The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

#6: The Monkees

shemps#1 · 69 · 26895

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
He's supposedly been on the Internet before the advent of a personal computer, yet he hasn't learned basic English. I'll not only show my ass but allow the pleasure of sucking it.

This is when it's easiest to ban someone, when they are a newbie with less than 10 posts (8 to be exact; 3 of them telling me to go fuck myself). So please if any new member wants to be banned then do what Capt. Sphincter did. If however you'd like to converse in a civil manner and follow the rules you are more than welcome to stay and contribute.

What Capt. Shitpipe fails to realize is that this site does "need" people to the point where assholes will be allowed to act like assholes. This site is well-run, thanks mostly to Rob and Team Stooge, but I'd like to think Doug and I have a little something to do with it to. It is because we have zero tolerance for attention whores that make these message boards the best in the Stooges Universe. Upstanding and cool fans know they can come here and if an asshole pops up said asshole will be removed in a rapid manner and not allowed to run rampant. What this site has and "needs" more of is great, knowledge or eager to learn Stooge fans who contribute in a positive way.

What happened between Fred and I was just that: between Fred and I. I didn't even think it was that big of deal. It was not a censorship issue or an "I disagree so I'm going to delete what he wrote" issue; it was a "this post is very verbose and a difficult read" issue. When you write something like that you have to know who your audience is, and while the post was very informative (although biased and ran off on many tangents) this is a Three Stooges message board and not a "History of the Monkees" message board. That was the only reason I deleted the post in the first place.

Someone whose opinion is valued on this site PMed me and suggested that although the post was a bit ostentatious it didn't warrant deletion, so it was from their suggestion that I restored the post. From what I've seen of him on this site (he's still new) I like Fred and have no problems with him. I then explained my actions to Fred and all was forgotten...or so I thought.

After all was said and done and over with other people started chiming in on whether or not Fred's post was verbose or whether or not I was right in deleting or restoring it. Doug was quick to point out that the whole thing was done and nothing happened and everyone should move on. I put the capper on it by directing a post to a certain few that was merely a warning for warnings, but I suppose could have been misconstrued for a threat of banishment. Then I get a newb with less than 10 posts running his cock hole and begging to banned.

I would certainly think that anyone can see that this banishment was not about censorship and Capt. Spermshake was no martyr. This was just some asshole who with penis envy who I guess wanted to prove how "big and bad" he is. There is no need to "tread lightly", but don't try to tell me how to moderate a board I've been moderating for longer than I care to remember and definitely don't tell someone who can ban you to "go fuck yourself" unless you really want to be banned. It's just common sense.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Captain Spalding really was a Schnorrer!  Well, SOMEBODY had to say it!

PS: I'm sure I spelled "Schnorrer" wrong, but let us not get into conversations about how to spell Jewish words.  The last time this happened with Matzo/Matzah, the SLIPP wars began.   ;D

As for PET SOUNDS, there have been weeks in my life where that's all I played.  While The Beach Boys didn't play the instruments, Brian Wilson certainly wrote the songs, arranged all the parts, and produced the thing.  Brian and the rest of the group, who were touring while Brian only worked in the studio, were off in different directions at the time anyway.  I believe Mike Love called the album, "commercial suicide."
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Boy, "Spaulding" has a real bug up his ass today, doesn't he?  He actually went so far as to dig out his original email notifications from when he joined to send replies since he couldn't post here.  Since they were all sent to the Webmaster address, naturally I got them.

First, in reply to the message advising him that he received a warning, his response was a predictable:

fuck you and your fucking official warning

That apparently wasn't enough for him, so he dug out his email verification notice to send in a more emphatic:

FUCK YOU DICKHEAD ASSHOLE PUSSY

Then he used the confirmation email to elegantly say:

fuck you again PUSSY BOY

And finally, to make sure that he had made his point clear, he replied to the confirmation once more with:

fuck you again and again

I'm no psychiatrist (thank God!), but I'm guessing he's a clinically depressed fecophiliac on Prozac?   >:D

Man, we sure do seem to attract the freaks some times, don't we?  ::)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Hmmm so he's fighting with the automated reply system? Wow, we sure missed out a genius there.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline JazzBill

• Knothead
I can't believe this all happened because of the Monkee's.  Now thats funny.  :laugh:
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline WhyIOughta

• Beetlebrain
Hey, I'm a Believer.  When Shemps told the Marx Brother "I-I-I-I'm not your Steppin' Stone," Captain Spaulding was sent on the Last Train To Clarksville.  Here's to another Pleasant Valley sunday.......   ::)

Offline OldFred

• Chucklehead
If I may indulge in one more bit of the Stooges/Monkees Connection, both teams have stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I attended the Monkees ceremony and was part of the Monkees Convention security team and minutes before the ceremony had my picture taken with the group. Since I knew Peter & Davy from years previous, Peter was nice enough to formally introduce me to Mike Nesmith and while we were chatting the photographer whom I knew mentioned that I was in the picture. I was about to move out when Peter grabbed me by the arm and said, "Fred, you get back in the picture!". So, that's why I've got that silly "I can't believe I'm in this picture!" look on my face, and I'll always thank Peter for being so kind and gracious. Any doubt why I'm a fan?  ;)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I have to say that Tork and Jones look like a lesbian couple that have been together for 30 years or more in that last picture.

