Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Big-screen movie update

Offline garystooge

Here's the latest in the ongoing saga of the Stooges big-screen movie project:
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=16947

Offline falsealarms

I doubt the movie will be memorable, but I'd probably go see it if it ever gets done.

PS - Interesting that Curly was a co-founder of C3 in 1959. Hard to be a co-founder when you're dead, isn't it?  ;D

Offline Bangsmith

• Citizen of Greater Stoogedom
  • Chucklehead
I'd dismiss that as an accident if it wasn't for the fact that "Curly" was mentioned as a "creator" of the Stooge characters. It was Joe DeRita whom they should have said, obviously, and he had nothing to do with creating the Stooge characters. In fact, he was the only one who tried to imitate a previously existing one!! The folks at "comingsoon" ought to get to know the product!!!
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do "suck seed"!!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Looks like the WB smartened up and realized this movie has bomb written all over it.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Curley91

bringing Larry, Moe and Curly to the bigscreen will be no laughing matter

I agree with this 100%.

Even if the movie would get good reviews, no one could ever take the place of the original Moe, Larry & Curly.

xraffle

What's funny is that when I first heard about this movie, they said it will be out by the summer of 2004. It is now 2006 and no movie.

Offline falsealarms

Actually, not 2004.

"When this project was announced, it was expected to be released in the summer of 2003, which would have allowed plenty of marketing that took advantage of the "3" thing." - http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/preview/1808406250

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I'd dismiss that as an accident if it wasn't for the fact that "Curly" was mentioned as a "creator" of the Stooge characters. The folks at "comingsoon" ought to get to know the product!!!

"comingsoon.net" isn't a news service. Just an "fyi"-type website, that posted an abridged version of that misleading news item, which appeared in Oct. 12's Daily Variety.

Pamela McClintock was the Variety writer, and her source was a press release given to Variety by the film's current producing parties, First Look Pictures and C3 Entertainment.

C3 posted the Variety news item on their very own website, verbatim with the erroneous "Curly Howard" reference (@ today 10/13).

C3's management, aka the Benjamin brothers (the DeRita family heirs), know that Jerome "Curly" Howard was not a C3 founding partner. The history of C3 is well-known to the DeRita heirs, and they've used that history often in their past 13-year-long love affair with Stooge-related litigations.

Two possibilities come to mind, in ref. to C3's press release...

- Someone at C3 made a royal screw-up, ref. Comedy III's founding information... damage control cleanup is pending.

- Or, the DeRita family has long asserted that they own the "Curly" name, likeness and trademark, and this hints at some forthcoming litigious angle(s) on that claim.

Looks like the WB smartened up and realized this movie has bomb written all over it.

WB smartened up about three years ago; they dropped their option sometime in 2003.

The 2004 New Yorker Magazine promo piece on the movie was part of a public relations campaign to reignite interest in the movie project, and find another producing partner. After the New Yorker article hit the stands and promoted Russell Crowe and Benicio Del Toro as possible stooges, both actors were quick to say that they passed on the project.

What's funny is that when I first heard about this movie, they said it will be out by the summer of 2004.

The project was first announced by C3 & WB in Spring 2001, for a 2002 release.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Howard Stern, being a huge Stooges fan, talked about this movie project for five minutes today, saying what most of us have been saying about it being a horrible idea, no one can take the place of the Howards and Fine, and to paraphrase "this movie is going to be the biggest piece of shit".
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I am not a Howard Stern fan, but when he's right, he's right.  I think most of Hollywood probably came to the same conclusion, which would explain why those no-talent asswipes (the Farrelly brothers) haven't been able to even get this stupid project off the ground.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I am not a Howard Stern fan, but when he's right, he's right.  I think most of Hollywood probably came to the same conclusion, which would explain why those no-talent asswipes (the Farrelly brothers) haven't been able to even get this stupid project off the ground.

The Farrellys are no longer with the project. Their option lapsed, all production rights reverted back to C3, and then C3 partnered with First Look Pictures. However, last month's press release did say that C3 remains interested in using the Farrellys' script.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Thanks, Brent; I must have missed the info that the Farrellys were out of it now.  The idea that C3 would still be interested in the Farrelly brothers' script doesn't say much for C3, though.    :P

Curley91

Howard Stern was right.  I just can't understand why C3 would want to continue with a movie that's sure to become a bomb.   ???