  • Puddinhead

I have no problem listening to artists whose music takes getting used to, I just don't care for Springsteen's voice, his melodramatic writing, his overly arranged E street band, or the fact the guy takes himself too seriously (I put U2 in the same category).

You have expressed my feelings PERFECTLY and exactly!

marcelus23

I hate to resurrected this thread, but Bruce Springsteen's new album "Working On a Dream" just came out. I'm glad I didn't buy it. I listened to the songs on YouTube and they are horrible. The lyrics and music are so corny. As a fan of this guy, I think this album sucks! Other fans may disagree, but I felt he could've done a MUCH better job than this. Just listen to songs like: Outlaw Pete and Queen of the Supermarket. They sound ridiculous.

I think the same thing you are right

:::::::: MARCUS LORE :::::::::

Webmaster's note:  Nice try, Marcus, but no cigar.  If you try to sneak a SPAM message in you get banned.
 Banned for trying to get around the SPAM restrictions.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:29:43 AM by Dunrobin »