Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

16MM Film Repair

Guest · 4 · 1246

Curley91

I have an old 16MM film (not Stooges) that accidentally got damaged.  I have been looking for film cement, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.  Is there a substitute for film cement that I could use to repair it?

Thanks in advance.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
My father used to splice together 16mm, 8mm, and super-8 films onto big reels. Camera stores sold a special tape that was sprocketed.

The splicer cut both film ends on an angle ("/"), and you lined up a piece of tape on the bottom, the film, and tape on the top. Over the sprocket holes. Press down again. And Voila! "Instant Film Splice"!

If you can't find one, you may be able to do it with clear packing tape (it is tough stuff!) and an exacto knife. From what I described...

I'm going to be having this same problem myself soon, as I transfer old films to DVD with my brother. My end is the films and added audio comment and music from that era. His problem is editting & mixing the audio & video, and burning the DVD's. I have no idea if Dad still has those splicers. But they can be found somewhere.

Easy for Hollywood. New to us! On the bleeding edge of 1900 and 2007 technologies...

James

PS. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I have an old 16MM film (not Stooges) that accidentally got damaged.  I have been looking for film cement, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.  Is there a substitute for film cement that I could use to repair it?

Thanks in advance.

I just did a quick Google search for "film cement" and immediately found Kodak Professional Film Cement for sale at B&H Photo Video in New York City.

Hope that helps!  Their online store is closed until tomorrow night for some reason, btw. 

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
I just did a quick Google search for "film cement" and immediately found Kodak Professional Film Cement for sale at B&H Photo Video in New York City.

Hope that helps!  Their online store is closed until tomorrow night for some reason, btw. 

Rob,

I tried to order a can for the aroma factor! It seems their secured server is either down or they may be migrating to a new HTTPS provider. With an end time, I choose the latter.

I haven't forgotten about you. Still have that link to look at. I worked 50 hours in a 32-hr week. 3 hours sleep last night. Drove 110-mph on I-96 to Lansing today. Found the Sunfire's "governor" finally! Tight! I am pleased. Now that I've got it mechanically sound, I need to do the cosmetics (door dings, paint, new convertable top, carpet, and seat foam. Maybe replace the factory radio with one that has the red station LED's that work. Basically just restore it. The high $ mechanicals are done, the rest can be done with Detoilet junkyards and friends.)

Later I admitted to a Livonia cop about that speeding. I'm getting some of his Wings season tickets that he can't use. He's been 150mph on the MSP training course in Lansing. I drove 140mph in an Opel Senator on the Autobahn and was being passed by Porches (easily at 180-200mph) in the rain... 1986.

I told him it would be worth the cost of 2 Wings Tix to try out the MSP course in either their car or mine! He thought it was a good idea to learn the "limits" of my car!

Cool!  :D

James

PS. To the "peanut gallery": No, I am not a "crack-head". It is "year end". Our busiest time. In another week or so, I'll be trying to "push the envelope" by browsing pron at work! Trying to stay awake in the slow season. It is already calming down. Just need to sweep up the dead bodies in a few days.
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!