Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Which Stooge Short Had the Most Footage Reused In Later Shorts?

Offline locoboymakesgood

I'm watching Beer-Barrell Polecats and got to thinking..

Which Stooge short has the most footage reused out of any. Off the top of my head, the one that I think of most is the one with "Pomeroy, 41144".

A perfect example is Beer-Barrell Polecats, where for no reason at all at the end of the short - they have to keep a lookout for Pomeroy.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Anyone know?
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Robbie883

I personally think the Saw scene from Beer Barrell Polcats is used at least three times, I'm not too sure. The scene I'm talking about is where they start using the saws in Curley's pants to get out of jail, and they end up usuing them as swords. Then of course, a classic Curley moment, Curley getting the saw run across his head by Moe, thus destroying the saw lol.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I personally think the Saw scene from Beer Barrell Polcats is used at least three times, I'm not too sure. The scene I'm talking about is where they start using the saws in Curley's pants to get out of jail, and they end up usuing them as swords. Then of course, a classic Curley moment, Curley getting the saw run across his head by Moe, thus destroying the saw lol.
Well that scene was in Beer Barrell Polecats, but it wasn't originally from there. It was from the one when they were going to be hanged, and those classy women wanted to marry them and get the insurance money when they died. "Your little scheme. It worked beautifully!"

But unfortunately, I don't remember the name of that one.. bah.. has it been that long since I've seen it?
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline JazzBill

re. It was from the one when they were going to be hanged, and those classy women wanted to marry them and get the insurance money when they died. "Your little scheme. It worked beautifully!"

But unfortunately, I don't remember the name of that one.. bah.. has it been that long since I've seen it?
I think that was in " In The Sweet Pie And Pie "
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Curley91

Which Stooge short has the most footage reused out of any?

My answer to this question is "Scheming Schemers."  It has stock footage from "Vagabond Loafers," "Half-Wit's Holiday" and "A Plumbing We Will Go."

Offline JazzBill

I've always found "Beer Barrel Polecats" to be very depressing. It is probably the short that showcases just how sick Curly really was. You can tell in the new footage filmed for "Beer Barrel Polecats", that Curly was really feeling rough. Then when they switch to footage from  "In The Sweet Pie And Pie", and "So Long Mr. Chumps" you see a healthy Curly at the top of his game. It didn't splice together well at all.

Offline JazzBill

Thats because it is one of the four Shempless Shemp shorts. But all in all, the plot seems to move along pretty well. It must have been tough on Moe to make these Shempless Shemp shorts. I think it's the best one.

Offline MR77100

It depends on what you mean by "most footage reused." If you mean total amount of OLD footage reused from ONE short, that vote would go to SO LONG MR. CHUMPS with the prison scenes reused in BEER BARREL POLECATS. If you are referring to a short that had footage reused numerous times, that vote would go to the pie-throwing footage from HALF-WITZ HOLIDAY, which was used in three separate shorts-PEST MAN WINS, SCHEMING SCHEMERS, and PIES AND GUYS. If you are referring to a short which used the most stock footage from the most episodes, the correct answer is of course, SCHEMING SCHEMERS, which utilized stock footage from A PLUMBING WE WILL GO, VAGABOND LOAFERS, and HALF WITZ HOLIDAY.

Offline mrmurray

"Husbands Beware," one of the last real Shemp shorts, has a huge amount of stock footage.  The entire second half, or perhaps two thirds, is an abridged version of "Brideless Groom," aside from the last shot where Shemp shoots Moe and Larry in the butt.  I recall reading the new footage for "Husbands Beware" was shot in just one day.   

Offline metaldams

A lot of the later stock footage shorts were shot in one day.  Some of the Bessers were as well.

If I had to guess which short had the most footage reused, I'd guess HOLD THAT LION because footage was used in both BOOTY AND THE BEAST and LOOSE LOOT.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
If I had to guess which short had the most footage reused, I'd guess HOLD THAT LION because footage was used in both BOOTY AND THE BEAST and LOOSE LOOT.

As well as TRICKY DICKS (1953). Between those three shorts, almost all footage from LION was recycled.

Offline metaldams

As well as TRICKY DICKS (1953). Between those three shorts, almost all footage from LION was recycled.

Oh yeah, that's right!  The filing cabinet scene, I believe.  It's been awhile, but Vol. 8 will remedy that.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

Ah yes.  "Tricky Dicks" is one of my all-time favorites. 

LARRY:  Poor Shemp, he's dead.

SHEMP:  (Hiccup!)

MOE:  Not dead, dead drunk!

Offline Lefty

Is there any part of "Hold That Lion" that is NOT reused in later shorts, other than where Moe says "Slipp" in HTL, but "that crook" in "Booty and the Beast"?

