Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Early TV Cigarette Ads ( I can't believe how naive we were )

Guest · 5 · 1381

Offline JazzBill

[youtube=425,350]_6_3gjjA8IA[/youtube]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
What a pile of corn ... and whad-da-flock is "cigarette hangover"?
Radio knew how to make cigarette commercials ...

[attachment deleted by admin]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline 3Stooges

People are still naive. This reminds me so much of the current push to sell prescription drugs. In the future, people will be saying the same thing about these horrible, unnesessary, drugs that are a complete rip off. There are a lot of natural ways to cure most these ailments though vitimans and healthy living, etc...Without side effects! It's just you cant patent them. The way these drug companies and the government make millions off the backs of sick people is really disgusting. Everyday you see an adverisement for some new condition that needs their drugs.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
People were not naive back then. Hell, the Three Stooges joked about how bad smoking cigarettes can be in one of their shorts. I believe the brand that was sponsoring a jingle contest was called "Coffin Nail" or something of that nature (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong); that right there should tell you that people knew smoking cigs is not exactly healthy. The simple fact of the matter is smokers back then knew about the possible dangers of smoking and either A: did not care or B: ignored them.

An interesting little piece of trivia: the midget who yells "call for Philip Morris" is a distant relative of Howard Stern Show producer Gary "Baba Booey" Dell'Abate.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Maybe radio WAS trying to make American audiences naive after all ... I was listening to an Abbott & Costello radio program today, and heard this commercial. (the part about the doctors and hospitals is the part I'm referring to as trying to "naivetize" Americans) I doubt that it worked, but I'm sure the Camel company figured that any angle to get people to buy thier cigarettes was worth a try.

[attachment deleted by admin]
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.