Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Sony DVD box set up for pre-order on Amazon

BeAStooge · 126 · 31711

stooged and confused

Actually, the Amazon price is a pre order quote, NOT a suggested retail price. The retail price is in line with most DVD TV season style releases. The word is this will be out by the end of 2007, but may surface as early as October. The discs are still being worked on and so is the cover art/layout and yet to be determined title of the set.

ThumpTheShoes

The discs are still being worked on ...

Since they're already at this stage, how about getting on the horn, using that direct number you have, and ask what they're gonna do about the 3-d Shemp shorts, Spooks! and Pardon My Backfire. Are they gonna be flat versions, only? Or, maybe anaglyph 3-d with goofy glasses included in the box?

Use some of that muscle and clout you got and get us the 411!

-Thump

stooged and confused

I will find out about the 3D info, but I can tell you based on what I've been told thus far, Sony isn't  even close to making a decision about that far into the series.

I have been invited to call monthly for updates on this upcoming and all future (hopefully) releases.

As soon as I get the latest information and/or an official press release, I will post it here ASAP!!

xraffle

I live in New York, so I read the New York Post newspaper everyday. While glancing through the pages, I found this article.

If you read the last paragraph, it mentions that Sony plans to release all the shorts chronologically in sets starting this Fall in black & white.

Offline Justin T

I live in New York, so I read the New York Post newspaper everyday. While glancing through the pages, I found this article.

If you read the last paragraph, it mentions that Sony plans to release all the shorts chronologically in sets starting this Fall in black & white.

WOO HOO!! Nice to see some more confirmation in the newspapers. Thanks for posting this xraffle!
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline 3Stooges

It would be nice for Sony to also include those Columbia cartoons that have Stooge cameos like "Hollywood Picnic." They've never been released on DVD and now would be a good time to do it.

xraffle

I'm glad I was able to make everyone's day but, this is something that just happened to be mentioned in the newspaper. It still hasn't officially been announced by Sony. Before anyone starts celebrating, I would wait until stooged and confused provides us with the latest info about this release.

Offline JazzBill

Hmmmmmmmmm.  [duck]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

xraffle

I would wait until this gets officially announced by the Great stooged and confused. Because, don't forget, he's got connections with Sony!!

stooged and confused

Hi to all:

I just got off the phone with my Sony contact and the light for the DVD set is a bright(o) green!!

There still is no official release date being issued yet, but I was told to call back next week and I will be given all the details that we've been waiting for.

I should have Sony's official press department confirmation by next Friday!!

Offline Double Crosser

Excellent news!  Hey Stooged and Confused, did you hear if this will be released on Blu-ray disc? 

stooged and confused

To my knowledge, the set is not scheduled for a Blu Ray format release. However, I will confirm that for you when I call next week to get the finalized update from Sony.

xraffle

Wow! Congrats to the Great stooged and confused for this wonderful news. It is great to have someone who has connections. Once he gets the official word next Friday, it is a sure thing. We don't need Sony's official announcement. What we need is the official announcement from stooged and confused. Any questions, ask him, not Sony.

Offline Double Crosser

To my knowledge, the set is not scheduled for a Blu Ray format release. However, I will confirm that for you when I call next week to get the finalized update from Sony.
Ok, don't double cross me! :D ;)

Offline JazzBill

I just got off the phone with my connection also, I'm going to stop by and pick up an ounce later.  [pot]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

stooged and confused

I want to throw this out to all of you and see what you think.

Back in late 1979 and early 1980, I was on Chicago radio. A friend of mine and I interviewed all of the living relatives and filmmakers that were associated with the Stooges. We did an extensive interview with Moe's daughter Joan and her late husband Norman Maurer. We also spent a great deal of time with Morris Feinberg, Larry's brother.

Additionally, we also were fortunate enough to be given lots of time with Ed Bernds, Emil Sitka and Joe Besser, among others. The only one not intersted in talking to us was Jules White.

We presented our telephone interviews on a 2 hour radio broadcast called "A Tribute To The Three Stooges." At that time, the only serious information that was available on the team was Moe's autobiography. Lots of great insight was shed on Curly's failing health by Joan. She also recalled some moments on the Columbia lot during the 40's when the team was at their peak with Curly.

Ed Bernds shared his fondness for Shemp, and Emil Sitka was such a nice man and was so appreciative that his work with the Stooges was so fondly remembered by so many.

I would have to do some digging, but I still have cassette tapes from the original broadcast of our interviews somewhere in a closet from the last house move I made 7 years ago. I'd have to listen to them again and see if the phone broadcast quality was as good as I remember (it's been a long time). I thought since I have gotten chummy with the Sony publicity department, I thought I might mention these interviews to see if they felt they were worthy to include on future box sets for audio commentary as "bonus" features on the DVD's.

