• Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
(It ain't me that's doing it - it's the fucking shysters again!)   >:(

Quote from: ArsTechnica
And so it begins: YouTube nukes 30,000 videos
10/20/2006 8:28:44 AM, by Ken Fisher

Long before Google swooped in to buy up YouTube there were questions about the video sharing site's future. In particular, concerns relating to copyright infringement have persisted: can YouTube be sued, will they be sued? Will a sanitized YouTube be interesting? The recent acquisition by Google all but ensures that the site will remain under the infringe-o-scope of copyright holders for the near future.

In the first major mass removal of content in its history, YouTube has removed nearly 30,000 videos after being contacted by a number of Japanese rights-holders, according to the Japan Society for Rights of Authors, Composers and Publishers (JASRAC). The group says that its members found 29,549 videos on YouTube that contain unauthorized materials taken from Japanese sources, including movies, music videos, and television.  Japanese broadcast giant NHK was among those seeking the removal of materials.

A spokesperson JASRAC said that they were also considering petitioning YouTube for a better screening process. Although YouTube is legally obligated to remove infringing material when notified, some copyright holders have expressed irritation at the notion that they need to police YouTube themselves.

The spokesperson also suggested that the number of videos to be removed is meant to send a message that this is not a minor problem. Although the DMCA provides safe harbor protections for YouTube inside the United States, rights holders are still concerned that the posting of unauthorized material could hurt their businesses even when they are vigilant and police a site like YouTube.

SOURCE:  http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061020-8038.html

Frankly, I think the jerkoffs bitching about their stuff being on Youtube.com are complete idiots.  No one is selling their stuff, and no one can download their stuff, so what's the big fucking deal?  All it does is give their products exposure, and what's wrong with free publicity?

Shakespeare was right...   ::)

xraffle

Frankly, I think the jerkoffs bitching about their stuff being on Youtube.com are complete idiots.  No one is selling their stuff, and no one can download their stuff, so what's the big fucking deal?  All it does is give their products exposure, and what's wrong with free publicity?

Shakespeare was right...   ::)

I couldn't agree more with you. And the quality of the videos aren't exactly top-notch either. It's rediculous.

Offline JazzBill

I noticed that Jib-Jab post I made a while back only stayed up for a couple of days before it was yanked.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I can tell you all of those videos of Stooge shorts that False Alarms posted have been yanked off of You Tube, along with the Tex Avery cartoon I posted awhile back as well as one of the Jasper "puppettoons" I posted.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I noticed that Jib-Jab post I made a while back only stayed up for a couple of days before it was yanked.

I can sort of understand the Jib-Jab one.  Those guys make their money through advertising by drawing people to their web site, so they loose out if people can bypass their site and watch their videos via Youtube.

I can tell you all of those videos of Stooge shorts that False Alarms posted have been yanked off of You Tube, along with the Tex Avery cartoon I posted awhile back as well as one of the Jasper "puppettoons" I posted.

Those are the ones I am particularly pissed over.  As I said earlier, no one is making money by offering these videos, you can't just download them, and (as xraffle pointed out) the video quality isn't good enough to discourage anyone from buying those videos.  If anything, these Youtube videos can only encourage people to buy them, assuming Sony ever gets their collective heads out of their asses and release them as they should.  (I've never seen people more incompetent at marketing a valuable product.)   ::)

If any of you Sony/Columbia crowd are paying any attention, the formula to making the big bucks is stupidly simple:

• Chronologically ordered sets!  We want to watch them in the order they were released.  That shouldn't be hard to understand.
  • The episodes are only 16-20 min. long, and there were only 7 to 10 shorts per year, so issue a full year's worth on a DVD.  Don't be stingy.
  • Use decent quality prints!
  • Add "Play All" to the menu!  is that really asking so much? 

