Linked Events

• MEET THE BARON on DVD: November 21, 2006
  • GOLD RAIDERS on DVD: November 21, 2006

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
BURBANK, Calif.  (BUSINESS WIRE)  Aug. 14, 2006

On November 21, Warner Home Video tickles the funny bone with the release of "Classic Comedy Teams Collection," featuring six classic comedies from three of Hollywood's legendary comedy teams - The Three Stooges, Abbott and Costello, and Laurel and Hardy. The three double-feature discs include MEET THE BARON (1933)/GOLD RAIDERS (1951), AIR RAID WARDENS (1943)/NOTHING BUT TROUBLE (1944) and LOST IN A HAREM (1944)/ABBOTT & COSTELLO IN HOLLYWOOD (1945).

The Collection will sell for $28.98 SRP with the individual double features of each team available for $14.97 SRP.

Offline falsealarms

Now there's something to get excited about. I've never seen MEET THE BARON or GOLD RAIDERS. I've been a Stooges fan since I was 5 (16 years ago) so I'm glad those films are finally out on a wide basis.

Offline falsealarms

Apparently this is the DVD cover for MEET THE BARONS/GOLD RAIDERS

Source - dvdtown.com

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Now there's something to get excited about. I've never seen MEET THE BARON or GOLD RAIDERS. I've been a Stooges fan since I was 5 (16 years ago) so I'm glad those films are finally out on a wide basis.

You're in for a treat, falsealarms.  Gold Raiders is okay, but Meet the Baron is funny as hell.  The stars are Jimmy Durante and Jack Pearl, but the Stooges steal the scene everytime they're on.  You're gonna love the "shower" scene.   ;)

Although I have both of these on VHS (recorded from TV), I am looking forward to adding this to my DVD collection.  ;D

Offline AKStoogeFan

I can't wait to buy this Stooges DVD.  I've never seen those films either.  I might have to get the whole box set, since I haven't seen those Abbott & Costello or Laurel & Hardy movies either.  Or maybe I did but was too young to remember.  I used to watch alot more classic comedy movies when I was a kid than I do now.  I'm gonna have to change that since my oldest kid thinks Nickelodeon's "Mr. Meaty" is the funniest thing ever.  Time to bombard him with Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello, Hope & Crosby, Martin & Lewis, and, of course, the Stooges.

Offline Robbie883

Glad to see some of these pre-columbia features are still being released for the Stooges. Definately a must buy for me.

xraffle

You're in for a treat, falsealarms.  Gold Raiders is okay, but Meet the Baron is funny as hell.  The stars are Jimmy Durante and Jack Pearl, but the Stooges steal the scene everytime they're on.  You're gonna love the "shower" scene.   ;)

Although I have both of these on VHS (recorded from TV), I am looking forward to adding this to my DVD collection.  ;D

I never saw "Meet The Barons," but I'm glad to hear it's funny. I only saw "Gold Raiders" and I thought it was pretty good. I'm really going to look forward to this DVD.

Offline metaldams

Shower scene?  What is this, comical or racy (hey, this film is pre-code, and it should be fascinating to see the boys in this era). 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Shower scene?  What is this, comical or racy (hey, this film is pre-code, and it should be fascinating to see the boys in this era). 

Oh, it's pretty racy alright, even if you don't actually see anything!   ;D

There's a musical number that the girls at the college sing while washing in the large dormitory shower, and then something goes wrong with the plumbing and the water stops!  And of course the school's custodians (Ted Healy and the Stooges) are called in to get the water flowing again.   ;)

xraffle

Oh, it's pretty racy alright, even if you don't actually see anything!   ;D

There's a musical number that the girls at the college sing while washing in the large dormitory shower, and then something goes wrong with the plumbing and the water stops!  And of course the school's custodians (Ted Healy and the Stooges) are called in to get the water flowing again.   ;)

Oh yeah, I remember that. I haven't actually seen the movie, but I saw a clip of it. I have the VHS tape called "The Lost Stooges" and they showed about 3-5 minutes of that shower scene. That was hilarious. I can't wait to see the entire movie.

Offline Robbie883

Oh yeah, I remember that. I haven't actually seen the movie, but I saw a clip of it. I have the VHS tape called "The Lost Stooges" and they showed about 3-5 minutes of that shower scene. That was hilarious. I can't wait to see the entire movie.

Thats the same with me.

Offline Wilson7777

I can't wait for this release!

I haven't seen either films, but they will be a welcome addition to my collection!

===========
Wilson7777

Offline falsealarms

Just a bump for this as the release is this Tues, 11/21. Personally, I think this is the most exciting Stooge DVD release in quite some time.'

Here are the prices, before shipping and/or tax, that I've found

Amazon $11.19
dvdempire.com $10.48
dvdplanet.com $9.95 (+20% more off using code 20offsale ... good to 11/26)
deepdiscountdvd.com $8.98 (+20% more off using code dvdtalk from 11/21 to 11/23)

xraffle

Just a bump for this as the release is this Tues, 11/21. Personally, I think this is the most exciting Stooge DVD release in quite some time.'

