Even Yankees Announcers Suck!

jrvass · 4 · 1602

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
A review:

http://www.thekidfrombrooklyn.com/video_disp.asp?videoid=1285

Any comments from the East Coast?

The Tigers had a couple of lame announcers after Paul Carey retired and Hall of Fame announcer Ernie Harwell was forced out by the Monaghan-Schembechler regime. That regime also sold the farm system's best prospects. A young minor-leaguer named John Smoltz to Atlanta for the last days of Doyle Alexander.  :'(

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline JazzBill

I'd have to say Chicago is in the running for worst announcers.  Look at all the years we had Harry Caray. After he got booted out of St. Louis, he ended up on the south side broadcasting for the Sox. Then he moved over to the north side and slobbered on the mike over there till he finally died. The Cubs really would of liked to have gotten rid of him but them Cub fans actually liked him. I heard that back in his drinking days, they literally had to carry him out of the broadcast booth when the game was over.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I don't get the Yankees radio broadcasts (not that I would listen to them anyway), but I have heard clips of their douche bag announcer going "THHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHE YANKEES WIN" and found it incredibly lame. Every announcer seems to need a gimmick of some sort, apparently. The Red Sox radio announcers have been with the team for awhile now, nothing like Harwell was with the Tigers but I'd say about 20 years or so, and they are really good. They tend to keep focused on the game (but wander off in a blow out like every other announcer) and don't have any stupid gimmick.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Shemoeley Fine

In my opinion one of the main reasons sports radio announcers are not as good as those from the past is the advent of TV. In the past radio announcers "painted a picture" of the occurences of the game as they viewed the game. Nowadays even radio announcers are using a monitor to call the game. The great baseball announcer Red Barber had a 3 minute egg timer he would continuely turn over to ensure he'd give the score all the time as persons are tuning in n out and in baseball the score is imperative to fully grasp what's going on.

Some of the best radio announcers...
Mel Allen
Red Barber
Chick Hearn
Marty Glick
Ernie Harwell
Jack Buck
Vin Scully
Russ Hodges
Felo Ramírez
Buck Canel
Curt Gowdy