Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Oh buddy boy....

Pilsner Panther

The head actually looks more like it's modeled on Curly Howard than Curly Joe. Still, that image is enough to give me nightmares for weeks!

Just when I thought "The Robonic Stooges" cartoon was the worst Stooge-related thing that I'd ever seen.

[faint]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Now you guys have really got my curiousity going!  Unfortunately, eBay is blocked here at work, so I'll have to wait until this evening to see this monstrosity (unless a fellow admin attaches a copy of the image.)   ;D

Pilsner Panther

Now you guys have really got my curiousity going!  Unfortunately, eBay is blocked here at work, so I'll have to wait until this evening to see this monstrosity (unless a fellow admin attaches a copy of the image.)   ;D

Hint, hint...

[twitch]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Oh my God, that is horrible!  What's even worse - it looks a bit like me!   :-\

My hair's a lot longer right now, since I haven't gone in for my semi-annual shearing yet, and my face isn't quite that full, but the large, round torso with the long, skinny arms and legs...   ::)

And - before anyone is insane even to ask - I am not going to put up a nude photo of myself for comparison.  [fear]
(You can all breathe a little easier now.  The nightmares will go away eventually...) [relieved]

Pilsner Panther

No matter how ugly it is, that figure should fetch a high price on eBay, since it belongs to a prominent collector who really can't bear to part with it.

He just needs the money to hire a good lawyer for Karl Rove.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Those dolls are pretty common and not at all very old, so this shouldn't go for a very high price. If my memory isn't failing me (and perhaps Brent or Gary can correct me if I'm wrong) the Derita dolls were available via mail order for a price and maybe proof of purchase of the other dolls? (Moe, Larry, Curly, Shemp...I don't think they made Besser dolls). They also came in various outfits like doctor, soldier, pajamas, etc.

If this Derita had clothes on and was MIB (Mint In Box) it could fetch alot more coin.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Bangsmith

• Citizen of Greater Stoogedom
  • Chucklehead
This is one of the more disturbing Stooge items I've ever seen on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Three-Stooges-Curly-Joe-7-Action-Figure-Loose-Nude_W0QQitemZ5999053414QQcategoryZ20921QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

:o
The head actually looks more like it's modeled on Curly Howard than Curly Joe. Still, that image is enough to give me nightmares for weeks!

Just when I thought "The Robonic Stooges" cartoon was the worst Stooge-related thing that I'd ever seen.

[faint]
[nuts] [nuts] [nuts] I'll be damned!!!
No matter how ugly it is, that figure should fetch a high price on eBay, since it belongs to a prominent collector who really can't bear to part with it.

He just needs the money to hire a good lawyer for Karl Rove.
[nuts] [nuts] [nuts] Now I've seen everything!!! So which one is the doll, anyway?
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do "suck seed"!!

Pilsner Panther

Uhh, I think this one's the doll, but don't quote me on that, I'm not positive.

Offline Bangsmith

• Citizen of Greater Stoogedom
  • Chucklehead
Now THAT'S a little more believable!! [rotfl] [rotfl] [rotfl]
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do "suck seed"!!

Offline Wild Hyacinth

• Jack of all trades,Master of none.
  • Grapehead
           I was up in New Hampshire not long ago and stoped at a gas station. When I went inside I discovered Three Stooges scratch tickets by the N.H. state lottery.They have 4 or 5 different pictures on them ,with the usual match your number deal,butthen there is a bonus box with cartoon figures of Moe,Larry,and Curly. You scratch there faces off and if you revile a pie you win $5 if you get three pies you win $50. I still don"t know what to think of this

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Those dolls are pretty common and not at all very old, so this shouldn't go for a very high price.

If this Derita had clothes on and was MIB (Mint In Box) it could fetch alot more coin.