Some decent bonus materials would be nice, but even if all you guys did was the above, and you price them realistically (say $12 or $15 per DVD, with a reasonably discounted full set of all 190 shorts available), you are going to make money.  That's been proven by all the people that were selling full sets of mixed quality on eBay.  When I saw them, they were going like hotcakes and I would have thought that would give Sony a clue.  Time will tell if they were paying attention, but from the way they keep driving fans away it doesn't seem that they were.   :-\

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I posted a comment on the YouTube Videos board siting that YouTube was an "anal retentive" site, and remarked that it was in the true "Freudian" sense of the phrase.
In order to keep my ThreeStooges.net public well informed, I will endeavor to edify and enlighten  the general Stooge public as to my assertions about YouTube ...

The term anal retentive is generally and often used in reference to a person (or entity) seen as overly worried about small details of form, style and etiquette; who is uptight or distressed over ordinarily minor problems, and unable to adopt a philosophical attitude toward mistakes. In this regard, YouTube meets ALL these critia, but THEN there interposes the original Freudian meaning ...

Sigmund Freud proposed that a child's development moves through several stages of psychosexual development. In early years there is a pre-occupation with the mouth known as the oral stage.
The child then typically moves on to the anal stage which is characterised by the child deriving pleasure from bowel movements. The child discovers the pleasure which comes from the exercise of power (in this instance the power to hold on or let go.) The retentive character takes pleasure in holding in the feces.
Freud believed that conflicts with parents and delays during toilet training can cause a child's development to stop at the anal stage, the personality then becoming fixated on anal control, which later manifests itself as a compulsive concern with order and cleanliness. A developmental delay at this stage is therefore called anal-retention. (A.K.A. ... YouTube)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline JazzBill

Don't feel like your being picked on Giff. A lot of stuff has already been pulled. The "Jib-Jab" stuff and a lot of the Three Stooges stuff and even a Johnny Winter clip I posted is off now. It seems like a lot of the professional stuff is being yanked, I guess  because they are afraid of being sued.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Don't feel like your being picked on Giff. A lot of stuff has already been pulled. The "Jib-Jab" stuff and a lot of the Three Stooges stuff and even a Johnny Winter clip I posted is off now. It seems like a lot of the professional stuff is being yanked, I guess  because they are afraid of being sued.

I don't ... I was just pissed that they waited so long to pull the video. On the other hand (note the time stamp of this post) I was surfing YouTube and came across a video titled "Me In Class", one of the "most recent" ones, suposedly posted about 15 minutes ago when I viewed it. The video featured a randomly wavering phone cam that passed by the nearby computer monitor now and then showing the "student" viewing a sexually explicit site, although the video was very poor and nothing could be seen in any detail. (just a fuzzy boob profile) I decided to post a comment, but when I returned to view my post the video was already pulled!! (YouTube must have 24/7 monitors viewing recent entries).

I don't know how we can view "The Late Show with Dave Letterman" segments and other TV items (the most recent is the "Jack Benny's HOT AND SWEET" post) when YouTube expressly nix's those, but hey ... try and go figger out YouTube.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
YouTube videos cannot be copied, they are not being sold, I, as well as others i'm sure, just go there to check out videos of cool and interesting things. Why nitpick about it? Many films cannot be found elsewhere or have not been seen in years. If the supposed copyright owners would clean up their stuff and release it to DVD most of us would purchase it. But we know where that would lead. Films will eventually cease to exist and we need to protest this non-appearance of many of these fantastic videos that need to be put out in remastered condition before its too late.

Signed, IFleecem
President AAM
Local 6 & 7/8's :P 

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Not so IFleecem:

See: http://www.zamzar.com/url/

I've been converting YouTube videos from .flv to .mpg for over a week now with this cool tool!

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Capt.KSB

Dear Dun Robbin,

I agree with you 100%!

(Without the use of Angry

Four Letter explenitives) that

fools like Via Com and other

major tv and movie corp.s

are trying to police websites

like You Tube to the point

where.

They're not giving the public

the chance to see their favorite

old tv shows and movies for free.

