Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

What horror movies are you guys watching this fall?

Offline metaldams

This board is dead as a friggin' doornail!  I know there's a homely new moderator around here, but that doesn't mean you guys should run away!  My cat regurgitates his Iams every time he sees me and the older nuns all shriek in terror, but in the safe world of online posting, you cannot see my accursed ugliness, so no excuses for not responding!

Anywho, fall is upon us, and it is my favorite season of the year.  Why, you ask?  Because sometimes The Red Sox are in the playoffs, but when they are the Dead Sox, like this year, I get to indulge in my other fall passion even more....horror movies!  Genuine classics, genuine crap, genuine campfests, I watch them all.  Obviously I love comedy posting at this joint, but horror is my other favorite film genre.  What horror films have you guys already watched or plan on watching this fall season? I'll let somebody else go first.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Well, I was thinking about watching Bush's latest speech, but that was just too scary to watch!   >:D

I have several that I like to watch around Halloween, such as the three Karloff "Frankenstein" movies and the other 1930's Univeral horror classics.  Another film I always watch is "The Haunting" from 1963, based on a short story by Shirley Jackson.  (I want that house!)

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Well ... I recently posted a clip at the YouTube board from the movie I enjoy watching on a regular basis, that being Little Shop of Horrors, the one from 1960 that is, where Seymour grows a hybrid plant that lives on human flesh. I'll run that one, plus The Thing, starring Kurt Russell, where scientists in the Antarctic are confronted by a shape-shifting alien that assumes the appearance of the people that it kills.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Well ... I recently posted a clip at the YouTube board from the movie I enjoy watching on a regular basis, that being Little Shop of Horrors, the one from 1960 that is, where Seymour grows a hybrid plant that lives on human flesh. I'll run that one, plus The Thing, starring Kurt Russell, where scientists in the Antarctic are confronted by a shape-shifting alien that assumes the appearance of the people that it kills.

The original Little Shop of Horrors is fun, as is Plan 9 From Outer Space (I noticed JazzBill posted a trailer for that one earlier.) I also liked the Kurt Russell version of The Thing, but I've always had a fondness for Howard Hawks' 1951 version, The Thing from Another World (with James Arness as the mad carrot.)   ;D

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I'm not much into the horror genre, other than crossovers with comedy (e.g., A&C's "MEET" series, Shemp in THE INVISIBLE WOMAN, THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. RX, etc.). I also grew up watching DARK SHADOWS, so I have a nostalgic love for that TV series.

But I do have two DVD sets on order from Amazon that will take up some Halloween viewing time this year...

"Hollywood's Legends of Horror," 3-discs of MGM pics from Warner Home Video (10/10):
DOCTOR X (1932)
MASK OF FU MANCHU (1932)
MARK OF THE VAMPIRE (1935)
MAD LOVE (1935), costarring Ted Healy
THE DEVIL DOLL (1936)
RETURN OF DOCTOR X (1939)

"Icons of Horror: Boris Karloff," 2-discs of Columbia pics from Sony Pictures (10/17):
THE BLACK ROOM (1935)
THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG (1939)
BEFORE I HANG (1940)
THE BOOGIE MAN WILL GET YOU (1942)

The Karloff selections were Columbia B-budget productions, so they're filled with familiar Stooge costars in supporting roles, which should add to viewing enjoyment: Don Beddoe, John Tyrrell, James C. Morton, Ann Doran, Eddie Laughton, Kenneth MacDonald, Frank Sully, Richard Fiske, Bruce Bennett, Dick Curtis, Stanley Blystone, Grace Goodall, etc.

Lorna Gray costars as Karloff's daughter in THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG.

The original Little Shop of Horrors is fun

I last saw THE LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (1960) at least 25 years ago, with no real plan to watch it again... until last week. Jackie Joseph ('Audrey') was one of the celebrity guests at Mayberry Days in Mt. Airy NC last weekend, and I had an opportunity to spend time with her and her husband on Thursday. So I think I'll try and find a copy to watch soon.

Trivia I learned from Ms. Joseph: LITTLE SHOP fans know that it filmed in only two days... but Corman shot it on December 30 - 31, 1959 with the intent of finishing it before the Screen Actors Guild's new royalty contract with the studios took effect on 1/1/60, so his production company wouldn't have to pay residuals to the actors.

Offline JazzBill

I usually like anything thats cheesy and made before 1960. The exception to that rule is, I really enjoy the original "Night Of The Living Dead". It was made in the late 60s, but being in black & white helps.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

I'm not much into the horror genre, other than crossovers with comedy (e.g., A&C's "MEET" series, Shemp in THE INVISIBLE WOMAN, THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. RX, etc.). I also grew up watching DARK SHADOWS, so I have a nostalgic love for that TV series.

But I do have two DVD sets on order from Amazon that will take up some Halloween viewing time this year...

