Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Calling Doctor Howard By The Finders

Offline howlinrock

Hello Stooge Fans,

I have allways been a great 3 Stooges fan and I once played in a band called The Finders back in 1984. We were and still are big fans of the Boys. We wrote and released (at nearly the same time as the curly shuffle), a 45 single as tribute to the 3 Stooges called "Calling Doctor Howard" specificlly dedicated to "Men In Black". This 45 was a regional hit in northern california. We used the actual audio tracks from the film of Curly and the loudspeaker. When we filmed this video we took out the audio tracks.The cover was banned due to Joan Mauer (Moes Daughter) objecting to me vomiting over a toilet with a picture of the 3 stooges on the wall behind me. The filp side of the 45 was a put down of fast food resturants. We recieved a cease and desist letter from Columbia Pictures thanks to Joan. The rest is history. Moe Feinberg was a great supporter of our band. The singles and other tracks were released last year on CD by Squid Music. We also have a page today on my space http://www.myspace.com/therealfinders

God bless the 3 Stooges.

John howlin "Rock" Perga

[youtube=425,350]MFT_5Mt2i7g[/youtube]
"Are you married or happy"?

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Dude - that was totally awesome!  I can't believe I've never heard or seen that before.   [thumbsup]

Have a beer  [cheers] and a doobie  [pot] on me ya knuckleheads!   ;D

Offline garystooge

I once played in a band called The Finders back in 1984. We were and still are big fans of the Boys. We wrote and released (at nearly the same time as the curly shuffle), a 45 single as tribute to the 3 Stooges. The cover was banned due to Joan Mauer (Moes Daughter) objecting to me vomiting over a toilet with a picture of the 3 stooges on the wall behind me. Moe Feinberg was a great supporter of our band.

Welcome John. I'm Moe Feinberg's grandson-in-law. Tucked away somewhere I have some correspondence between you and Moe. Also have a letter from a guy I think was named Jack Gray who might have been your manager at the time? Anyway, I have that original banned record sleeve....the funny thing is that you're credited with "Lead Vocals/Vomits"! Glad to hear that you guys are still rockin'!
Gary

Offline howlinrock

Welcome John. I'm Moe Feinberg's grandson-in-law. Tucked away somewhere I have some correspondence between you and Moe. Also have a letter from a guy I think was named Jack Gray who might have been your manager at the time? Anyway, I have that original banned record sleeve....the funny thing is that you're credited with "Lead Vocals/Vomits"! Glad to hear that you guys are still rockin'!
Gary

Hi Gary,

Wow it is a small world. Moe was a very kind man. I talked with him on the phone a few times. He sent me a lot of stooges stuff from his club. I have many of the newsletters etc. Jack Gray was our manager for a few months. Joe Olligher was our real manager (Nice Wise Guy:) who was a big stooges fan and he directed the Doctor Howard short for Video West here in SF. There are still a few banned sleeves floating around. There were three different covers for the 45. Each time we did a new pressing. I also still have the letter (somewhere) from Columbia, I should frame it:) . Thanks for the kind words. This is a great web site and forum.

John

Offline garystooge

Moe was a very kind man.He sent me a lot of stooges stuff from his club. I have many of the newsletters etc.  There were three different covers for the 45. Each time we did a new pressing. Thanks for the kind words. This is a great web site and forum.

What was the third cover sleeve for the 45, John? I have the banned "vomit" cover, and another one that looks like a crossword puzzle, but didn't know about a third one.

Anyway, believe it or not, I'm still publishing the fan club newsletters that Moe sent you back in the early 80s.  And yes, this is a great site. It contains an unbelievable amount of info, the webmaster is always trying to imporve it with new features, and the forum moderators do a good job of keeping out the trolls, shills and other assorted troublemakers that tend to gravitate to forums of this nature.
Gary

Offline falsealarms

This is the first time I've ever heard of this song, but then again, I wasn't even alive in 1984. I liked it though... it had a great 80's feel to it.  Music videos were worth watching 20 years ago.

Offline howlinrock

The last cover (third) had a picture of the band with the crossword design. I believe we gave more thanks in the credits as well due to fan club popularity and the response 'Bad Food" had when they (Radio) flipped the 45 over.

It's kinda of sad as we were a serious pop rock / power pop combo that became a novelty act and with the surgance of Punk at the time it all took a toll on us In San Francisco.

Funny now how our CD has sold recently and the nice reviews we have recieved... especially the Japanese fans...  :angel: hence it's title "Calling Doctor Power Pop"

In 2004 We recorded a new 5 track EP with the original members after 23 years. ::) What goes round has come around.......  :D