The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

#6: The Monkees

shemps#1 · 69 · 26888

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Mousie Garner made it into one Monkees episode

MONKEE crossovers from the Columbia years are few, only Ned Glass (NUTTY BUT NICE, HOKUS POKUS, a few more) and Milton Frome (QUIZ WHIZZ, PIES AND GUYS) come to mind. But it would be hard to find a '60s TV series that either of those two prolific actors did not appear in.

Offline OldFred

• Chucklehead
In fact, I'm going to delete it...this is Music That Sucks, not "write a counter-induction if you disagree". Really Fred, ease up.

With all due respect, I don't think that's fair. I found the first post misleading because of what I perceived as a lot of false information in what was basically an opinion. We can disagree about our tastes in music, but a flat statement with no rebuttal is disingenuous. And to remove the post because it doesn't jibe with your view is in my opinion Orwellian because in essence it blocks discourse and debate. Look at all the responses that were posted when I pointed out the connections between the Stooges and the Monkees. That's healthy dialog. If my original post can be retrieved, may I humbly suggest a slightly re-edited version be posted on a new thread highlighting the Stooges/Monkees connection.

I don't want to start an argument or a flame, that was never my intention and I hope you know I'm sincere. But, as a Monkees fan who has worked with members of the group so I know their history (I've contributed on a couple of books on the band), I couldn't with all good conscience let the first message go unchallenged. Mind you, I was not challenging you as a moderator, just the post. You don't have to like them, but at least give those who do like them and respect their history an opportunity to discuss and debate them in an off-topic capacity.

The Stooge board is a fun place to post and debate topics on the Stooges as well as off-topic subjects like the Monkees. I hope we can continue to enjoy a fun and healthy discourse on topics that tickle our various fancies. (Of course, this doesn't mean you can tickle my fancy anytime you want!)  ;D

I remain your humble and obedient servant.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
With all due respect, I don't think that's fair. I found the first post misleading because of what I perceived as a lot of false information in what was basically an opinion. We can disagree about our tastes in music, but a flat statement with no rebuttal is disingenuous. And to remove the post because it doesn't jibe with your view is in my opinion Orwellian because in essence it blocks discourse and debate. Look at all the responses that were posted when I pointed out the connections between the Stooges and the Monkees. That's healthy dialog. If my original post can be retrieved, may I humbly suggest a slightly re-edited version be posted on a new thread highlighting the Stooges/Monkees connection.

I don't want to start an argument or a flame, that was never my intention and I hope you know I'm sincere. But, as a Monkees fan who has worked with members of the group so I know their history (I've contributed on a couple of books on the band), I couldn't with all good conscience let the first message go unchallenged. Mind you, I was not challenging you as a moderator, just the post. You don't have to like them, but at least give those who do like them and respect their history an opportunity to discuss and debate them in an off-topic capacity.

The Stooge board is a fun place to post and debate topics on the Stooges as well as off-topic subjects like the Monkees. I hope we can continue to enjoy a fun and healthy discourse on topics that tickle our various fancies. (Of course, this doesn't mean you can tickle my fancy anytime you want!)  ;D

I remain your humble and obedient servant.

Fred,

That is not a rebuttal but rather a novella about the history of the Monkees which is rather verbose and long-winded. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who had his eyes roll into the back of his a few times when he saw the mere length of your proclamation of "Monkee love".  I tried a couple of times to get through it but each time could barely get into it. It is much longer than the induction itself...if people want to actually learn the nuts and bolts history of the Monkees there are plenty of Monkees fan sites. That's why I orginally deleted it; it was just way...too...much.

However, you have a "guardian angel" on the site as it were, and they have convinced me to restore the Monkee Constitution that you wrote. Please try to keep in mind that MTS is written tongue-in-cheek and merely written for comedic purposes and is in no way intended to be 100% factual. Also, it's my opinion...I don't understand why people are getting so offended. If you said to me "the Beatles suck" I wouldn't care.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline OldFred

• Chucklehead
Fred,

That is not a rebuttal but rather a novella about the history of the Monkees which is rather verbose and long-winded. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who had his eyes roll into the back of his a few times when he saw the mere length of your proclamation of "Monkee love".  I tried a couple of times to get through it but each time could barely get into it. It is much longer than the induction itself...if people want to actually learn the nuts and bolts history of the Monkees there are plenty of Monkees fan sites. That's why I orginally deleted it; it was just way...too...much.

However, you have a "guardian angel" on the site as it were, and they have convinced me to restore the Monkee Constitution that you wrote. Please try to keep in mind that MTS is written tongue-in-cheek and merely written for comedic purposes and is in no way intended to be 100% factual. Also, it's my opinion...I don't understand why people are getting so offended. If you said to me "the Beatles suck" I wouldn't care.

