Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Etymologist, Please

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Lee Dorsey’s hit single Ya Ya was inspired by a group of children chanting nursery rhymes - "Ya Ya" went to number seven in 1961. The lyrics used in the song seem to indicate that a “Ya Ya” refers to a woman/young girl that a man/young boy has amorous intentions for.

While on the other hand, Cake’s 1996 tune Race Car Ya Yas seems to suggest that a “Ya Ya” is a man/young boy who is obsessed with owning, maintaining and driving a “Muscle Car” with enough power to enter them into drag/competition racing.

Based on the wikipedia info about Lee Dorsey’s tune, the term “Ya Ya” was coined then to mean a woman of sensual interest … and in the 1996 Cake tune “Race Car Ya Yas” it became a person with passionate/obsessive interests in building a street-legal race car.

Is the term "Ya Ya" then to mean (generally) as something, someone, or some act to yearn for with a passion (The Lee Dorsey interpretation), or is it the person that is doing the yearning the "Ya Ya" (as the Cake interpretation infers)?

[attachment deleted by admin]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline garystooge

Giff-
this made me think of the Stones' live album, "Get Yer Ya-Yas Out". According to Wilkipedia, The title of that album was adapted from the song "Get Yer Yas Yas Out" by Blind Boy Fuller in which "yas yas" is a euphemism for "ass" (arse). The phrase used in Fuller's song was "get your yas yas out the door".

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
How disheartening ... At least I sited two examples that intended the term "Ya Ya" as something other than a body part - but wait!! - maybe then a "Race Car Ya Ya" is just an "ass" behind the wheel? (Hhmm ... the lyrics in the song might be interpreted to support this notion). AND, the 1961 Lee Dorsey tune could easily be twisted into -
Oh, well, I'm, UH!, sittin' here,la la
Waitin' for my ass (ya ya), ah-um, ah-um
A sittin' here la la, waitin' for my ass (ya ya), ah-um, ah-um
It may sound funny but I don't believe she's comin', ah-um, ah-um

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Giff...

I chickened  out and didn't use your line about an "opening" when I met my boss's OB/GYN wife after 15-16 months. I skipped their last year holiday party. A good thing. My fingers would be mistaken for shrimp and eaten in the Terry/Carrie frenzy!

How would I mistype? Make a living? (licing ?)

Not that we don't heap grief on him... daily!

And I found a "lurker" at work! Erdman, Ken... knows about our "shady past". He is watching us... now...

??? :police: >:D ;D

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Giff...

I chickened  out and didn't use your line about an "opening" when I met my boss's OB/GYN wife after 15-16 months. I skipped their last year holiday party. A good thing. My fingers would be mistaken for shrimp and eaten in the Terry/Carrie frenzy!

How would I mistype? Make a living? (licing ?)

Not that we don't heap grief on him... daily!

And I found a "lurker" at work! Erdman, Ken... knows about our "shady past". He is watching us... now...

??? :police: >:D ;D

James

That "Line" is actually a quote from one of George Carlin's Books .. perhaps "Brain Droppings" or "Napalm and Silly Putty".

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
That "Line" is actually a quote from one of George Carlin's Books .. perhaps "Brain Droppings" or "Napalm and Silly Putty".

I need to add that on my Amazon "Wish List"... after Milton Friedman, the economist.

Can you confirm which book? I'm a cheap SOB.

-jv

(the other, white, pink, James)
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!