Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

MEET THE BARON and GOLD RAIDERS coming to DVD Nov. 21

BeAStooge · 44 · 15489

Linked Events

• MEET THE BARON on DVD: November 21, 2006
  • GOLD RAIDERS on DVD: November 21, 2006

Offline Justin T

Why put yourself through all that hassle? Just order it from amazon.com or dvdempire.com next time.

Yes, In the past I have used Amazon but for some reason I was just being...lazy.

Next time I want a Stooge DVD that badly, I'll order it online.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

xraffle

The reason why I go to Best Buy is because sometimes it's cheaper there. I sometimes hesitate to buy from Amazon because sometimes it costs more there and whenever I pick Free Super Saver Shipping, they take a week to ship an item.

What I never understand about Best Buy is why there are some DVDs they don't carry, such as this one. And Circuit City is ten times worse. They never carry the DVD I want.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Circus City is losing money and gained a swell reputation by replacing a lot of it's long-time employees with fresh (i.e. inexperienced and cheaper) workers.

Best Buy blows. There is at most only 2 people in the store at any one time that know how to work the cash registers. Even at Christmas!

http://www.improveverywhere.com/2006/04/23/best-buy/

(It takes about 30 seconds to load with cable. A lot of pictures. But it is funny!)

"DV Cams: Agents Shafer, EMartin, Reeves, Carlson
Digital Photography: Agents Nicholson, Todd
Mission Inspired By: Agent Slavinsky

The idea for this mission was submitted by a stranger via email. Agent Slavinsky wrote in to suggest I get either a large group of people in blue polo shirts and khakis to enter a Best Buy or a group in red polo shirts and khakis to enter a Target. Wearing clothing almost identical to the store’s uniform, the agents would not claim to work at the store but would be friendly and helpful if anyone had a question. There aren’t any Targets in Manhattan, so I decided to go with the two-story Best Buy on 23rd Street."

Amazon? I only have to walk to the mailbox. And I don't mind waiting a week for Super-Saver shipping. Hell, I had probably taken a few weeks to get around to ordering it anyway. What's another week? It's not like I don't have a stack of shit to do. I'm not going to be sitting around eating Cheetoh's and playing with myself while I wait!  :o

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline Justin T

Yes, Circut City sucks indeed. I've been there before and wasn't thrilled.
Then they went and fired alot of long time employes to hire cheaper new ones
just to save money. That really endeared them to me.

Best Buy isn't perfect, but like xraffle I go there because usually Best Buy has
the cheaper price, esp compared to FYE over here in Rochester, NY. I usually
get good deals at Best Buy which is why i go there alot.

Amazon has always been reliable when I buy from it, it arrives either on time or early
in my mailbox and saves me money, I love it.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

xraffle

Yes, Circut City sucks indeed. I've been there before and wasn't thrilled.
Then they went and fired alot of long time employes to hire cheaper new ones
just to save money. That really endeared them to me.

Best Buy isn't perfect, but like xraffle I go there because usually Best Buy has
the cheaper price, esp compared to FYE over here in Rochester, NY. I usually
get good deals at Best Buy which is why i go there alot.

Amazon has always been reliable when I buy from it, it arrives either on time or early
in my mailbox and saves me money, I love it.

What's great about Circuit City is that they have great prices, but they never carry the DVD I want. So, their low prices is useless to me. What's good about Amazon is that once they ship an item, it arrives as quickly as 1-2 days. The problem I have with them is that when you pick Free Shipping, they purposely delay the shipment for about a week. Some maybe ok with that, but with me, it's annoying. If you pay for shipping, they ship it right away. But with Free Shipping, they wait an extra week. I guess they're trying to get people annoyed so they pay for the shipping. I find that so stupid. Why offer the Free Shipping option if they're just going to inconvenience their customers like that?

Offline Justin T

I finally got around to watching "Meet the Baron" and I really enjoyed it. Jimmy Durante and Jack Pearl
were pretty funny to watch. Ted and the Stooges really do steal the movie every time they show up.
The whole sequence of them trying to fix the pipes in the girls shower room was hilarious.

I'm so glad I got this DVD, both movies are alot of fun and should be in any Stooge fan's collection.

If only they would release more of their obscure movies to DVD like "Myrt and Marge", "Rocking in the Rockies"
or "Time Out For Rhythm". Thanks to ThumpTheShoes I got copies of both Rockies and Rhythm. Rhythm
was really good. I'd love to see it on DVD with some nice extra material.
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline archiezappa

I've never seen either movie.  I hope to get them on dvd soon.  Maybe they'll release more of these obscure films on dvd.  They will if the new box sets from Sony sell well.  Right now is a good time to collect the 3 Stooges films.

Offline metaldams

OK, I'm bringing up an old thread, but many yaers after the fact, I finally bought this DVD.  GOLD RAIDERS I've seen before and am looking forward to seeing again, but I have yet to see MEET THE BARON.  I waited a while on purpose to save some new Stooges for the future, but today I go to Walgreen's to buy toothpaste and shaving gel, stumble across a $3.99 DVD section, and not expecting to find much, catch GOLD RAIDERS/MEET THE BARON.  I guess the future is now, so I'll be chipping in my thoughts on these films soon.

