Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Colorized Shorts On Spike TV Marathon.

Guest · 28 · 6409

Offline kinderscenen

On to greener chestnuts, years ago, my brother and I made audio recordings of a few Stooge films off of W-Something-Or-Other (WOLO?) out of Wilmington, North Carolina. This was, oh, about 1977-78 and before we had even dreamed of a VCR. One of those pictures was called The Ghost Talks

HA! I recall taping (as in cassette) that one as well, around 1981 or so. I also recorded Hoi Polloi, Cukoo on a Choo Choo, and the first Joe short I'd ever seen, Flying Saucer Daffy.  Amazing how we didn't think that it was silly to tape things off of TV (via cassette tape).  How else were we going to enjoy it later? Ah, the good ol' days!

I often wondered how they colorized the shorts as well. I mean, obviously, you could look at footage of Moe and Larry in color and get a general guess as to hair coloring, etc., but the clothes! Come on! Since it was black and white, there's a chance that there are some hideous colors that showed up well in b&w, but look like crap in color. Too bad there's no way we could find out the color of what they wore in a short.  It'd be interesting.
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

ThumpTheShoes

Too bad there's no way we could find out the color of what they wore in a short.  It'd be interesting.

Just imagine Moe wearing a purple suit...

Well, that's what the colourising people do!

-Th

Offline kinderscenen

I can't believe I just thought of this, but the folks who've "colorized" these shorts could learn something from the folks who colorized the Star Trek pilot, "The Cage."  Here you have a colorized film that was from the 1960's!  Somehow, it managed to look natural (somewhat, because I do recall seeing a special (?) where they compared the unmastered colorized footage to the mastered,) but still...it looked much better than these modern day efforts.

Hell, even looking back at Stooge history could've provided a better result--if they could reprocess "Scrapbook" in black and white for "Daze", then you mean to tell me that in the 21st century they couldn't do the reverse and not have it look like those first horrible examples of "colorization" that I remember from the 80s?
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!