If enough of you were interested, I could use that as bait to entice Sony.

I can tell you that the equipment we had was a few years after the Marconi era! At one point, I remember the reel to reel machine motor failing and I had to move the reel by hand to keep the audio playing at the correct speed! If you think it's worth digging for the tapes, listening to them and seeing if our green broadcasting skills(at that time) and our enthusiasm for interviewing these fine people didn't over shadow their insight, then I would agree to make these interviews available to Sony for future releases if they would be interested.

I thought I'd see how all of you felt about this and take it from there.

ThumpTheShoes

If, and only if, you are telling the truth, and if these alleged tapes are in usable condition, the only way you'll get money from them is to sell them-- either the tapes themselves, or make your own cd's. There would be far too much legal crap to clear up and, I hate to break it to you, but Sony won't pay you crap for their use. If you truly have a connection to them, you'd know how things work.

End of line.

-MC

er, Thump! Sorry!

stooged and confused

Jeez, Thump! Why so hostile? Don't be so "pesseristic" as Moe once said. Of course the tapes are real. I hate to break it to you, but I do have better things to do with my time than to make things up to strangers on a website.

I have a great fondness for The Three Stooges and thought I would share that with the others who feel the same way.

I am well aware that Sony, if interested, wouldn't pay squat for my materials. I didn't bring it up for the reason of any profit--big or small. I was more interested in getting the material out to the fans. It would be up to Sony to deal with the legalities.

However, seeing as I am the owner of the interviews, if I did sell them to Sony, I'm pretty sure that they could do as they wished with them from there on in.

xraffle

Jeez, Thump! Why so hostile? Don't be so "pesseristic" as Moe once said. Of course the tapes are real. I hate to break it to you, but I do have better things to do with my time than to make things up to strangers on a website.

I have a great fondness for The Three Stooges and thought I would share that with the others who feel the same way.

I am well aware that Sony, if interested, wouldn't pay squat for my materials. I didn't bring it up for the reason of any profit--big or small. I was more interested in getting the material out to the fans. It would be up to Sony to deal with the legalities.

However, seeing as I am the owner of the interviews, if I did sell them to Sony, I'm pretty sure that they could do as they wished with them from there on in.

Now, I don't mean to be a jerk here, but you really should provide some kind of proof that you do, indeed, have connections with Sony. I don't know how, but prove it somehow. Because I, too, can go around saying that I have connections. Anyone can. I don't know you personally and neither do the other people on this site. So, none of us can be too sure that what you're saying is true. Notice, when I mentioned about this set being released, I provided a link. Any chance that you could provide one as well to back up your claims?

ThumpTheShoes

Hostile? Nothing I said in my post about your "tapes" was hostile. Pessimistic? Hey, guilty as charged! Trouble is, you don't seem to have anything to substantiate any of your claims, yet, you continually draw attention to yourself. Attention from, as you put it, strangers on a website, no less. To me, that is questionable, if not, suspect behaviour.

For better, for worse, you have my feelings on the issue. Suffice to say, until you bring something concrete to the table (read:this message board) I will continue to be skeptical.

-Th

stooged and confused

I'm sorry I brought the whole thing up. All I was trying to do was help shed some light for the other Stooge fans.

I will post the information for all of you as soon as it is made available for the public. I talked to the Sony rep the other day and she asked that I not "leak" anything until they make it official. I agreed as I don't want to burn a bridge with them when future details for upcoming projects will be needed.

There is not much else I can do to display "proof" besides my word at this point, which is good. Sony asked me not to print anything until they make it official which should be sometime this week. I will respect their wishes.

As for the interview tapes, once I locate them, I can ask a friend of mine who does podcasts for the comic book sector to air exerpts of them and post the link here.

I would be more than happy to share those interviews with all of you.

stooged and confused

It's a shame that these posts are becoming so sarcastic/pessimistic.

I posted on July 17th that the set would be released by the end of the year, with a projected date of late October.

On July 30th, XRaffle came across an article about the set.

On August 3rd, JH 24 saw that Amazon changed the release date to October 30th.

Now, I obviously didn't make all of this information up and have these coincidences materialize 13 and 16 days after my original post.

Sony has given me an "off the record' response to my inquiry and asked that I don't go public with it until they are ready. I'm not burning that bridge, folks. I hope you can all understand that. I realize that in today's society, we can become easily jaded. I also know that we've been frustrated with how the Stooges releases have been handled as of late. I am a major fan of the team and respect other fans and would not waste your time or mine, by posting bogus information.

Take care and I will post the official word once I get the approval (which should be granted by Friday).