Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Music Quiz

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Which 1966 rock ‘n roll song was a musical interpretation of a passage of scripture and soared to #1? Name the group (just for completeness). Name the passage of scripture, and win the jackpot!
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Which 1966 rock ‘n roll song was a musical interpretation of a passage of scripture and soared to #1? Name the group (just for completeness). Name the passage of scripture, and win the jackpot!

Could that be "Land of Milk and Honey" by the Vogues?
And I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey: unto the place of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites.
-- Exodus 3: 8 (KJV)

Offline JazzBill

Turn Turn Turn, written by Pete Seeger. Made popular by the Byrds. Book of Ecclesiestes.

Turn! Turn! Turn!," also known by its full title "Turn! Turn! Turn! (to Everything There Is A Season)," is a song written by Pete Seeger, wherein Seeger set text from The Bible to music, specifically, a reading from the Book of Ecclesiastes, 3:1-8, in the Jewish Bible. Although he wrote it in the 1950s, Seeger waited until 1962 to record it, releasing the song on his The Bitter and The Sweet album on Columbia Records
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
DOH!  Can't believe I missed that one.  (I was just guessing from a quick Google search.  That'll teach me to not look further.)  [doh]

Offline JazzBill

DOH!  Can't believe I missed that one.  (I was just guessing from a quick Google search.  That'll teach me to not look further.)  [doh]
Unfortunately, I remember when the song came out. I just had to Google it to find the exact details.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Can you imagine the conversation between Mom and Dad when that child was born?
Dad: What shall we name him?
Mom: Bill? ... George? ... Sue? ...
Dad: I got it!! We'll name him Ecclesiastes!
Mom: Bill is easier to spell ...

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Who will play at Steve Irwin's wake?

Sting!
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline percytheslice

Apparently Steve Irwin isn't getting buried in a coffin but in a Croc Pot

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Apparently Steve Irwin isn't getting buried in a coffin but in a Croc Pot

This joke is destine for the classics, percy!!    [rotflmao]  [stooges]  [dance]

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
next quiz ... (not Sting related)
From these two words of lyrics, name the song and the artist ...
Serious Moonlight

Offline Bruckman

• Musclehead, juice addict, synthol abuser, and Booby Dupe
  • Birdbrain
David Bowie, "Let's Dance". Serious Moonlight was also the name of his tour circa 1983 I believe. OK, I'm not aging myself as much as Jazzbill, but still we're talking history - I can distinctly remember talking to a girl in one of my undergrad classes who'd attended a concert from this tour.
"If it wasn't for fear i wouldn't get out of bed in the morning" - Forrest Griffin

Offline metaldams

Try this one.  Same band for both, and let's see if you can guess the songs.

"Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty, and Dracula."

"Here's wishing you the bluest sky,
And hoping something better comes tomorrow.
Hoping all the verses rhyme,
And the very best of choruses too."

- Doug Sarnecky

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
As a service to metaldams, I will supply a clue or two to the quiz posed by him.

The first lyrics were released in the UK and Denmark late in 1968, with the album having the same name as the song.

The second lyrics was first released as a single in the UK and USA in mid 1981 on a 45 rpm record, then in late summer of the same year, was released on the album titled Give The People What They Want.

Offline garystooge

Offline garystooge

The first lyrics were released in the UK and Denmark late in 1968, with the album having the same name as the song.

I guess since this is the nitpicker's forum, it's OK to point out that the song is named "The Village Green Preservation Society", but the album is actually named "The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society".
Gary

Offline metaldams

Bah!  If I knew Gary was lurking, I'd try something much more difficult than the Kinks.  I don't think anybody has said it, but the second lyric is from "Better Things," which I think a couple of you guys already know.  By the way, I love the GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT album. 

I may possibly even teach Gary something about The Kinks here, so let's go for it.  It's obvious Ray Davies is ripping himself off in "Destroyer," (using the riff from "All Day and All of the Night" and referencing "Lola"), but in the song "Yo-Yo," the heavy guitar/organ chord progression in the pre-chorus is identical in both chords and tone to a song from a rocker in the 70's who went "solo" in 1975 and released a made for TV theatrical special this same year.  The song I am referring to even appears on this special.  Whether Ray Davies ever heard this song I have no clue, so the similarities could possibly be coincidence.  Nonetheless, the similarities are identical.  What song does "Yo-Yo" partially "rip off," and from whom?

If anybody else wants to give it a crack, my computer is crap and I can't offer MP3 downloads, so feel free to download "Yo-Yo" from The Kinks and give it a shot yourself.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

OK, listening to the two songs back to back for the first time, The Kinks version is just slightly heavier in tone and the rhythm is a tad different, so maybe my question is too obscure and only in the ears of metaldams.  The song I was thinking was "Department of Youth" off Alice Cooper's 1975 WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE album.  Very similar chord progression, and the first time I heard "Yo-Yo," I instantly thought of "Department of Youth."

