Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Early Stooges Stuff, can it be found?

leandar · 41 · 12904

Pilsner Panther

A couple weeks ago, I found "The Stooges Lost Episodes" at the library. It said that "The Hollywood Party" was edited. Exactly what in the world was edited out? Is it in its' entirety on the video it was released on?
        And what was edited out of "Movie Maniacs"? I don't find anything objectionable in it.

That's because it was edited out, nyuk nyuk nyuk!

Seriously, though, I can't answer your question about "The Hollywood Party" (BeAStooge or garystooge might know), but what was edited out of "Movie Maniacs" was the scene where the Stooges practice kissing on some cute young starlets. This was cut when the shorts were sold to television in the late 50's; back then, you couldn't even say the word "pregnant" on TV, the censors were so strict (that is, prudish). When Curly gets his kiss, he falls over backwards, thrashing around on the floor and "woo-wooing." A very innocent routine, by today's standards!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
A couple weeks ago, I found "The Stooges Lost Episodes" at the library. It said that "The Hollywood Party" was edited. Exactly what in the world was edited out? Is it in its' entirety on the video it was released on?

That book states that some local broadcast stations had been known to cut the Stooges' scene for time constraints and commercials.

HOLLYWOOD PARTY (1934) has never been edited, in the context to which you refer.  It is complete on the VHS release of 1994, it will be complete when it hits DVD on Warner Bros.'  rumored (maybe in 2006) boxset of Laurel & Hardy's MGM films, and when shown on TCM it is complete.

Ted & the Stooges' HP scene is also included in the MGM feature compilation THE MGM BIG PARADE OF COMEDY (1964), released on VHS in 1994.

Curley91

Oh. Thank you for telling me that.  I watch the stooges from the Chicago network WCIU. They run 98% of their shorts in their entirety. I could still use an unedited copy of "So long, mr. chumps".

ShempThePimp

Is it possible for any one to have a copy of HELLO POP! ???

Pilsner Panther

Is it possible for any one to have a copy of HELLO POP! ???

(Pils slaps forehead in frustration...)

>:(

Please scroll up to reply #22, from BeAStooge. In case you don't know— since you're new here— BeAStooge is one of the most learned Stooges experts around, and we're really lucky to have him as a contributor here. If he says that no print of "Hello Pop" is known to exist, you can take that to the bank!

ShempThePimp

I mean , if it were shown in theaters , might they have a copy ???

Offline girlovestooges

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how I can get a dvd or vhs copy of "Spooks".

Offline girlovestooges

Im trying like crazy to think of the name of a certain episode, all I can think of is the very end of it. They are all 2 standing together and moe starts saying something and one of the others say "BOO" and moe starts crying, then its over. Does anyone have any idea which episode it might be? If so how can I get a copy of that episode on dvd or vhs? Hope someone knows what Im talking about. Thanks

Melanie(girlovestooges)

Offline Bruckman

• Musclehead, juice addict, synthol abuser, and Booby Dupe
  • Birdbrain
I mean , if it were shown in theaters , might they have a copy ???

I'm going to slap my forehead in frustration if this keeps up..............

Look bud, what part of "lost" do you not understand? Theatres do not, and did not in 1933, keep copies of films. A print of a film would circulate to many different theatres before being returned to the exchange or distributor.

HELLO, POP does not exist in any known form: neither as a negative, a positive, a dupe print, anything. It was filmed in 2-strip Technicolor, which was very unstable chemically; it deteriorated even faster than regular nitrate if not preserved, or the colors would "hypo" out of existence. Since, in the 1930s, studios did not have the money to conserve films, nor any real reason to do so opnce they'd finished their initial runs, nothing was done to keep HELLO POP from falling apart. Sure, it would be nice if a copy turned up in private ownership but the odds are very long against that happening, and finding a print that would still be projectable, let alone in good enough condition to be transferred to video.