One of many cheap products licensed by C3, this 1999 deal cranked out 35 different dolls... 5 Stooges (excl. Besser) @ 7 portrayals, e.g., doctor, soldier, etc. The manufacturer didn't go to any great lengths to create distinct molds for the Stooges, just slightly altering existing stock molds from other licensed characters. For example, the manufacturer used the same mold for its 'Shemp' and 'Dracula' dolls (a Universal Studios monster line of characters was marketed around the same time); the hair styling is about the only difference on these two dolls... package labeling took care of the rest.

A mass-marketed, low-quality product line.

These dolls are not considered highly collectible.  More and more show up in bargain bins, clothed and in the original box packaging, i.e., typical Salvation Army toy store fare. I don't know what this nude DeRita doll went for, but if it went for more than $1 dollar, the buyer overpaid. (FYI - the nude DeRita doll is worth more than the Bush guy in the jpg.)

Posted on: April 28, 2006, 10:31:46  by: Wild Hyacinth
I was up in New Hampshire not long ago and stoped at a gas station. When I went inside I discovered Three Stooges scratch tickets by the N.H. state lottery.They have 4 or 5 different pictures on them ,with the usual match your number deal,butthen there is a bonus box with cartoon figures of Moe,Larry,and Curly. You scratch there faces off and if you revile a pie you win $5 if you get three pies you win $50.

Stooges lottery tickets have been common in the past ten years. Other states that used the Stooges for lottery programs include Oregon, Maryland, Illinois and Virginia.

I still don"t know what to think of this

IMO, the lottery ticket licensing of the Stooges' likenesses is basically harmless, unless someone is so anti-gambling to find it offensive. In most cases, lottery revenues go toward good causes like State education and public welfare funds (or, they're supposed to...).

C3's licensing/marketing activities have crossed other good taste lines, much more deserving of an "I don't know what to think of this" comment. Some examples...

- "3 Stooges Hair Tonic"... dumb

- The Lamond branch of the Fine family marketed cigar products a couple years ago, and after C3's influence, the product line was dubbed "DeRita Cigars." The cigars were promoted in C3's marketing catalog and online store, mailed/accessible to fans of all ages... under-aged, juveniles and impressionable children.

- "Three Stooges Joke Toilet Paper"... not a demographic issue, just poor common sense & bad taste.

It all comes down to your personal point of view. If you approve, buy. If not, don't.

Jimmie Adams

I've reported this seller to eBay as a fraud.  It is not a Curly/Curly Joe action figure, it's a Chris Penn action figure.   ::)

Don't forget the Three Stooges whoppee cushion that came in a can of Stooge VHS videos in the early '90's.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The schwag I'll never forget were the Three Stooges lawn jockeys. I remember getting a catalog in the mail and there they were. They were officially called "garden ornaments" or some shit like that, but it was obvious to anyone with half a brain that these things were glorified lawn jockeys, the same size except they were white (of course) and were going for some rediculous price (a couple c-notes a piece if I remember correctly).

For those of you too young to remember lawn jockeys, they were these figures, typically made of cement and made to look like little black men dressed as jockey (racing horse rider) that people would display in their lawn/garden. They fell out of favor during the civil rights movement, but I remember my grandmother having one. The neighborhood kids would keep trashing the damn thing and she ended up painting it white.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Pilsner Panther

The schwag I'll never forget were the Three Stooges lawn jockeys. I remember getting a catalog in the mail and there they were. They were officially called "garden ornaments" or some shit like that, but it was obvious to anyone with half a brain that these things were glorified lawn jockeys, the same size except they were white (of course) and were going for some rediculous price (a couple c-notes a piece if I remember correctly).

For those of you too young to remember lawn jockeys, they were these figures, typically made of cement and made to look like little black men dressed as jockey (racing horse rider) that people would display in their lawn/garden. They fell out of favor during the civil rights movement, but I remember my grandmother having one. The neighborhood kids would keep trashing the damn thing and she ended up painting it white.