Offline archiezappa

The Stooges used their share of stock footage in many shorts.  That whole deja vu thing keeps you thinking "I know I've seen this before."  But they're not the only ones who have done this.  My wife's favorite show is Friends.  The long-running sitcom from NBC.  They have several episodes which were called "clip shows" that use much stock footage from earlier episodes.  I thought that was weird.  However, I wonder if they got the idea from watching later episodes of The Three Stooges.  I guess that, under the right circumstances, they could have used fake Rosses, Chandlers and Joeys.  Or even Fake Monicas, Rachels and Phoebes.

Dog Hambone

In Bruce Campbell movies, they use the term "Fake Shemps" for an actor that stands in for one of the credited actors. The source of that term is, of course, the 4 Shempless Shemp shorts.   

Offline stooge1029

The Stooges used their share of stock footage in many shorts.  That whole deja vu thing keeps you thinking "I know I've seen this before."  But they're not the only ones who have done this.  My wife's favorite show is Friends.  The long-running sitcom from NBC.  They have several episodes which were called "clip shows" that use much stock footage from earlier episodes.  I thought that was weird.  However, I wonder if they got the idea from watching later episodes of The Three Stooges.  I guess that, under the right circumstances, they could have used fake Rosses, Chandlers and Joeys.  Or even Fake Monicas, Rachels and Phoebes.

Well tons of tv shows do that. The Simpsons is one I can think of off hand, I think theyve had four or five clip shows in all. I dont think these tv shows got the idea to re use footage from the stooges but rather the writers needed one more episode to fill a season and decided to go the easy route.

Offline QuinceHead

I have a "reused footage" question...

And granted maybe nobody on here can here it, but here goes!

In the Stooges shorts with reused footage that have been released on DVD, does anyone know if Sony remastered the recycled footage for each and every time it was recycled, or did they just "drop in" the footage that had already been re-mastered?

For example -- the pie fight from Curly's last episode was reused in at least three other shorts, as far as I know.  Did Sony remaster that footage three separate times, or did they just take the remastered footage from the original episode and replace the recycled footage with the remastered original??

Cheers,
JohnH
aka QuinceHead

Offline Hammond Eggar

It's funny you should mention Friends.  At one time, the "flashback episode" seemed to be pretty common on television, with shows such as The Jeffersons, The Cosby Show, Family Ties and Golden Girls all producing one or more of them.  In most cases, these "flashbacks" were little more than clip shows.  In the case of Friends, most of the "flashbacks episodes" were original.  They were excuses to show the characters back in their high school/college days.  The producers especially loved to feature "Fat Monica," with Courteney Cox in a fat suit.  That said, the show did include some clip episodes, especially during the lead-up to Ross's London wedding in season four.  The only thing more common in television than a "flashback episode," is the obligatory "amnesia episode."  BTW, The Jeffersons had one, and it was Louise who suffered from it.

As for the Stooges, my guess as to the most re-used clip has to be from Half-Wits' Holiday.  I'm referring of course, to the scene in which Moe throws a pie in the air and it sticks to the ceiling, eventually hitting Symona Boniface in the face.  I've lost count as to how many times I've seen that clip. ::)
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline QuinceHead

As for the Stooges, my guess as to the most re-used clip has to be from Half-Wits' Holiday.  I'm referring of course, to the scene in which Moe throws a pie in the air and it sticks to the ceiling, eventually hitting Symona Boniface in the face.  I've lost count as to how many times I've seen that clip. ::)

I believe that clip last shows up in Pies and Guys -- filmed some seven years after the poor woman had died from pancreatic cancer!  [cry]

I'd like to think that her estate got payment/royalties for re-use of that footage -- or did things like that work differently for actors back then??  ???

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

NYUK1934

The 1950 Andy Clyde short "Marinated Mariner" virtually composed almost all of the footage from one of his earlier shorts "The Peppery Salt". ;)

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

Reading this thread, I am relieved to find that not everyone posting on this site has an encyclopedic knowledge of every single detail in every one of the Stooges' shorts. I think I've seen all of the shorts that have Curly or Shemp in them (I can't stand watching Joe Besser stink up their act, though I chose my alias from Moe's character in one of the shorts that have him), but I'm sure I know less than a lot of people here.   [pie]

Dog Hambone

I can't stand watching Joe Besser stink up their act

I used to think the same thing, but I got a real appreciation for Joe Besser after viewing all of his shorts in the recently released Vol. 8. He really is a funny guy, but in a different way than Curly or Shemp. Also, Curly & Shemp are very tough acts to follow, & the poor guy never really had a chance considering much of the material they gave him to work with - many rehashes of previous Curly & Shemp shorts.