Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Interesting ebay auction (Moe)

Offline falsealarms

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-THREE-STOOGES-MOE-HOWARD-AUTOGRAPH-LETTER-RARE_W0QQitemZ190057940284QQihZ009QQcategoryZ32988QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

An authentic signed letter from MOE HOWARD of The Three Stooges -- 1969!!!

This letter was written using a thin-tip, ballpoint pen.  The ink is a thinner, lighter black than the deep-black print of: From the desk of... and the Moe/lamp caricature.

The paper is a type of textured parchment.  It's off-white in color and measures 6" X 9."  (I darkened the scan of the letter a little bit so it would show up better here.) 

I had the pleasure of corresponding with Moe Howard of The Three Stooges 4 times in my Junior High years.  I'd write to his fan/publicity address -- and he would answer!  In some of Moe's letters he'd include a sheet of the pink-colored Three Stooges stamps.  Other letters came with signed, glossy Three Stooges mini-photos.. 

In June of 1973, at age 19, I had the what could only be described as a DREAM COME TRUE!  (-and looking back now it may be one of the greatest moments of my life.)  I got in touch with Moe, through the L.A. TV station showing the old film shorts, and then met him at his home!  He knew who I was -- from some of our letters -- but at his current age of 74, he looked at me, smiled, and said he thought I was "gonna be 10."

And what a day that was!   Along with two friends, we spent the entire afternoon with Moe -- taking him out with us in our car!  We had lunch together at a Deli and then took MOe to his barber, of 30 years, for a haircut!  We talked at length about our favorites of the Columbia film shorts.  We asked Moe so many questions about Larry, Curly and Shemp, Joe Besser and Joe DiRita too!  We asked him who were his favorite Directors, of the shorts, and his favorite memories.  I felt that he was impressed by the Stooge knowledge from us three -- such devout fans of his.  BEST MEMORY OF THAT GREAT AFTERNNON: We were singing in thecar as we traveled that day -- Three Stooges classics such as: "Bee-Aay-Bay, Bee-Eee-Bee, Bi-I-Bickie-I-, Bee-Ooh-Bow" !! and even doing our rendition of: "Rat-Tat-Toodley-Day-Day" -- my goodness !!  singing along with MOE HOWARD!!

If that's true, it would beat Bob Bernet's story, which I didn't think was possible.

Offline kinderscenen

I think any of the folks who were able to either get extended visits and/or taped interviews with Moe and Larry in the later years (late 60s, early 70s) were extremely lucky.  Just to hear about seemingly "normal" activities just floors me.  I mean, here we have a 74 year old man trusting two teens to take him about his normal routines--instead of taking advantage of him--is just...wow.  I've experienced that myself on a much smaller scale, and it never ceases to amaze me how trusting some people can be.

Can you imagine something like that happening now?
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline Robbie883

In a DVD I bought last Christmas, "Stooges Men Behind the Mayhem", there is a section of the DVD that will load up, if you put it into your PC that will show all of the home movies from this occasion. It's actually really neat to see how Moe really loved his fans, and would do somthing like inviting them to his house for a visit. Those are two lucky boys, getting the chance to experience that.