Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

STOOGES STAMP,STAR

ZEKE · 11 · 3691

Offline ZEKE

There's talk of a THREE STOOGES stamp, whadya all think 'o' dat folks??
Do the BOYS have a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame?? If not why the fuck not!! ;D
ZEKE---in AJAX-(G.T.A.), Canada.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
1. There is another thread in which the prospect of a Three Stooges stamp is discussed. Please keep all stamp discussions to said thread.

2. Yes, they do have a star on the WOF. Besser attended the ceremony. I don't see what the big deal about having a star is, especially since it has to be for by the recipient.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline FineBari3

Atar on the WOF is not really a big deal, if you have the money to come up for it.

I thought I read somewhere that Moe had looked into it, and decided it wasn't worth it (or he was to thrifty.....notice I didn't say cheap!).

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

CURLYFAN

Yep the 3 Stooges have a star on the HWOF and Joe Besser was there and I do remember something he said. . .  .

"See those 4 clouds up there ..those are the boys"

I saw that on a 3 Stooges biogaphy on  TV a few years ago. . . .can't remember if it was 'The Biography Channel" or " a biography on A&E ???

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Here is an excerpt of what Besser said at the cerimony ... (I say excerpt because I'm quoting from "The Stoogephile Trivia Movie", and that is all this film presented of the cerimony). Besides Besser, Milton Berle, Adam West, Emil Sitka and others offered praises for the boys.

Oh, I'm not gonna say muuuuuch ...
But I noticed that there was one, two, three, four clouds up there. And you know who's looking down on all of you wonderful people? The boys, believe me. They loved every minute of it. We'll never forget 'em, and two of my years with them was one of the highlights of my career in show business. I love the boys. We had alot of fun, and I know you had alot of fun watching them. I'm not gonna say very much anymore, thanks a million for how wonderful you people are. You're wonderful, and we love you as much as you loved us.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Here is an excerpt of what Besser said at the cerimony ... (I say excerpt because I'm quoting from "The Stoogephile Trivia Movie", and that is all this film presented of the cerimony). Besides Besser, Milton Berle, Adam West, Emil Sitka and others offered praises for the boys.

Oh, I'm not gonna say muuuuuch ...
But I noticed that there was one, two, three, four clouds up there. And you know who's looking down on all of you wonderful people? The boys, believe me. They loved every minute of it. We'll never forget 'em, and two of my years with them was one of the highlights of my career in show business. I love the boys. We had alot of fun, and I know you had alot of fun watching them. I'm not gonna say very much anymore, thanks a million for how wonderful you people are. You're wonderful, and we love you as much as you loved us.

Say what you will about the fact that Besser did not make a very good Stooge, the man was a class act, and - in the right roles - a very fine actor and comedian.

Offline JazzBill

Say what you will about the fact that Besser did not make a very good Stooge, the man was a class act, and - in the right roles - a very fine actor and comedian.
I've never put the entire blame for the quality of the Besser shorts on Joe. By the time he came around, the Stooges were all old men. They had mostly all the same writers and staff they had for decades. Lets face it, the material was getting pretty stale. Hell,some of the bits were on their third time around, having previously been done by Curly and Shemp. So, I take the shorts for what they are. Better than nothing.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Here is a quote from a fellow Stooge lover named John Field (from another site) - he seems to have had an intimate relationship with Joe Besser in his latter years, and it seemed fit to post it here now.

(In reference to the last 2-reel short, "Sappy Bullfighters")
The last short with the boys. I can't help but wonder what type of film they might have made if they knew this was their swansong. Joe Besser told me that although he wanted to continue with the Stooges, his wife was fearful he might be accidentally hurt if he continued. The story given to Moe was that she needed him to care for her because of illness. He told my friend and myself in hushed tones: "She cost me Millions"! But it was not said in an upset way, it was more of an 'Oh Well' way! Joe was a terrific guy and I miss him greatly. I value that short time I knew him and his wife. And thanks to my friend Mark Lyons, I have a video tape record of one of our visits. Goodnight Moe, Larry, Curly, Shemp and Joe. And thanks for sharing your greatest gifts, the gifts of Laughter.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline nsybert

What episode and in what context did the stooges use the line

Dr. Windbag... I presume,   Well blow me down ??

Was it larry as the questioner and Moe as the Doctor ??

Any help appreciated

Norman ... Loyal Stooge in New Hampshire

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I agree with your comments completely, Bill.  I didn't mean to imply that you, personally, were disparaging Besser; I meant that as a general statement.

Offline JazzBill

I never thought your post was meant for me . I was agreeing with you about Joe. He gets blasted by a lot of people for the quality of the final Stooge shorts (me included). I compare the Stooges Besser years like that of sports star that stuck around a couple of years too long. He may of lost a step or two, and his skills have diminished a little, but it sure is nice to see him one last time.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".