Lawn Jockeys! Well, here's one of my strangest stories, and I hadn't thought about it in (literally) decades. I had a great-aunt and great-uncle who owned a business that made these things, along a major highway in New Jersey. Actually, it was a lawn ornament store, where you could buy any kind of statue from the Virgin Mary to Cupid to the Harlequin to Groucho Marx, and the figures were all cast out of quick-drying cement, from rubber molds that were washed out and reused over and over again. It was usually up to the purchaser whether to paint the statues or not, since they all came in the same shade of concrete gray.

That is, the statues, not the purchasers.

Uncle and Auntie also sold antiques and old records (the tendency to collect those seems to run in the family). They had benches, swings, and other lawn equipment, too.

The Lawn Jockey was a big seller: really, a staple of their business. To my father's credit, he never owned one— the only decoration on his lawn was a tall flagpole flying Old Glory (always an untattered, unfaded, new flag, he was very careful about that).

Lawn Jockeys turn up in the weirdest places: I've seen them even in remote parts of Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. I suppose that some ancestor had traveled West— carrying his Lawn Jockey in a covered wagon— and was unable to part with it while jettisoning food, water, utensils, pack animals, wives, and children all along the way. Thus did the Lawn Jockeys arrive in the Golden West.

And, yes, most Lawn Jockeys had their faces repainted white after the Civil Rights movement of the 1960's put the "Darky" stereotype away for good. Some of them also had hollow right arms, so that the owner could run wires through it and make their lamps light up.

Here's a selection of the little buggers...

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

September 1978... back when SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE was a weekly "gotta-see-it," and grabbed viewers in much the same way as I LOVE LUCY did in the 1950s.  Saturday night's Theta Chi Fraternity party came to a semi-crawl, and the sound system was notched down a few decibels... because SNL with Murray, Belushi, Radner, Morris, Newman, Aykroyd, and Curtin, et. al., was on the party room's video system at 11:30PM.

The new season premiered Sept. 1978 with a filmed special, "What I Did on My Summer Vacation."  Each SNL cast member presented a film, depicting what they did over their 1978 summer hiatus. The BLUES BROTHERS spoof by Belushi and Aykroyd, which became the basis of a major motion picture in 1980, made its premiere on this TV special.

In spite of BLUES' subsequent legacy, the true comedy highlight of that show was Garrett Morris' film... spending his 1978 summer vacation posing for lawn jockey sculptures.  Granted... 100+ drunk/high/horny fraternity & sorority college kids would have found most anything funny.  But that night, Morris' lawn jockey film brought an entire college party to a standstill, and hysterics!

A documentary-style short film featuring actual bigoted middle-Americans... in spite of the context where I first saw it, 30 years later it remains one of the funniest satires I have ever seen!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Pils, that Union Soldier jockey is a riot. It's interesting to see the jockeys that were originally intended to be white as I've never come across one before. I found some cool lawn jockey pics (with some different variations) on eBay and will be posting the pics in the Black Americana thread, but I'm on the lookout for a good pic of a black jockey painted white. You wouldn't have one, would you?

Brent, I used to watch the old SNL reruns from when it was actually good and do remember the lawn jockey skit. What's funny is that we seem to be taking a step back as a nation as there is no way in Hell that they would get away with doing something like that today without getting cancelled. The skits Morris and later on Eddie Murphy did like that one would never get passed the self-appointed Moral PC Police, not to mention that they don't have actors talented enough to pull something like that off anymore.

Offline JazzBill

Uhh, I think this one's the doll, but don't quote me on that, I'm not positive.

Is the guy in the tux supposed to be Rush Limbaugh?  It sure looks like him .
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It can't be, he doesn't come with the "illegally obtained prescriptions" accessory.

Pilsner Panther

Pils, that Union Soldier jockey is a riot. It's interesting to see the jockeys that were originally intended to be white as I've never come across one before. I found some cool lawn jockey pics (with some different variations) on eBay and will be posting the pics in the Black Americana thread, but I'm on the lookout for a good pic of a black jockey painted white. You wouldn't have one, would you?

No, those are the only lawn jockey pics I've got. You should try a Google Image Search, that's probably the best way to turn something like that up.