Dear shemps1,

I'm sorry my original post may have been a bit long-winded. But as I stated, it's not so much that I'm a fan but I've had a working relationship with members of the Monkees and I'm well-versed in their actual history. When I read your post there was so much that I perceived as inaccuracies that it got my ire up and I had to respond and set the record straight. After all, truth is stranger than fiction.  ;)

I apologize if it was overlong, but I felt I needed to post a response. I'm sure if someone had posted a list of inaccuracies on the Stooges that there would not be enough bandwidth or server space to hold all the rebuttals on this board. We definitely would have heard it from those who had actually worked with the Stooges.

In conclusion, I hope we can continue to just have a fun and healthy discussion on this board on all topics we love and enjoy. And if we don't, I'll reach down your throat, pull out your tonsils and make you wear them as a bow tie!  [3stooges]

And to my 'Guardian Angel', I'd just like to say: Thanks Guardy Wuardy, you're a pal!  ;D

I remain your Humble and Obedient Servant.

P.S.: I think Motley Crue stink! (Oh, Oh! Here we go again!!!!)  [pie]

Offline WhyIOughta

• Beetlebrain
Shemps#1....I have to relay the info that I stopped reading your "Monkees" blast, the minute you listed Hendrix's song as "Purple Hayes."   [3stooges]   It's "Haze."   Jimi's song was about his "fog," not Isaac Hayes.......Not that Isaac was above WEARING garish purple outfits....... ;D

xraffle

Before anyone else gets offended by this MTS forum, I would like to bring up this point.

Taken right from the rules thread:

3. Feel free to express your opinion, but don't get offended if someone else's opinion differs. We here at Threestooges.net encourage the Freedom of Speech that is guaranteed to all Americans in the US Constitution, even if the US Government does not. Freedom of Speech is a two-way street, meaning that if you are free to speak your mind on a particular subject others are free to disagree with you and speak their minds as well. This can (and most likely will) lead to arguments. We have no problems with arguments as long as they do not get personal (i.e. name-calling). When you have opinionated people such as myself and others here on one message board there are bound to be arguments. If you do not want someone with a differing opinion responding to your post then you should leave your post off the board. I would hate to see that happen, as I would like to see a free and open exchange of ideas. But consider yourself warned: not everyone will agree with your idea.

Shemps#1 is expressing his opinion. You are free to express yours. So, I don't understand the issue here.

Offline WhyIOughta

• Beetlebrain
Exactly!  Someone posts something that may or may not be factually accurate, then someone else who has serious connections and expertise in regards to that subject matter corrects a few things in a rebuttal......Shouldn't be nuthin' wrong with that, and i'd suggest that removal of the rebuttal that was posted was making the rebuttal poster "a victim of soicumstance."  (If you want to delete anything, delete that reference to "Purple Hayes.")   >:D

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Shemps#1....I have to relay the info that I stopped reading your "Monkees" blast, the minute you listed Hendrix's song as "Purple Hayes."   [3stooges]   It's "Haze."   Jimi's song was about his "fog," not Isaac Hayes.......Not that Isaac was above WEARING garish purple outfits....... ;D

Well no shit LOL...I did that? It's been so long since I wrote this one, and of course spell check isn't going to catch it. Of course I know it's "Purple Haze", lol.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
It's been so long since I wrote this one...

When I was reading these posts this morning during breakfast, I was amused that it took over four years for someone to even react to your original post.  Oh well - better late than never!   ;D

xraffle

Exactly!  Someone posts something that may or may not be factually accurate, then someone else who has serious connections and expertise in regards to that subject matter corrects a few things in a rebuttal......Shouldn't be nuthin' wrong with that, and i'd suggest that removal of the rebuttal that was posted was making the rebuttal poster "a victim of soicumstance."  (If you want to delete anything, delete that reference to "Purple Hayes.")   >:D

I defy anyone to find 5 members who actually read that 5,000 word essay that Fred wrote. I took one look at that post and left the thread. If Fred wants to make a point on how the Monkees rule, he can easily do so in 100 words or less. And he wasn’t exactly posting a “rebuttal,” but more like a formal paper on the history of The Monkees.

Offline Desmond Of The Outer Sanctorum

• Puddinhead
I defy anyone to find 5 members who actually read that 5,000 word essay that Fred wrote.
I read it, but it wasn't easy.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
The majority of the time, people get offended by Jim's requests and get banned.  Unlike others, Old Fred actually responds with respect and dignity, and things seem to be settled nicely between he and Jim.  This time, other NON-MODERATOR posters argue about Fred's post.