Here are the prices, before shipping and/or tax, that I've found

Amazon $11.19
dvdempire.com $10.48
dvdplanet.com $9.95 (+20% more off using code 20offsale ... good to 11/26)
deepdiscountdvd.com $8.98 (+20% more off using code dvdtalk from 11/21 to 11/23)

This is definitely exciting. And 2 movies for around $10-12 is an excellent price. I'm definitely going to look for a copy of this DVD on Tuesday.

xraffle

I never got a chance to run to the store and get one yet. Once I get a chance, I'll be sure to get a copy.

Curley91

Offline falsealarms

Offline falsealarms

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/showreview.php3?ID=9069

A review of the DVD, plus the A&C, L&H ones also in the collection. Gold Raiders is worth it alone, but I hope the Stooges are in more than a "few scenes" in Meet the Baron.

Offline falsealarms

I had never seen either, but some first impressions:

GOLD RAIDERS: Solid effort, but it dragged in the second half when the Stooges were nowhere to be seen for about 10 minutes. It's too bad they didn't do more features with Shemp. This was better than some of their westerns like Merry Mavericks and Out West.

MEET THE BARON: I watched this a second time and it was much better. The scenes with the Stooges still easily make the movie enjoyable, but I warmed up to Pearl and Durante, moreso Durante. Baron Munchausen vaugely reminds me of Borat, but just slightly. Ted Healy wasn't too bad for once - normally I'm not a fan of his.

The DVD itself was well designed and the menus were better than the Sony releases.

Offline moelarrycurly3

I got mine the other day. I already had both of these on VHS but it is great that the Stooges are not forgotten when it comes to releasing new material to DVD. Just to add to the reviews that have already been posted, Meet the Baron is very funny but Gold Raiders, personally, is pretty bad. The Stooges selling insurance? It doesn't really matter though because it is the Stooges and I am ecstatic that these were released and I look forward to more.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
I got mine the other day. I already had both of these on VHS but it is great that the Stooges are not forgotten when it comes to releasing new material to DVD. Just to add to the reviews that have already been posted, Meet the Baron is very funny but Gold Raiders, personally, is pretty bad. The Stooges selling insurance? It doesn't really matter though because it is the Stooges and I am ecstatic that these were released and I look forward to more.

I dunno. I don't sell insurance but I've programmed their (Auto/Home/Health) computers for the past 10 years! I've probably been called worse things than a "stooge"... in the past 48 hours! :D

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

xraffle

I have to say, this is one heck of a hard DVD to find, at least for me. I went to 3 Best Buys and none of them carried it. So, I decided to order it from Amazon. I received the DVD a few days ago and just finished watching it yesterday. In my opinion, this is a great DVD to own. You get two rare stooge movies for around $13, which is a great deal.

I already saw Gold Raiders before I got this DVD. The movie is pretty good. However, the movie is quite short, running only 56 minutes, and the stooges should have been given a little bit more screen time. One big problem I have with the movie is that the stooges have very little screen time during the last 17 minutes of the film. But, the stooges give great performance is in this movie, in my opinion.

While others may disagree, I actually like Meet The Baron better. Of course, the movie would have been much better if the stooges were given a lot more screen time, but whenever the stooges are in a scene, they deliver an excellent performance. I especially liked the scene where the stooges were fixing the pipes because the showers stopped running. I also like this movie because Jack Pearl and Jimmy Durante were absolutely hilarious in this movie. That is the main reason why I like this movie better than Gold Raiders. Every actor in this movie managed to make me laugh out loud.

I highly recommend buying this set, that is, if you can find a store that carries it. For those of you that are thinking of buying the colorized Sony DVDs, I think that you should skip those and use that money for this DVD instead. It is a much better investment.

Offline Justin T

It took me several weeks to finally get my hands on this DVD, I kept going from Best Buy to Best Buy
with no luck. FINALLY this past weekend I got my hands on it.

I have never seen either movie, but I have seen clips of scenes from "Meet The Baron" on the
old Maltin narrated VHS tape "The Lost Stooges" esp the shower scene, so I have been
looking foward to seeing these rare Stooge movies finally come out on on DVD.

So far I've watched "Gold Raiders" first and I have to say I really enjoyed it, its not one of
their classics but its pretty good. I enjoyed the ammount of screen time they got and
the gags were quite good, I loved the "Magical Eye Glasses" gag with the eye chart.
The only problem I had, like xraffle, was that the Stooges dissapear for a long stretch in
the last 15 minutes of the movie, they finally return during the climatic battle with the
bad guys. Other than that it was a alot of fun. They should have made more movies
with Shemp.

I hope Meet The Baron is as good as people have said, I'll add my thoughts on that later.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline falsealarms

Why put yourself through all that hassle? Just order it from amazon.com or dvdempire.com next time.