Not everyone can afford to pay

to see old and even new movies

and tv shows on the web.

For those of us who want to

see these shows and to appreciate

the efforts of new up and coming

talents.

We deserve the chance to see

these shows without having to pay

an arm and a leg to watch them

Either for free or at least at

a reasonable price to pay to watch

these shows on the web.

Hopefully?

This can be rectified or websites

like You Tube will go down the drain.

(I'm not going to use the other line..

I don't want to be vulgar and there

is enough obscenities on tv and in

the movies already!)

Capt.KSB.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid

Hopefully?

This can be rectified or websites

like You Tube will go down the drain.

(I'm not going to use the other line..

I don't want to be vulgar and there

is enough obscenities on tv and in

the movies already!)

Capt.KSB.

I thought you meant the OTHER-other line ... This can be rectified or websites

like You Tube will go down the tubes
... nyuk-nyuk-nyuk [bonk!] Oohh!!

Offline Hammond Eggar

If any of you Sony/Columbia crowd are paying any attention, the formula to making the big bucks is stupidly simple:

• Chronologically ordered sets!  We want to watch them in the order they were released.  That shouldn't be hard to understand.
  • The episodes are only 16-20 min. long, and there were only 7 to 10 shorts per year, so issue a full year's worth on a DVD.  Don't be stingy.
  • Use decent quality prints!
  • Add "Play All" to the menu!  is that really asking so much? 

Some decent bonus materials would be nice, but even if all you guys did was the above, and you price them realistically (say $12 or $15 per DVD, with a reasonably discounted full set of all 190 shorts available), you are going to make money.  That's been proven by all the people that were selling full sets of mixed quality on eBay.  When I saw them, they were going like hotcakes and I would have thought that would give Sony a clue.  Time will tell if they were paying attention, but from the way they keep driving fans away it doesn't seem that they were.   :-\

From your mouth to their ears.  I know you posted that sometime back, but I was just rereading some comments and was surprised how much the new Sony Stooges collection sounds like what you were describing.  I think your comments had an effect, Dunrobin.  I think most of us here, at one time-or-another, have voiced similar comments, as well.  I'm glad to see that Sony finally wised-up.  Now, if we could just get them to improve the quality of the All in the Family DVD sets, then all will be right with the world. [pie]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Just shows ya whats out there that the movie studios are holding back. By the time they release it we will look like the Stooges at the end of Beer Barrell Polecats!

"C'mon Pal, I know where theres a couple of beautiful blondes"

Offline DJEvelEd

I'm sure they have alot of anal-retention in Japan as well as chronic cases of penis-envy.

Remember Pearl Harbor? A total bitch move typical of someone who's "yellow" The only good thing that came out of that country was egg rolls, horizontal poon, and cute names like Sum Dum Fuk, One Yung Wang, Who Flung Poo.

I bet they feel Moe's haircut is part of their national heritage.

ThumpTheShoes

I'm sure they have alot of anal-retention in Japan as well as chronic cases of penis-envy.

Remember Pearl Harbor? A total bitch move typical of someone who's "yellow" The only good thing that came out of that country was egg rolls, horizontal poon, and cute names like Sum Dum Fuk, One Yung Wang, Who Flung Poo.

I bet they feel Moe's haircut is part of their national heritage.

A highly articulate outburst, Vyvian! [for Young Ones fans] And worthy of a Karma! Gave me the "Chuckle O' the Day"!

Offline WhyIOughta

Just shows ya whats out there that the movie studios are holding back. By the time they release it we will look like the Stooges at the end of Beer Barrell Polecats!

"C'mon Pal, I know where theres a couple of beautiful blondes"

OMG, I laughed out loud, when I read this....We need some way to give posters credit/"props" for a great one-liner or a 'zinger.'

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
OMG, I laughed out loud, when I read this....We need some way to give posters credit/"props" for a great one-liner or a 'zinger.'

We used to have a "Karma" feature available but it was getting abused and I finally decided to eliminate it.