Let's see if anybody can guess this band and songs.  The only clue I'll give is that if sickdrjoe is reading this, he'll wince, 'casue he HATES these guys!  As for me, I dig them.

"He told me tales and he drank my wine,
Me and my magic man kind of feeling fine."

"With the day, came the resolution, I'll be looking for you.
La la la, la-la.  La la la, la-la.  La, la....laaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, ah."  (The "la la la's" sound much better sung than written, of course)

"Take me across the water, 'cause I need some place to hide.
I've done the rancher's daughter, and I sure did hurt his pride."
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Here's two out of three (I don't know the first song):

July Morning and Stealin' by URIAH HEEP

To go a bit further, July Morning was from the album 'Look at Yourself' which I actually own and still enjoy once in a great while. Stealin' I'm guessing was from 'Demons and Wizards'.

And, I think it was Manfred Mann who played a moog synthesizer on 'July Morning'.

Offline JazzBill

"He told me tales and he drank my wine,
Me and my magic man kind of feeling fine."

"The Wizard" is off  "Demons And Wizards" Uriah Heep

"Stealin" is off  "Sweet Freedom"  Uriah Heep

Offline metaldams

You guys are correct with the answers, it's Uriah Heep.  The first lyric is "The Wizard" off DEMONS and WIZARDS, the second is "July Morning" off LOOK AT YOURSELF, and the third is "Stealin'" from SWEET FREEDOM.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline garystooge

OK, listening to the two songs back to back for the first time, The Kinks version is just slightly heavier in tone and the rhythm is a tad different, so maybe my question is too obscure and only in the ears of metaldams.  The song I was thinking was "Department of Youth" off Alice Cooper's 1975 WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE album.

I'm not really familiar with the post-1973 Alice Cooper stuff so I would never have know that one. The most blatant Kinks sound-alike is "Catch Me Now I'm Falling" which basically steals the main riff from "Jumpin Jack Flash". And I believe the Kinks were thinking of suing the Doors over "Hello I Love You" which smacks of "All Day and All of the Night". Of course nothing Like John Fogerty being sued for plagiarizing himself!
Gary

Offline metaldams

I'm not really familiar with the post-1973 Alice Cooper stuff so I would never have know that one. The most blatant Kinks sound-alike is "Catch Me Now I'm Falling" which basically steals the main riff from "Jumpin Jack Flash". And I believe the Kinks were thinking of suing the Doors over "Hello I Love You" which smacks of "All Day and All of the Night". Of course nothing Like John Fogerty being sued for plagiarizing himself!
Gary

LOVE IT TO DEATH, KILLER, and BILLION DOLLAR BABIES are among the best rock albums ever made (SCHOOL'S OUT ain't bad either, just a notch below the others).  The latter two especially may be the most cinematic albums I can think of, as those songs really paint a picture in your head.  I attribute this to both Alice's quirky personality and the brilliance of Bob Ezrin, my favorite rock producer ever along with George Martin. 

As for post '73 Cooper, WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE is worth checking out.  It's schmaltzier than the earlier albums, but still maintains those cinematic qualities I was speaking of earlier (heck, Vincent Price even makes a cameo).  THE LIFE AND CRIMES OF ALICE COOPER box set is the best way to go for a career overview of Alice.  It's by far my favorite box set.  Perfect booklet, packaging, length, and Alice's musical career was/is so varied it's easy to listen to the whole way through.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline garystooge

LOVE IT TO DEATH, KILLER, and BILLION DOLLAR BABIES are among the best rock albums ever made

AGREED!   And that was one great band to see live during that era. I think Alice is one of the best examples of someone who's a great lead vocalist without having a great voice.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Next Quiz A: Name the song/group from these verses of lyrics:

She's sweet on Wagner,
I think she'd die for Beethoven,
She loves the way Puccini lays down a tune,
And Verdi's always creeping from her room

Next Quiz B: What do these four items have in common?
1. The liberty bell
2. A naked person
3. A serpent that squeezes the life from it's victims
4. Le Cirque Du Soleil

Offline Bruckman

• Musclehead, juice addict, synthol abuser, and Booby Dupe
  • Birdbrain
Maybe I have ESP but I had this odd feeling a couple days ago there'd be a question involving ELO. (ESP? ELO? Hiya, how YOU doin'?")

Sorry, I'm punchy this morning.

Anyway, answer to part A is ELO, "Rockaria" (or is it "Rock Aria"?)

What do the things in part B have in common, I dunno. "Things That Are Cracked"? "Things That Suffer From Shrinkage"?
"If it wasn't for fear i wouldn't get out of bed in the morning" - Forrest Griffin