The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Zogby Poll

jrvass · 7 · 1738

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
More people can name the 3 Stooges than can name the 3 branches of government:

http://www.zogby.com/wf-AOL%20National.pdf

Although question 7 is not truly accurate (they list only 1 valid result), the study does show that the dopes seen on "Jay-Walking" on the 'Tonight Show' are fairly representative.

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Pilsner Panther

I heard an ABC radio news story yesterday that was based on this same poll, but it emphasized the statistic (pgs. 3-4) that more people could name the Seven Dwarfs than the Justices of the Supreme Court. I gave myself the test, and got all the Justices but only five out of seven Dwarfs; but then I'm a politics-government junkie, so that's not surprising.

You'd think that more of the respondents would have done better with the Justices since the Court is in the news so much these days, but it seems not.

"When ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."

[noevils]

Come to think of it, we'd be much better off with Dopey, Sneezy, and Happy on the Court rather than Scalia, Thomas, and Alito!

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
(snips) Come to think of it, we'd be much better off with Dopey, Sneezy, and Happy on the Court rather than Scalia, Thomas, and Alito!

Aww c'mon Pils. How can you say that when Souter and his ilk came up with that "turd floater" of a decision in Kelo?

James

Pilsner Panther

Aww c'mon Pils. How can you say that when Souter and his ilk came up with that "turd floater" of a decision in Kelo?

James

You'll have to refresh my memory here; was Kelo the Eminent Domain case? If so, I agree that that was a really lousy ruling.

Offline garystooge

More people can name the 3 Stooges than can name the 3 branches of government:

I'm always deeply troubled when I read surveys that cite the fact that 73% of people can name the Stooges but only 21% can name the 3 branches of the US Government....I'm troubled because only 73% can name the Stooges!  Shouldn't 100% of respondents be able to name them????
Gary

Offline Bruckman

• Musclehead, juice addict, synthol abuser, and Booby Dupe
  • Birdbrain
You'd have to break it down into "Third Stooge" demographics: how many responded "Moe, Larry, and Curly", how many "Moe, Larry and Shemp", etc.

Always wonder on those Jaywalking segments how many people get the answers right (which, lacking comedy value, wouldn't be shown). On the other hand, the alleged college students ignorant of government of N. American geography is appalling. (Fallout of a public school education).

Let's see if I can name the 3 branches: the Legislative Assembly,....aw no, I lived in Canada too long. (Geo W. must be grateful we don't have a parliamentary system of government: he'd have long since received a vote of No Confidence and been unseated).
"If it wasn't for fear i wouldn't get out of bed in the morning" - Forrest Griffin

Offline jrvass

• Birdbrain
You'll have to refresh my memory here; was Kelo the Eminent Domain case? If so, I agree that that was a really lousy ruling.

Yes, you get a gold star. For those that are unfamiliar with the case, the Kelo decision allows the government (city, township, whatever) to claim Eminent Domain and take property in the name of "a greater public good". A typical example of this involves declaring desirable property an "urban renewal zone" and buying the property from owners for a pittance, then turning over the property to developers who build high-priced homes. The "greater public good" is higher tax revenues on the redeveloped property.

Bruckman, the table data (respondents, % of total) is here:

7. What are the names of the Three Stooges?

Larry, Curly, and Moe  89673.8%
Larry, Curly, Shemp    9  .7%
Moe, Larry and Joe   10  .8%
Moe, Larry and Curly Joe    8   .6%
Other   81  6.7%
NS  209 17.2%
Total 1213 100.0%

James