Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

A Few Random Lingo Links...

Offline Senorita Rita

...so the next time you're watching a 3 Stooges film (or any old movie for that matter,) you'll be familiar with some of the slang and terminology that may come up:

http://home.earthlink.net/~dlarkins/slang-pg.htm  And how!

www.miskatonic.org/slang.html Spread out, ya mugs.

http://swingmonkey.50megs.com/Slang.htm  Cool, man, real George. Gimme some skin!

www.pass.to/glossary  We got no time for kibbitzers.
...to say the least, if not less...

Pilsner Panther

Lissen, Toots, them links of yours is the cat's pajamas! I'll pick yez up at eight in me new Hudson Six Cabriolet, and then we'll go out and shake the tootsies!

Nyuk Nyuk Nuyk..!

Offline Senorita Rita

"ski, -avous: these are two suffixes (derived from Russian and French, respectively) used in flapper parlance to “dress up” normal words.  The suffix could be added to any word.  There was only one hard and fast rule: if you responded to a question containing a suffix, you had to use the same part of speech somehow.  Example: “Would you like a drink-avous?” “No thanks, I’m on the wagon-avous.” “The sun-ski is so bright!” “Put on a hat-ski.”

I guess "ski" was like the "izzle" of the 1920's. I'm sure it was just as annoying...I think I'll start using a few of the more obscure of these terms, just to get a reaction out of people. Fashion from the 20's is back in style, so why not? I think "simolian" deserves a comeback.  ;D

Offline Senorita Rita

A few more:

- Teenage slang from the twenties - a good-looking guy was a sheik or jazzbo
a good-looking girl was a sheba or she might also be the berries, your sweet patootie, the cat's pajamas, or the bee's knees.
If a sheik tried to flirt with a sheba she might say "Applesauce!" or "So's your anchovie."
One of the worst insults to call someone was "wet"; it meant completely dull, unfashionable, boring.
An unattractive girl was a dumdora, oil can, flat tire, or pickle; an unattractive man was a grummy ostrich, parlor hound, or porcupine.
Something really good was swell, and something really funny was a hoot.

- Teenage slang from the thirties - Cigarettes were called "coffin nails" which were purchased with "jack".
Something funny was a "hoot" or "scream"
"Cheese it" meant to run away
You had "the eagers" for someone if you were really interested.
If someone was talking nonsense, you said, "booshwash!," and if someone was just not paying attention, they were simply "fog-bound."

- Teenage slang from the fourties - Something good was smooth, snazzy, neat, rare, a killer-diller.
The really groovy cats added "-renny," or "-rooney," or "-o-rooney," to any word to make it swing.
A good-looking girl was an angel cake, butterfly, slick chick, fly chick, or filly.  A smooth guy was simply luscious, a bunny boy, Jackson, Pappy, Romeo, or swooney.  No girl wanted to date a drip, jerk, schmo, square, or geek.
Hep and hip were used interchangeably until the Forties when hip became the word of choice.

- Teenage slang from the fifties - Cool was the word used most to approve of something.
To cool it was to relax, take it easy.
Girls who liked something might say it was neat; something a little bit offbeat might by kooky. 
Teens who enjoyed a really funny joke might say it fractured them; something that was easy was no sweat.
Man, cat, and baby were terms of address for anyone, male or female.
If someone went crazy or out of control, he had wigged out or gone off the deep end.
To punk out was to be a coward.

Offline Baggie

On the subject of slang I read 'The Dictionary Of Playground Slang' this morning and almost pissed myself it was that funny. It contains all the phrases we said and songs we sang at school. (Two of the best songs I remember being "Hitler has only got one ball" and "My name is Diana Ross...")  It had American slang terms in it aswell, it was really good, but now I can't remember a damn thing it said and will have to buy it.
 English slang is just as bad. I'm from Yorkshire where we miss the t's off the end of words, say 'reyt' instead of right, make words such as 'there' and 'where' rhyme with 'ear,' and have words such as:-

'Ey up, alreyt?' - Hello, are you alright?
 'Chuddy' - Chewing gum
 'Innit' - Isn't it
 'Buzzin,' 'Wicked' and 'Safe' - Good
 'Snicket' or 'Gennel' - A short path
 'Brass' - Money
 'Nowt' - Nothing
 'Thee' - You
 'Aye' - Yes
 'Minger' - An ugly person

Here's a news article for you to decipher:

Friday October 8
12:18 PM -  Doctors get guide to Yorkshire slang
Help is at hand for foreign doctors working in Yorkshire whose patients complain of sore "lugholes" or say they're feeling "jiggered" and can't stop "gipping".

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1131759.html?menu=

Why only yesterday I was stood in a shop queue downtown, and mentioned taking pills for my flu. Two scrubbers turned around and asked if I was 'Jack and Jill crew' and would I sell them a 'Jill?'

But seriously, as I was saying about an hour ago, buy this book and it will make you laugh so hard aswell as taking you back to your school days, playing games such as 'bulldog,' 'tiggy,' 'kissy-catch,' or the 'lurgy' - I think the American people on here called the dreaded lurgy game 'cooties.' It's when all the clean children take the piss out the poor smelly child by shouting LURGY! at them, and by passing their germs onto someone else if the poor smelly bugger just happened to brush past you.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/002-7654241-7638454
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline wakkyjaky

Thanks for those slang links they were great. I noticed that some of the slang words we still use today. I got the real meaning of slang words we use or I have heard others use.

Offline Honey Bear

Thank you so much Senorita Rita for those links. They're the cat's meow!

Sometimes for a general overview of the different eras of the 20th Century, I go to this site:
Lisa's Nostalgia Cafe

The site doesn't have a lot on the slang of the various eras but there's a wealth of information nonetheless.
The future ain't what it used to be. -- Yogi Berra (1925 - )