Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

When Was the First "Fade - Out" Recorded?

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I have recently been checking out CDs from my public library, and the two that come to mind are "Chart-Toppers of the Forties" and "The Charleston Era", which boast many-a tune from that era, BUT also have definite beginning, middle and end parts of the song. Sifting through my Pilsner download collection, I came across the Louis Armstrong tune of "Christmas Night in Harlem" that actually has him in a "fade-out" style of song, rather than the direct beginning-middle-end style of music so prevalent in the 20's-30's-40's ... therefore my question to our most famous Pilsner Panther is ... Can you define the first use of the "fade-out at the end" style of song? For, as a 50s-60s-70s-etc song buff, the fade-out-at-the-end is the norm, so I'm curious as to its first use in the musical field.

And ... as General Patton once said ... Tanks!
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Pilsner Panther

Well, Giff, my opinion is that the first electrical fade-out was done on a 1932 or '33 Duke Ellington Brunswick recording called "Steamboat Shuffle."

Sorry to say, I don't have it in my collection, but I do remember what it sounds like at the end: the band goes into a repeated paddlewheel-like riff, while the engineer in the control booth slowly turns the gain controls on the recording mikes down, to simulate the sound of a steamboat vanishing in the distance. This is all done with the most primitive vacuum-tube recording studio technology, but it works very well.

I used to own the original 78, but I sold it.

[bonk]

Too bad, because I've never come across the side again on any CD compilation of the Duke's music (and there are hundreds).

Mr. Ellington was a very forward-looking individual; he also made some of the very first experimental— but real— stereo extended-play microgroove recordings with RCA Victor in 1931-32. I do have those, and I'll be posting them as part of my current Early Swing series. Coming up next, as a matter of fact!

Generally speaking, I don't like fade-outs, I'd rather that the music comes to a definite conclusion. Would Beethoven, Brahms, or Tchaikovsky have used a fade-out, even if the technology had been available to them?

Naww...

::)