I find the idea that there's an unlabeled can of film sitting in the back of an ancient theatre somewhere with a print of HELLO POP inside pretty laughable, given that most of the theatres that existed in 1933 aren't even around anymore.
"If it wasn't for fear i wouldn't get out of bed in the morning" - Forrest Griffin

Offline Bruckman

• Birdbrain
Im trying like crazy to think of the name of a certain episode, all I can think of is the very end of it. They are all 2 standing together and moe starts saying something and one of the others say "BOO" and moe starts crying, then its over. Does anyone have any idea which episode it might be? If so how can I get a copy of that episode on dvd or vhs? Hope someone knows what Im talking about. Thanks

Melanie(girlovestooges)

That's from IN THE SWEET PIE AND PIE (1941). It's at the end of the first scene in the film, not the end of the film. Moe's asked to say a few words about his pending release from jail on a radio microphone and instead starts intoning "I am the Shadow.....," and Larry says "Boo!" Then the scene fades to the next one...
"If it wasn't for fear i wouldn't get out of bed in the morning" - Forrest Griffin

Pilsner Panther

It's a real long shot, Bruck, but supposedly "lost" films can turn up, even many decades later:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007L4MK/qid=1123802771/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-6163205-7007356?v=glance&s=dvd

I have this DVD, and I've got to say that the restoration job is superb, considering what they had to work with. This is absolutely the funniest of the Arbuckle-Keaton collaborations, by the way (with "The Bellboy" and "The Garage" a close second and third). Both stars show off their acrobatic and juggling skills to the max— I highly recommend it to anyone who loves slapstick.

So, a print of "Hello, Pop" could be found somewhere, yet (after all, people are going around searching for lost films), but I'd say the odds against it are pretty high. As for two-strip Technicolor, a few years ago I saw a print of "The King of Jazz" with Paul Whiteman (and a very young Bing Crosby), in a theater. It was filmed in 2-strip Technicolor in 1930, and the color didn't look bad at all, except for the predominance of blues and reds that you always see with that process. How or why the film was preserved and the color didn't deteriorate, I couldn't tell you, though.

Curley91

Are You Joshing us? Do you REALLY mean a print of "Hello, Pop" exists!?!? I have been wanting to see that ever since I became a stooges fan! (which was very long ago!) I looked at the amazon.com reviews, but it didn't say anything about that film. Am I missing something? ???

Pilsner Panther

Are You Joshing us? Do you REALLY mean a print of "Hello, Pop" exists!?!? I have been wanting to see that ever since I became a stooges fan! (which was very long ago!) I looked at the amazon.com reviews, but it didn't say anything about that film. Am I missing something? ???

Just the whole point of what I said, that's all. To quote Moe, "I'll explain it so that even you can understand it:"

;)

1. Not all "lost" films are really lost forever. Some have been found and restored, even after seventy or eighty or ninety years. However, that doesn't happen very often; the chances of finding one are about the same as discovering a "lost" Van Gogh painting in your attic or basement or garage.

2. I'm not saying that a copy of "Hello, Pop" exists (in whatever form); I'm just saying that the possibility can't be ruled out that one does. Check out what garystooge has to say— right on this site— about the rediscovery and restoration of "Soup To Nuts," and you'll see how unlikely it is that some of these early sound films survived, and how much work went into making them available again.

Offline Bruckman

• Birdbrain
I've seen that print of "King of Jazz" too, and outside of the typical murkiness toward the green end of the spectrum, it was superb. So is the Eddie Cantor musical "Whoopee", another 1930 2-strip Technicolor feature: it looks as vivid as the day it was released. These, being "prestige" films, probably stood a better chance of preservation; also a greater number of prints were likely struck off the neg, increasing the chance for survival. MGM, despite its self-proclaimed status as the Tiffany of studios, did a lousy job looking after its films. That's why we have no existing complete prints of "The Rogue Song" and what snippets do exist turned up in the hands of private collectors. If any of "Hello Pop" does exist, it's more than likely to be brief fragments, not a complete reel.

Again, people, we're not saying "Hello Pop" exists, we're just saying there's a very very slim chance some of it may be out there, bits and pieces so brief a non-Stooge enthusiast might not realize what they are or how rare they may be.

Offline girlovestooges

Hi there everyone. Soup to Nuts DVD is on sale on ebay, there are quite a few of them listed. Go have a look.

Girlovestooges

xraffle

The Soup to Nuts DVD is available at a lot of stores. I've seen a lot of copies at Best Buy for $7.99, which is a very good price.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 06:18:53 PM by xraffle »