Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Shorts

Offline archiezappa

You know, it's kind of funny when you think about this.  Way back when movie theaters started getting popular, you know back in the 30's and 40's, comedy was considered filler.  Looney Tunes and Three Stooges, were things you watched before the feature, but ultimately, you were there to see the feature.   But looking back on old movies and stuff, the Three Stooges and Looney Tunes shorts are head and shoulders above all of the movies of that era.   I know there are exceptions to that.  But it seems that this "filler material" is better remembered and revered nowadays much more that the popular features of that era.   Am I right, or am I way out in left field on this one?

Offline porcupinefan87

I completely agree. That's one of the things I've always found remarkable about the boys. That in their "glory days" at least, all they were given to showcase their talents was 18-20 minutes before a feature. And how, the FEATURE was the promoted piece, yet I have a feeling that the higher ups knew that they could put out low-quality pictures with good shorts before them, etc you know? I think that those in charge KNEW how popular and talented the boys were, yet the Stooges themselves weren't ness. aware.

The interesting thing again is that they made short films. Yet look how popular they became. I think that's pretty cool. One of my other idols, Marty Feldman once observed that "Comedians are the best actors!" and I think he meant it very much of this classic era. It's very true. The Stooges had more chops than those so called "serious" or "high art" performers of the day, that's for sure.
"Roses are red, and how do you do? Drink four of these and...woob woob woob woob!" - Curly, 'No Census, No Feeling'
------------
"Ehhh....money shrinks!!!" - Shemp, 'Don't Throw That Knife'
------------
"Even the comedians that make you laugh the hardest, have tragedies in their lives.  Laughter is all we have against the pain of life and death." - Larry Fine

Offline archiezappa

I agree.  Anyone can be a boring old leading man.  Those 1930's musicals are so boring!  But take a Three Stooges short and a Looney Tunes cartoon; screen them before one of those musicals and viola!  People will still come to the theater!  The executives were no dummies.  I really think they were just as they were portrayed in that Three Stooges biopic that came out a few years ago.  They didn't want the Stooges to know how popular they were, but they used the shorts to sell their "B" movies.