Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

What to do with a Stooges collection

witch · 10 · 4487

Offline witch

I have recently been offered an opportunity to obtain a three stooges collection that belonged to a family member. I know little or nothing about stooge collectibles, but in searching I found this site, so I am asking you what too look for and how best to resell this collection.

I last saw this collection about 10 years ago, at that time it had supposedly been appraised for about $25,000, but I have no real idea of its actual value. At this time it is in storage and I will need to travel to the west coast to pick it up and or get a true inventory and photos.

It is currently stored in about 12, (30 gallon plastic) containers not including poster tubes and stand up cutouts, and fills the bed of a small pickup truck (to give you some idea of its size).

Some of the items included are as follows:

1947 poster Swing parade
5-7 posters 1969-1974 have rocket will travel
Lobby cards from the late 1960’s
Letter from Larry Fine
Joe Derita/Joe Bessler signatures and photos
1959 Derita fan club kit
1950-1960 fan club book
Photo (believed to have been taken shortly before Moes death)
60 some cards in display case
Zippo lighter set with sales display case
Numerous toys puppets and dolls
Photo albums
Video tapes
Happy birthday 45rpm record

I realize that this is not much information to go on but it is the best I have at this time.
So any information you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

ThumpTheShoes

My uncle is Ed Sotheby of Sotheby Auctions, Intl. He could tell you the exact dollar amount that all this
loot, er, I mean these "common", dare I say, not really collectible set of items is worth!

Just send me a PM and we'll get the lot shipped to my house for appraisal!    ::)

Yep, I'm yankin' yer chain! One thing I'm curious about-- to whom did the photo albums belong to?
Lots of luck with the loot!
-ThumpTheShoes

Offline JazzBill

$25.000 ten years ago, they can't be serious. I'd tell them what to do with it, but there's been enough trouble around here for one day.
Hello, ThumpTheShoes, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I need to get rid of, are you interested? ::)
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

ThumpTheShoes

I have a bridge in Brooklyn I need to get rid of, are you interested?

Do you finance?   ::)  ::)

Offline witch

Well I finally made the trip out west to pick up the collection I referred to here earlier last year.

I still have no real idea what its value is or how best to dispose of it, but for what it is worth I have photographed about 4 of the containers and posted the pictures over at Piasa.

So any information you could offer or hints on what too look for would be greatly appreciated.

This URL should get you there, otherwise just use Piasa.Info and look under 3 stooges in the general discussion category.

stooges collection photos

Offline nyukster

Witch:
I looked at some of your collection.  Most of it is stuff you commonly see at the annual Stooge gathering in Philly, or at collectible shows across the country.  Some of it (especially the dolls and statues) appear to be in near-mint condition, so you should get a fair return there.  One word of advice, if I may: You might want to seek the help of a bonifide Stooge fan to help you look over the stuff before you seriously post to sell.  For example, one picture you refer to as "an elderly Moe", when in fact the picture is of Mousie Garner.

Offline witch

Nyukster
Thank You
Good advice, unfortunately I do not have ready access to a stooge fan with the requisite knowledge base to help me out which is why I am seeking help on line (you would not happen to know of one in the St Louis area would you?).

Yours is the 1st response I have received since I posted the original set of photos and you have already pointed me to the difference between Moe and Mousie Garner, so I will correct that and do some more research on the rest of the photos.

I have already ascertained that some of this collection originated from the estate of a Jules White, which as I understand it is a good thing, likewise I have ascertained that certain items need to be drawn together as they are stored in separate containers.

So far I have only posted photos of ¼ of the collection, and have no idea if any of it is missing, although it seems to me on its face so far that the $25,000 figure I was originally quoted was excessive.

I presume that the common items you referred to are things like the Butane lighters, pencils, magnets, and such like that. I found the Statues and plate’s exceptional items but have not been able to locate a list of relative value, the stack of comic books (which I have not posted yet) should be easy enough to appraise.

Would you recommend keeping the entire collection together or dividing it into smaller lots? I do not wish to sell it as individual pieces, and would prefer that it goes to some one who would value it.

Thanks again
 Witch

Offline Hammond Eggar

Some of the items included are as follows:

1947 poster Swing parade
5-7 posters 1969-1974 have rocket will travel
Lobby cards from the late 1960’s
Letter from Larry Fine
Joe Derita/Joe Bessler signatures and photos
1959 Derita fan club kit
1950-1960 fan club book
Photo (believed to have been taken shortly before Moes death)
60 some cards in display case
Zippo lighter set with sales display case
Numerous toys puppets and dolls
Photo albums
Video tapes
Happy birthday 45rpm record

The item I'm most interested in is the Swing Parade of 1946 poster.  What can you tell us about the item?  I assume it's a one-sheet.  Are the Stooges pictured on it? [pie]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline witch

I still have done very little about itemizing these items (I still don’t even have them all unpacked) let alone finding out what they are worth individually or collectively.

But here is a picture of the poster  Swing Parade of 1946 poster

Offline garystooge

The item I'm most interested in is the Swing Parade of 1946 poster.  What can you tell us about the item?  I assume it's a one-sheet.

That poster from "Swing Parade" is a 22" x 28" style "B" half-sheet poster (there was also a style "A' half-sheet available). Half sheet posters were sent out rolled, but this one clearly appears to have been folded.
Gary