BEER AND PRETZELS - 1933
ROAST BEEF AND MOVIES - 1934
NERTSERY RHYMES - 1933
THE BIG IDEA - 1934
PLANE NUTS - 1933

http://video.aol.com/video/beer-and-pretzels-1933/1911624

See RELATED for the others.

Curley91

Yes, as I mentioned in another thread, I noticed this yesterday.  I think it's kinda neat. 

Sigh.  If only Columbia would do the same.   ::)

Offline archiezappa

Is it just me, or do those shorts look better than I've ever seen them.  Especially "Nertsery Rhymes" and "Roast Beef And Movies."  They actually look like they're technicolor.   That's better than the dvd I have where they're just broadcast in black and white.  Now, I have nothing against black and white.  My favorite movies are in black and white.  But these two shorts were filmed in technicolor and I'd like to have them on dvd like this.  I wonder if Warner Brothers will release a dvd with all 5 of these shorts restored.  They might, if these new Sony sets sell well.

Offline Robbie883

Just this evening I found these old episodes at a locally owned video store. They were all on a DVD I payed 4.99 for. I was pretty happy about the find.

Offline porcupinefan87

Oh yeah I was so happy to see some of those on there. I absolutely LOVE "Plane Nuts". Larry Fine...so kick ass and adorable in there. I swear he invented the modern day...t-shirt under a suit jacket thing. He's hilarious in that with his whole spastic dancing and "I'm from the south" etc. I like when you hear him mock Moe's "spread out" because he's sick of hearing it. He's a bit more tough and all in the early stuff but at the same time just goes back to being Larry at times.

Of course one has to endure Healy's "singing" but other than that I really liked "Plane Nuts". They're all pretty interesting to see. I wish like people were saying, they'd do better releases of their earlier work. It's cool to see and they are all so cute in them.
"Roses are red, and how do you do? Drink four of these and...woob woob woob woob!" - Curly, 'No Census, No Feeling'
------------
"Ehhh....money shrinks!!!" - Shemp, 'Don't Throw That Knife'
------------
"Even the comedians that make you laugh the hardest, have tragedies in their lives.  Laughter is all we have against the pain of life and death." - Larry Fine

Offline 2reelers

If anyone has Comcast Cable, their "On Demand" service is showing a couple of the MGM shorts in the TCM/Free Movies section. They'll only be available for a few days. I think they are showing Plane Nuts and The Big Idea.

Offline archiezappa

MGM just didn't know what to do with comedians.  They only knew musicals.  The Three Stooges shorts from MGM are evidence for this.  When the Marx Brothers went to MGM in 1935, Irving Thalberg had some good ideas.  This is evident in "A Night At The Opera" and "A Day At The Races."  However, the quality of their films dropped considerably after Thalberg died.  It's a good thing the Stooges didn't stay with MGM.  They would have been tossed aside.  MGM comedy?  It's an oxymoron.  Kinda like military intelligence.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Is it just me, or do those shorts look better than I've ever seen them.  Especially "Nertsery Rhymes" and "Roast Beef And Movies."  They actually look like they're technicolor.   That's better than the dvd I have where they're just broadcast in black and white.  Now, I have nothing against black and white.  My favorite movies are in black and white.  But these two shorts were filmed in technicolor and I'd like to have them on dvd like this.  I wonder if Warner Brothers will release a dvd with all 5 of these shorts restored.  They might, if these new Sony sets sell well. [pie]

Perhaps you're unaware of the DVD issue of Dancing Lady, starring Clark Gable and Joan Crawford?  The bonus features include the MGM shorts Roast Beef and Movies and Plane Nuts.  I rented the DVD this week and the prints look really good.  And yes, Roast Beef and Movies is in Technicolor.  That has to be one the most bizarre Stooges-related films ever produced, but it's worth owning just to have one of only three solo appearances from Curly Howard.

Buy Dancing Lady on DVD from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Dancing-Lady-Joan-Crawford/dp/B000F7CMPO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-0225692-7446027?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1190947069&sr=8-1
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)