Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Different Ways To Collect All 190 Shorts

Offline Robbie883

I recently got the urge to create a DVD collection of all 190 Three Stooges shorts, for my own pleasure, not to sell. Right now I am in the process of putting my VHS episodes on my computer, and I am ripping my other DVD's. But, even with all of that, I only have 92 of the 190. I was just curious if there is a way to get a hold of many of the shorts online, for example, downloading them off a website. Or is the only real way to do it is to tape them off the T.V, then put them onto the computer? Anybody that can help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Curley91

Actually, I would like to create a complete set as well!  I now have all 190 shorts.  I have received a lot from the Swap Meet board on this site.  Also, here in the midwest, there is a program called "Three Stooges Stooge-A-Palooza."  That is also a great way to collect shorts.  The rest, I have on DVDs and videos put out by Columbia. 

I have heard people talking about limewire.com.  Personally, I have never downloaded anything off there, and I'm not sure if all 190 shorts are available through there.  You can also watch shorts (maybe even burn them to dvd) through the Real Player on this site.  Other than that, I don't know of any sites where you can obtain shorts. 

I think you can get the best quality out of the shorts by putting them onto the computer, and then burning them to DVDs. 

Hope that helps!

Offline Robbie883

That's how I'm making my set. I have 20 Blank DVD's that hold 4 hours a piece, which is about 12 shorts. Also, I did try using a file sharing system and that did work. I downloaded a good 30 shorts from Bearshare awhile back, and they are all great quality too. Do you have any idea if Limewire would have different shorts than Bearshare?

By the way thanks for replying!

Curley91

I'm not real sure, because I'm not familiar with Bearshare.  They could though!

Offline 2reelers

I'm taking a few steps backwards with compiling my 190 shorts collection to dvd. I am seeking out the beat up, old scratchy Screen Gems tv prints. I have many from WFLD here in Chicago (some dating back to the late 70's). Many others are from WSBK in Boston and KTTV in Los Angeles.

My reasons you ask? I am working on comparing the edits and station versions with the uncut versions. I know WFLD cut out the scissors gag in SPOOKS and SLIPPERY SILKS, the saw running over Curly's head in DIZZY PILOTS and IN THE SWEET PIE AND PIE, and several others. Another reason is for the sake of nostalgia. Like many of you, these are how I first viewed the Stooges via old worn out tv prints that look like they were hit by a truck. It's fun to watch the films with all those glorious splices, jump cuts, and cuts to commercials right in the middle of dialog, not to mention drops in audio here and there. Plus, just like on Spike, there are 20 commercial breaks in a 16 minute short.

ThumpTheShoes

You should try to track down a Superstation WTBS copy of Pest Man Wins from, oh, around 1985. This film was not purposely edited, but was so damaged that every 8 or 9 seconds there was a film break/splice and that "Phpllth!" sound that goes with it ruining the whole thing. But they kept on using that same print for at least another year or two!

I still remember where those commercial breaks were, too. It's still a novelty for me to see those pictures without them. Hell, I'd love to see those old tapes from the 70's just for the goofy commercials and station Id's!

-ThumpTheShoes

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Yes, the old ads that you hated sound better 20-30 years later!

(Shemps#1, pay attention here) MLB.com is now selling old radio broadcasts of "memorible" games of your favorite baseball team. I ordered a bunch online, got a portion of the order, and they never billed me for it.

Can't guarantee that their order/billing system is still f'd-up. But even if you have to pay money, it is worth it.

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

xraffle

It's fun to watch the films with all those glorious splices, jump cuts, and cuts to commercials right in the middle of dialog, not to mention drops in audio here and there. Plus, just like on Spike, there are 20 commercial breaks in a 16 minute short.

You know something, I actually agree with you. I have several old, beat up and sloppily edited shorts that I recorded from Channel 11 when they used to be on TV during the 1980s. Even though the prints are horrible and the edits are very sloppy, they are fun to watch. Even though I like watching the shorts in good quality, it's fun to look back and see how I used to watch the stooges when I was young.

And I thought I was the only one who appreciated the old, beat up Screen Gems TV prints. I'm glad I'm not alone. So, you shall get a Karma for that.

Offline 2reelers

I have several old, beat up and sloppily edited shorts that I recorded from Channel 11 when they used to be on TV during the 1980s.

Well believe me, if you want to unload some of those, I have plenty to trade! Feel free to email me at TheColumbiaVault@comcast.net

Greg
www.theshortsdepartment.bravehost.com

Offline 2reelers

If anyone wants to check out some fun local Stooge material on youtube, search Stooges WFLD. Some of that stuff came from my collection, but I don't post it. The youtube account belongs to fuzzymemories. There are some great station logos and show openings/closings from the late 70's and early 80's out of Chicago. It'll mean more to you if you grew up with the Stooges on this station.

PS xraffle...thanks for the karma!

Curley91

Although I didn't grow up with these scratchy prints, I still find it neat to watch one from time to time.