Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Sam White, 99

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Sam White, brother of Jules White and Jack ("Preston Black") White has died at age 99. Mr. White produced and directed PEOPLE ARE FUNNY (1946), a Paramount comedy "documenting" the creation of the popular radio show. Joe DeRita costarred. http://threestooges.net/episode.php?id=372

From the August 8 Los Angeles Times...
http://www.legacy.com/latimes/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=18800000

WHITE, Sam
Sam White, of the famous White Brothers film and television pioneers, died on Saturday, August 5, at his Encino home. Born in Los Angeles on October 16, 1906 he was married to the late artist Claretta Ellis White for 65 years.

He directed numerous musical sequences in films of the forties, made six training films for the U.S. Armed forces in WWII, and produced and directed feature films for RKO, Columbia, Universal and Paramount Studios. In the next two decades he directed and produced commercials and early television series such as: PERRY MASON, OUTER LIMITS and MY FRIEND FLICKA. In 1969 he produced and directed WHITE COMANCHE with William Shatner and Joseph Cotten.

A successful businessman he had a production facility in Pioneer Town and commercial real estate ventures. Along with his famous brothers, Jack White and Jules White, his wall of honor at the Motion Picture and Television Home was dedicated in 2003. Interested in world affairs he traveled with the Directors Guild of America to cement relations between foreign and American filmmakers.

An oral history, The White Brothers was published by the Director's Guild of America in 1990. His daughter Steffani White died in 1974. He is survived by his other daughter, Sharleen Cooper Cohen; son in law Martin L. Cohen M.D., his two granddaughters, Dalisa Cooper Cohen and Cambria Gordon; her husband Howard Gordon. and three great grandchildren, Michah, Arlo and Capp Gordon. Funeral services will be held at Mount Sinai Memorial Park in Hollywood Hills at 11:00 a.m. In lieu of flowers, donations are requested for the National Gaucher Foundation, 61 General Early Drive, Harpers Ferry, West VA 25425.

Offline falsealarms

I didn't even know he was still around. But, man, the list of people with connections to the Stooges has to be dangerously short now.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
99...wow. He was lucky to lead a long, productive life. I hope he didn't suffer much at the end.

I feel sorry for him having outlived his daughter: every parent's worst nightmare.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown