Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Get your Stooge DVD/Blu Ray reviews here!

xraffle

Wow! My set shipped yesterday and it just arrived today. And this is free shipping too. Now that's what I call Super Soivice! Good work, Amazon!

I checked Slaphappy Sleuths. Yeah, the audio is clipped badly, but it's no biggie.

Offline falsealarms

Offline falsealarms

DVD Talk's V 7 review was finally posted and I included it on the first page of this thread.... their reviews, often done by a Stuart Galbraith, are consistently the best ones to read.

GOOF ON THE ROOF is one of the highest rated shorts here, but don't count the reviewer as a fan -

"Though definitely released in Vitascope, Columbia's 1.85:1 cropped widescreen process, this short's super-tight compositions suggest it may have been shot for 1.37:1 and filmed in late-1952 or early-'53, long before its December 1953 release. In any case, despite the complete absence of stock footage and tried-and-true home destruction gags, this dreary short is a long way from the Stooges' classic shorts. Ironically, the story concerns the trio's disastrous efforts to install a friend's television set and antenna. This wasn't the first Stooge short to feature a television, but it was the first to do so in the wake of the new medium's impact on the film industry. The sight gags are badly executed in this one; when Larry's stunt double is funnier than Larry, something ain't right. It was also the last original short penned by Clyde Bruckman, one of screen comedy's brightest gag men, who in 1955 borrowed a pistol from his pal Buster Keaton, drove to a Santa Monica restaurant, and shot himself in the restroom. (* 1/2)"

Offline JLNeibaur

DVD Talk's V 7 review was finally posted and I included it on the first page of this thread.... their reviews, often done by a Stuart Galbraith, are consistently the best ones to read.

I like that Stuart offers such a thorough short-by-short review.  That was indeed Emil Sitka's voice and him in the gorilla suit in Bubble Trouble.  Sitka would do the voice for fans in later years, and confirmed that it was indeed him.  He frequently did his own stunt work.

JN

Offline falsealarms

Review added for DR DEATH: SEEKER OF SOULS under "other."

From the review, a large pic from Moe's short cameo in the film -

Offline esb100

On Volume 3, I noticed that in "A Plumbing We Will Go," the scene where the policeman is chasing the boys, who are fleeing in the "Joe the Plumber" truck, seems to end too abruptly, with the policeman falling into the wet cement mix, sitting up and saying "What the . . ?!" I thus dug out the episode from my 18-yr old VHS copy recorded from a television broadcast, and discovered that the TV version does indeed contain a slightly longer version of that scene, continuing for a few more seconds after the DVD's scene ends, with the policeman leaning back down, sitting back up, and saying another "What the . . .?!" before the scene ends. Certainly an omission of no substance, but it's odd that the DVD omits material included in the TV version.

xraffle

On Volume 3, I noticed that in "A Plumbing We Will Go," the scene where the policeman is chasing the boys, who are fleeing in the "Joe the Plumber" truck, seems to end too abruptly, with the policeman falling into the wet cement mix, sitting up and saying "What the . . ?!" I thus dug out the episode from my 18-yr old VHS copy recorded from a television broadcast, and discovered that the TV version does indeed contain a slightly longer version of that scene, continuing for a few more seconds after the DVD's scene ends, with the policeman leaning back down, sitting back up, and saying another "What the . . .?!" before the scene ends. Certainly an omission of no substance, but it's odd that the DVD omits material included in the TV version.

I’m going to check that tonight when I get home. I always remembered this short having two “What the….” in it when the policeman falls in the cement. I’m sure I would’ve definitely spotted it if there was such an edit. I’ll check tonight and confirm.

xraffle

I'm back to confirm. No such edit on my copy. The policeman says "What the.." twice on my Vol. 3 DVD.  ???

Offline locoboymakesgood

I have no other copies to go off of, but what I believe the OP is stating is the Volume 3 DVD shaves off a second or two after the officer says "What the...?!", by abruptly changing scenes whereas the broadcast version from the 80s has a bit more time between the end of "What the...?!" and the next scene.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

I have no other copies to go off of, but what I believe the OP is stating is the Volume 3 DVD shaves off a second or two after the officer says "What the...?!", by abruptly changing scenes whereas the broadcast version from the 80s has a bit more time between the end of "What the...?!" and the next scene.

But every copy I've watched has that abrupt change right after the policeman says the second "What the-." I have an old 1980 VHS copy that my father had, I've seen this many times on TV (TBS, Family Channel, and AMC), and I've watched this on Curly Classics DVD and now the Volume 3 DVD. All are the same.

I'm so confused.

Offline esb100

OP Reporting Back -- Very odd. I played the DVD Vol.3 scene again from "A Plumbing," and this time what played was the complete scene of the policeman in the cement mix, with two "What the" statements. It was a different player than the one I played the DVD on the first time, when the scene cut off early (after the first "What the"), so maybe that explains it. Turns out nothing is missing from the DVD version and I was complaining about something that wasn't there. Sorry for any wasted time

xraffle

Sounds like your DVD skipped. Check the bottom of your disc and clean off any smudge or dirt.

Offline falsealarms

Offline QuinceHead

and a third:

http://mon.vipublog.com/leah9171263/tag/vol-8-1955-1959-discount/

Since these are blog reviews, I'm not sure if they "count" or not, but here's the info just the same.

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Offline falsealarms

Thanks for these links.

The master list has been updated and includes a second review from DVD Talk and it's the better of the two linked.

Offline Sean Ferguson

Thanks Xraffle! I'm glad you liked it and I appreciate your taking the time to let me know!

Offline falsealarms

Added three reviews of the Rare Treasures set that I don't remember seeing before. The DVD Drive In and the Cinema Sentries reviews are probably worth checking out first.