Really excited to see some vintage Stooges I haven't seen before, and from what I understand, they have a decent role too.  Add Jimmy Durante and Zasu Pitts, and this sounds like it could be fun.

- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

OK, I'm bringing up an old thread, but many yaers after the fact, I finally bought this DVD.  GOLD RAIDERS I've seen before and am looking forward to seeing again, but I have yet to see MEET THE BARON.  I waited a while on purpose to save some new Stooges for the future, but today I go to Walgreen's to buy toothpaste and shaving gel, stumble across a $3.99 DVD section, and not expecting to find much, catch GOLD RAIDERS/MEET THE BARON.  I guess the future is now, so I'll be chipping in my thoughts on these films soon.

Really excited to see some vintage Stooges I haven't seen before, and from what I understand, they have a decent role too.  Add Jimmy Durante and Zasu Pitts, and this sounds like it could be fun.

In my opinion, both movies are good. I think you'll enjoy the DVD.

Offline Justin T

In my opinion, both movies are good. I think you'll enjoy the DVD.

I agree, I liked both I hope you enjoy them Metal. Nice price to get them at too.
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline falsealarms

I recommend both films. Gold Raiders suffers considerably when the Stooges aren't on screen, but when they are, it's rather enjoyable. Meet The Baron is pretty decent. Healy and the Stooges have some good scenes.

Offline metaldams

I recommend both films. Gold Raiders suffers considerably when the Stooges aren't on screen, but when they are, it's rather enjoyable. Meet The Baron is pretty decent. Healy and the Stooges have some good scenes.

Monday is my 11 hour work day, so I need to save the one I didn't yet see for tonight.

Last night, I did watch GOLD RAIDERS for the second time, and the first time was years ago.

The only way, and it's kind of minor, that I can say the Derita features are better than GOLD RAIDERS is because those are films where the plots revolve around the boys and GOLD RAIDERS is a western with the boys in comic relief.  I say minor point because the comic relief is plenty in GOLD RAIDERS and better than any of the Derita features.  Moe, Larry and Shemp are in great form and that old guy in THE TOOTH WILL OUT dentist scene even appears as a drunken prop!

As for the non-Stooge moments, I actually am in a strange b-western mood lately, so I even enjoyed that aspect of GOLD RAIDERS.  George O'Brien was good ( he's the lead in SUNRISE if there are any other fellow silent film drama dorks here), and while nobody's going to mistake this one for a John Ford film, it's a passable western programmer, and at 56 minutes, pretty easy to digest.

But man, early 50's, a feature film directed by Ed Bernds with The Three Stooges....I said the same thing when I saw those Bernds directed Bowery Boys films, and that's b-features are what the boys should have been doing the second Bernds left Columbia.  There are maybe 3 or 4 classic shorts we'd miss out on, but something tells me the features with Shemp would've more than made up for it and we'd have no remakes.

MEET THE BARON tonight!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Of the two, MEET THE BARON was better all around for me. I wonder if it was the same for you. I might need to re-watch MEET THE BARON in the near future. It's been a few years since I've seen it and this thread of re-sparked my interest.

I remember MTB as a more consistent film, without the peaks and valleys (at least for me) of GR. MTB certainly had the better cast with the likes of Pitts, Durante, and Pearl.

Offline metaldams

Of the two, MEET THE BARON was better all around for me. I wonder if it was the same for you. I might need to re-watch MEET THE BARON in the near future. It's been a few years since I've seen it and this thread of re-sparked my interest.

I remember MTB as a more consistent film, without the peaks and valleys (at least for me) of GR. MTB certainly had the better cast with the likes of Pitts, Durante, and Pearl.

I was so tired yesterday I actually fell asleep trying to watch MTB.  Will give it another shot after the game tonight.   Monday's are bloody hell.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Well, I stayed awake this time, and I enjoyed MEET THE BARON.  One of those films that only could have been made in the early 30's, and it's probably the closest we'll ever see to the boys in a Paramount style Marx Brothers films.  Lots of quick dialogue, a nonsensical plot, and fun musical numbers.  The boys get decent screen time, and when they are not on, the rest of the cast is more than capable.  Glad I waited a while to see this one, it's nice to see some new Stooges and have it be worthwhile.

Oh, and the "tools we've been using for the last ten years bit," as I'm sure with several other routines, goes back to the Healy days, as evidenced in MEET THE BARON.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Offline metaldams

This likely falls under "fun musical number"

MEET THE BARON can only be made in the early 30's, and that's why.  A few years later that scene is not allowed to exist and when it is allowed to exist over 30 years later, the girls would have everything showing instead of being conveniently covered and there'd be rock music playing in the background.

By the way, I'm assuming that's the girls singing in the shower you posted.  I'm at work and can't look at you tube, but when I copy and paste the link you made to a google search, "Meet The Baron shower scene" shows up.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline garv

I found the MEET THE BARON/GOLD RAIDERS  DVD at Walgreens yesterday for $5.99.  They also had a copy of ALICE IN WONDERLAND (1933) with W.C. Fields as Humpty Dumpty for the same price.  I picked up both.
Read reviews, news, and features from the world of soused cinema at "Booze Movies: The 100 Proof Film Guide." http://boozemovies.blogspot.com/