Offline OldFred

• Chucklehead
I have to say that Tork and Jones look like a lesbian couple that have been together for 30 years or more in that last picture.

Oh, a wise guy, eh? Do we have to do this all over again?  >:(  ;)

'Long Title: Do I Have To Do This All Over Again?'
From the movie 'Head'

Offline OldFred

• Chucklehead
This is serious guys. Just learned Peter Tork has been diagnosed with cancer. More info can be found on the Monkeeland message board:

http://monkeeland.yuku.com/topic/7392/master/1/?page=1

It'd be appreciated if you'd keep Peter in your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks,

Fred

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Wow, that's a shame, I hope he pulls through.

Offline OldFred

• Chucklehead
Wow, that's a shame, I hope he pulls through.

Thanks shemps#1, I appreciate that.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Had a cancer scare with my Dad recently, but he's OK.

This is strange news because I had a conversation with my friend on Sunday who insisted Peter Tork died years ago due to a drug overdose.  I kept saying that wasn't true, and I was right.  That said, I wonder if he heard this news and somehow got it mixed up with something else? 

Anyway, I hope Peter's going to be OK.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline OldFred

• Chucklehead
Just got word from the Monkeeland website that Peter got through his surgery. Here's the message from his Facebook page:

"Peter Tork is out of surgery and things have gone well. He is most grateful for everyone's positive energy and love!"

I'm very relieved and will continue to keep Peter in my prayers for a speedy recovery. Thanks to everyone for their prayers and good thoughts.

Offline Tony Bensley

• Birdbrain
Bumping this long, long dormant thread that I just read last night!

I'll just briefly state that, I too, am in the pro Monkees camp (Sorry shemps#1!).  Of course, we sadly lost Peter Tork a couple of months ago (February 21, 2019) to complications of the cancer that he was first diagnosed with in early 2009, and Davy Jones left us several years prior, on Leap Day, back in 2012!  I actually got to shake Davy's hand once, after an awesome August 2004 concert in North Bay, Ontario.  He also signed my MONKEES MUSIC BOX 4 CD set, which I still proudly own!  Long live Micky Dolenz and Mike Nesmith!!

I also noticed that OldFred's most recent post on this forum was over 5 years ago on March 24, 2014!  Hopefully, he's still around and doing well!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Now that we live in the age of streaming, I've actually listened to the first Monkees album.  I'm not going to say I'm a huge fan, but as far as fabricated pop bands go, they're about the best out there.  They had The Wrecking Crew playing on their stuff, I believe, and ripping off The Beatles is ripping off class.  "Last Train to Clarkesville" is a catchy tune, even if it does massively rip off "Paperback Writer."

I enjoyed the TV show as a kid back in the 80's when it was on Nickelodeon - but I haven't watched an episode since.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline OldFred

• Chucklehead
Hi Folks,

I’m back, was trying like the Dickens to get back in. Then, I finally found my long underwear and got in through the trapdoor in the back!  [pie]

Anyway, nice to know that I was missed. I have a book out too about The Monkees called ‘A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You: The Monkees From A Fan’s Perspective’ which I hope you’ll check out. It can be found on Amazon as a kindle or print book and on Apple iBooks.

Looking forward to Stooging around again.

Until then, Look at the Grouse!

OldFred  [3stooges]

Offline Tony Bensley

• Birdbrain
Hi Folks,

I’m back, was trying like the Dickens to get back in. Then, I finally found my long underwear and got in through the trapdoor in the back!  [pie]

Anyway, nice to know that I was missed. I have a book out too about The Monkees called ‘A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You: The Monkees From A Fan’s Perspective’ which I hope you’ll check out. It can be found on Amazon as a kindle or print book and on Apple iBooks.

OldFred  [3stooges]
Happy to hear from you, Fred!  Thanks for posting!

CHEER'S! :)

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Hi Folks,

OldFred  [3stooges]

Nice to see you Old Fred.  A lot of old time posters have left but some are still here.  Hope you stick around and check out and comment on the Weekly Episode Discussions.
- Doug Sarnecky