Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

People you think the Stooges look like

Are there any well-known people that the Stooges sometimes remind you of appearance-wise?

I think Larry (particularly if you don't see his hair and bald spot) can look a lot like Monty Python's Graham Chapman, or maybe Ringo Starr.  In some shots (particularly where he's older and has his hair combed down) he reminds me of Don Knotts.

And I think Shemp, in some very early pics, looks like Monty Python's Michael Palin.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline porcupinefan87

I completely agree about Larry looking like Ringo Starr. I'm a huge Beatle fan and I remember as a kid when I first got into the Three Stooges, my uncle would go "You know, Larry's always reminded me of Ringo". We talked about it again recently, and I totally agree. Something about the look and the whole relaxed essence. The sort of "I'm in the background but still very needed" thing that they both have going on haha.

They're all pretty distinct looking though, so it's hard to really find people they look like. Sometimes Curly reminds me of the guy who plays the cowardly Lion in "The Wizard of Oz" though.

"Roses are red, and how do you do? Drink four of these and...woob woob woob woob!" - Curly, 'No Census, No Feeling'
------------
"Ehhh....money shrinks!!!" - Shemp, 'Don't Throw That Knife'
------------
"Even the comedians that make you laugh the hardest, have tragedies in their lives.  Laughter is all we have against the pain of life and death." - Larry Fine

Offline busybuddy

I have noticed that during the "On the Go" stooges interview that Larry even has Ringo's mannerisms. I've talked about the Larry/Ringo connection many times.

Anyone ever watch the Sci Fi series Ghosthunters? The two head guys, Jay and Grant, look a lot like Curly and Moe. This morning my girlfriend told me that she thought that Emeril looks like Moe. I can maybe see that.
I think Birdie will go for that!

moe-jo

I think Larry looks like George Harrison, Curly like John Belushi, Shemp like Jim Carrey.

Offline busybuddy

I think Larry looks like George Harrison, Curly like John Belushi, Shemp like Jim Carrey.

I think you've got George Harrison mixed up with Ringo Starr. Ringo and Larry look a lot alike.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline archiezappa

Dog Hambone

Anyone ever watch the Sci Fi series Ghosthunters? The two head guys, Jay and Grant, look a lot like Curly and Moe. This morning my girlfriend told me that she thought that Emeril looks like Moe. I can maybe see that.

Hmmm, I watch that show every week. Never noticed the similarity before, though. Now that you've brought it up, I'll see Moe & Curly every time I see Grant & Jason!

moe-jo

This morning my girlfriend told me that she thought that Emeril looks like Moe. I can maybe see that.
I never thought of that...he kinda does!

Offline Fake Shemp

I think that Crispin Glover totally bares an uncanny resemblance to Shemp.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I think that Crispin Glover totally bares an uncanny resemblance to Shemp.
I've always thought that too, but I think it's his hair more than anything.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I always thought F. Murray Abraham, about 10-20 years ago, bore a resemblance to Shemp.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline archiezappa

In the old Addams Family television series, I always thought they owed a lot to the old comedy teams.  I always thought it was interesting to see Gomez as a sort of Groucho Marx playing off of Uncle Fester as a sort of Curly.  Jackie Coogan borrows a lot from Curly.  Just as Gomez borrows a lot from Groucho.  I've just noticed that recently, since I bought the Addams Family tv series on DVD.

Offline Senorita Rita

I think Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez bears more than a passing resemblance to Curly.

And I'm not entirely convinced that Ringo isn't Larry's secret love child.  ;)
...to say the least, if not less...

Offline archiezappa

Didn't the Stooges visit England in 1939 or 1940, because Ringo was born in 1940.  Has anyone compared pictures of Ringo Starr with Larry's son?