"Hollywood's Legends of Horror," 3-discs of MGM pics from Warner Home Video (10/10):
DOCTOR X (1932)
MASK OF FU MANCHU (1932)
MARK OF THE VAMPIRE (1935)
MAD LOVE (1935), costarring Ted Healy
THE DEVIL DOLL (1936)
RETURN OF DOCTOR X (1939)

"Icons of Horror: Boris Karloff," 2-discs of Columbia pics from Sony Pictures (10/17):
THE BLACK ROOM (1935)
THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG (1939)
BEFORE I HANG (1940)
THE BOOGIE MAN WILL GET YOU (1942)

The Karloff selections were Columbia B-budget productions, so they're filled with familiar Stooge costars in supporting roles, which should add to viewing enjoyment: Don Beddoe, John Tyrrell, James C. Morton, Ann Doran, Eddie Laughton, Kenneth MacDonald, Frank Sully, Richard Fiske, Bruce Bennett, Dick Curtis, Stanley Blystone, Grace Goodall, etc.

Lorna Gray costars as Karloff's daughter in THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG.

I last saw THE LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (1960) at least 25 years ago, with no real plan to watch it again... until last week. Jackie Joseph ('Audrey') was one of the celebrity guests at Mayberry Days in Mt. Airy NC last weekend, and I had an opportunity to spend time with her and her husband on Thursday. So I think I'll try and find a copy to watch soon.

Trivia I learned from Ms. Joseph: LITTLE SHOP fans know that it filmed in only two days... but Corman shot it on December 30 - 31, 1959 with the intent of finishing it before the Screen Actors Guild's new royalty contract with the studios took effect on 1/1/60, so his production company wouldn't have to pay residuals to the actors.

I'll be getting those two sets as well.  The Warners set features some true classic horror movies that prove Universal wasn't the only studio making good horrors in the 30's.

As for the Karloff set....I like Karloff, and love him when he's in a great movie, but unlike Lugosi, I have to be in the mood for Boris.  Love his Frankenstein turns, his Val Lewton performances, and his performance in THE BLACK CAT, though.  I hear THE BLACK ROOM is one of his performances, and if this is indeed prime Karloff, I imagine I'll enjoy it.  Truthfully, THE BLACK ROOM is one of the few 30's horror films that has any recognition that I have yet to see.  Looking forward to seeing him with Peter Lorre in THE BOOGIE MAN WILL GET YOU as well.  Here it's a light horror comedy and I imagine a fun little programmer.  Oh, and indeed Stooge character actors appear in some of those Karloff mad doctor movies.  They're definitely fun to spot.

As for me, I've been watching THE INNER SANCTUM set.  Got through the first two films so far, and they're nowhere near as bad as their reputation.  Not classics, but certainly fun movies, at least so far.  It was real cool seeing Evelyn Ankers (Universal regular who was the leading lady in THE WOLF MAN, and I think one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood), act in a bad girl role for once.  She was quite good.

Also saw FRANKENSTEIN'S CASTLE OF FREAKS (1974), hosted by the lovely Elvira, on DVD, and I'll explain this one tomorrow.  It's so messed up it deserves a post of it's own, and it's getting late now, so until tomorrow, I bid you all goodbye.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
As for me, I've been watching THE INNER SANCTUM set.  Got through the first two films so far, and they're nowhere near as bad as their reputation.  Not classics, but certainly fun movies, at least so far.  It was real cool seeing Evelyn Ankers (Universal regular who was the leading lady in THE WOLF MAN, and I think one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood), act in a bad girl role for once.  She was quite good.

I have several radio episodes of THE INNER SANCTUM, and they are very enjoyable. Thanks for reminding me - I'll be listening as well as watching this Halloween.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline sgt ladylove

I highly recommend Mad Love.  I taped it off of TMC this past week and it has quickly become one of my favorites.  I am embarrassed to say that it was my husband (the not-so-big-stooge-fan), not me, who pointed out, "Hey...isn't that the guy you sometimes see with the Three Stooges?"  Sure enough...Ted Healy!!!!

Another excellent aspect of this film is that it stars a very young Peter Lorre, I believe in his American film debut.  I posted a thread in YouTube about this, since I posted a series of clips from Mad Love on YouTube.  In fact, this was my first experience uploading to YouTube.  Here is a clip that shows a bit of Ted Healy. Any feedback would be most welcome!  For some reason my videos didn't sync quite right, which makes me a bit sad:

[youtube=425,350]mwVpiUyPqpQ[/youtube]

Anyhow, I also purchased both the Frankenstein and Dracula Legacy collections, which host a series of great films in each boxed set.  You MUST watch the Spanish version of Dracula, as it was filmed at the exact same time as the English version, only the Spanish cast came at night while the American cast came during the day.  Same props and everything!

Great stuff...

Offline metaldams

You can argue that if Bela Lugosi was in the Spanish version, it would be the superior Dracula film.  Even if the Spanish version is a half hour longer, it seems to go by quicker because of the pacing.  The first half hour or so of the English version is classic, but after that, the film shows its early talkie roots.

Love MAD LOVE as well.  It's also Colin Clive's only horror role outside of The Frankenstein movies.

- Doug Sarnecky