Guys, enough. Who cares?  Fuck this, let's not have a flame war over something so trivial.  Either continue to discuss the Monkees, Zappa, PET SOUNDS, Emil Sitka....whatever, but quit bitching about Fred's post, pro or con.  Thank you.
- Doug Sarnecky

ThumpTheShoes

I read it when it was first posted. 'Course I don't have a life, anyway. We all know that!

The thing about Tork teaching Dolenz how to play drums was 100% cobblers, but otherwise it was mostly true.

xraffle

Guys, enough. Who cares?  Fuck this, let's not have a flame war over something so trivial.  Either continue to discuss the Monkees, Zappa, PET SOUNDS, Emil Sitka....whatever, but quit bitching about Fred's post, pro or con.  Thank you.

I didn’t start it. :P Just kidding. Sorry for getting into this war, but it just gets to me when people argue with the moderators. But, this just proves that being a moderator ain’t easy since people always argue with you no matter what decision you make. For some reason, I thought reminding people of rule #3 would help and people would stop whining.

So, anyways, how ‘bout them Monkees, eh? ;D

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
.....and for you Monkee fans and haters.....enjoy the link.  Read the reviews.  Great site for every band under the sun.

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/the_monkees
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline OldFred

• Chucklehead
I read it when it was first posted. 'Course I don't have a life, anyway. We all know that!

The thing about Tork teaching Dolenz how to play drums was 100% cobblers, but otherwise it was mostly true.

Actually, it's true. Both Tork and Dolenz have corroborated the story in many separate and group interviews as well as the Rhino Records produced documentary 'Hey Hey, We're The Monkees'. As I stated previously, Peter studied at a music conservatory and is a multi-talented musician able to play many instruments and all styles of music.

No Emil Sitka questions?  ;)

P.S. to metaldams: Thanks for that link.  :D

xraffle

Offline OldFred

• Chucklehead
What about Pet Sounds? Great album, BTW. [cool]

Fantastic album, I love it. Did I mention that the musicians who played on 'Pet Sounds' also played on the early Monkees' records, as well as Sinatra, Mamas & Papas, the Byrds, etc?

Oooooh, there's goes Fred again!  [pie]

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Exactly, Doug: I have already considered the whole matter squashed yet others feel like they need to kick up dust.

I do not take kindly to other people who aren't involved trying to inject venom into something that involves me and is poison-free, and I sure as hell don't take kindly to people trying to advise me on how to moderate (on my own board no less) that are not named "Dunrobin", "metaldams" or maybe one or two others.

End it: or I will.

xraffle

...and I sure as hell don't take kindly to people trying to advise me on how to moderate (on my own board no less) that are not named "Dunrobin", "metaldams" or maybe one or two others.

I'm not sure if this was a result of my quoting rule #3, but the reason I posted that was for people to understand that MTS is an opinion-based forum and people should understand that opinions are allowed. Therefore, they should not start a war over what Jim says. But since WhyIOughta replied to my post and said, "Exactly!...," it made me seem like the bad guy. That was never my intention. In fact, my intention was the exact opposite. So, my sincerest apologies for my misleading post and for bringing this whole mess into play.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Nothing that I said was directed at just one person. Now please drop it.

Capt Spalding

Well this pretty much settles it for me then.

First when I say YOU Shemps1 quote the WHOLE article, like a NOOB then post that you hate the monkees I just shrugged.

then I come back and read, because you HATTE the monkees and the thread, you were going to delete the whole thing, it made up my mind.

I,sir/boy whatever your intelligence quotient is, ran an online service before you even knew of a PC and I saw what happened with just a little power when people had some.

This is/could be a much better site, but not when I now have to tread lightly around here because some overrated armchair idiot sitting at home decides what he doesn't like goes.  WHY right here when someone looks over a shoulder at how you write.

Believe me, you need people here , more than they need this place. 

Ban me, delete me, do what you friggen want, but you showed your ass here pretty good.

Capt Spalding

I defy anyone to find 5 members who actually read that 5,000 word essay that Fred wrote. I took one look at that post and left the thread. If Fred wants to make a point on how the Monkees rule, he can easily do so in 100 words or less. And he wasn’t exactly posting a “rebuttal,” but more like a formal paper on the history of The Monkees.

I read it, I remarked how I liked it..

I don't like the idea I write something or someone else writes something and because it PISS'es off a moderator, because he doesn't aggree it will be erased.

Capt Spalding

Exactly, Doug: I have already considered the whole matter squashed yet others feel like they need to kick up dust.

I do not take kindly to other people who aren't involved trying to inject venom into something that involves me and is poison-free, and I sure as hell don't take kindly to people trying to advise me on how to moderate (on my own board no less) that are not named "Dunrobin", "metaldams" or maybe one or two others.

End it: or I will.

OH fuck this site now, and fuck you too buddy, your one of the biggest ass'es i've come across running a site.
 Do I even need to explain why?

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Anybody else?