The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Progress Reports on ThreeStooges.net Version 10.0

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Note:  the "Version 10.0" in the thread title is just a guess; I've lost track of how many versions I've done over the years.  ;)

I am in the process of completely re-writing from scratch all of the code that powers this site, primarily to make it load faster and smoother, and also to hone my coding skills.  I am taking my darn sweet time, and I am not going to make any promises as to when it will be launched - although my goal is to have it done by the end of the year.

I've decided to take some screenshots as I go along, so everyone can see what progress I am making and how the site is shaping up.  Things will undoubtedly change frequently  (I've already made some more changes since I took these screen shots last night.)

Image 1:  A screenshot of the home page, showing the overall layout,
Image 2:  A closeup of the slideout menu.
Image 3:  A closeup of the filmography page.

The new "episode page" will use dynamic javascript tabs to organize the episode's information (which will keep the page shorter.)  Images 4 through 6 are closeups of the new episode page, showing some of the new tabs:

Image 4:  The main tab
Image 5:  The new Ratings tab
Image 6:  The Cast and Crew tab

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I just thought I'd give everyone another update on the site re-write.  I've been making progress, but sometimes it is "sideways,' as I tweak pages to make them as fast and easy to read.   I'm happy to report that it looks the same in Firefox, IE 7.0, and Opera 9.   ;D

• I have been working on the cast pages this weekend (when I wasn't out hunting for a "new" car), and the first image shows the new layout for the individual actor's pages.  (I couldn't resist using Christine McIntyre's page as my sample.)   :laugh:

• The first image also shows some of the tweaks to the overall appearance.  The site will no longer be in frames, for openers, and will just load a new random image in the corner, along with a new random quote, each time a page is loaded, instead of loading all the quotes and images and rotate through them in the top frame.  (Really improves the load time!)

• I've also put the episode jump back into the header, and as you can see in the second picture, it is in alphabetical order and color-coded by Stooge teams.

• The third image shows the revised episode page, with more tabs.  Pretty much everything that we have about an episode will be available on the tabs, including the episode's transcript (as you can see in the last picture.

I am working hard on making every as perfect and clean as possible, which is why I won't commit myself to a launch date.  I have managed to make more progress than I originally expected, so I'm guessing that Christmas or New Year's is a reasonable guesstimate though.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I noticed the Halloween logo on the front page with Shemp added in, and I think Shemp should stay up there after Halloween (not the Shemp-Bat, of course). It kind of gives the logo a Mt. Rushmore feel.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I noticed the Halloween logo on the front page with Shemp added in, and I think Shemp should stay up there after Halloween (not the Shemp-Bat, of course). It kind of gives the logo a Mt. Rushmore feel.

I had my brother (Piper) design an updated version on the old logo, and he is creating various Holiday-themed ones such as the Halloween one.  If I can get him to do them all, we'll have one for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, and Fourth of July, at least.  (I'd also like him to make separate ones for each Stooge's birthday.)

I'm attaching a copy of the new logo without the holiday theme.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
No April Fool's Day?

You can also get the lines from the one short with Moe, Larry, & Shemp:  (paraphrasing)

"I'm Harraday.

I'm Tarraday.

I'm Christmas Day!" (etc.)

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline JazzBill

I agree with you on this one. I think Shemp has lived in Curly's shadow way too long, and it's not really fair. Shemp put out some very good material and he deserves to be recognized for it.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Robbie883

Rob, if you need another helping hand with creating graphics for the site, I have a lot of experience with Photoshop, just send me a PM if your interested. I'd love to start getting more involved with the site if you'd let me, I've been around for awhile, so I hope you consider it!

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
I've done a little testing on it and the new site looks pretty good. Waiting for Rob's reply to my last feedback of about a month ago(?) He must be busy lately.

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Rob, if you need another helping hand with creating graphics for the site, I have a lot of experience with Photoshop, just send me a PM if your interested. I'd love to start getting more involved with the site if you'd let me, I've been around for awhile, so I hope you consider it!

Those images you have in your signature block are sweet, Robbie!  I'd like to use them on the new filmography pages.  Can you make some matching ones for Besser, DeRita, and Ted Healy?

I'm not really a graphics person, myself, so I could definitely use some help, and also suggestions.  Feel free to try your hand at making a completely new logo for the site, too, if you would like the challenge.  (My brother is an even bigger procrastinator than I am, and that's saying something.)  I'd love to be able to have a whole bunch of alternate logos for different occasions, like Google does.   ;D

I have been extremely busy the last few months, and have fallen far behind my personal schedule on finishing the new version of the site.  (Fortunately, the current version seems to work fine, so I'm not really rushing anyway.)  Please email me directly with any images or questions, as I'm more likely to notice them faster.   ;)

Offline JazzBill

Those are the images they use to sign-in at "ThreeStooges.Com". 
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Robbie883

Yes, I didn't make these Rob, but it wouldn't be hard to make somthing like it. I thought these were neat so I snaged them from "ThreeStooges.com". I'll see what I can do to make somthing similar.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
LOL!  Well, that tells you guys how much I go to the .com site!   ;D