Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Pilsner's Picks Problem Notice

Guest · 5 · 1278

Pilsner Panther

Just a notice here: I'm going to have to put this on the main board because the Pilsner's Picks change text function isn't working. There's a new track up today, the Waring's Pennsylvanians and James P. Johnson MP3's have been retired.

I don't know if that Mingus track even got posted in one piece, or whether the problem is with the site or with my PC. I can't even find the usual Hispanic day-laborer on the corner to fix the damn thing, anyway. Even the lawn jockey's gone, he walked off muttering something in Spanish about being sick and tired of holding up that lantern all day for $4.25 an hour.

You just can't get decent help these days!

But then, it could be my mother, fooling around with that Voodoo doll and those pins again.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
"When will they ever learn?  Plunder BEFORE you burn!"

I suspect I know what the problem is, Pils - you deleted files before you changed the Pick of the Week again, didn't you?  (Papa's gonna have to smack your fingers for that, as soon as I get my steel ruler back from Sister Mary Elizabeth.)   ;D

Unfortunately, I can't fix it right now; it will have to wait until I get home tonight.

Pilsner Panther

"When will they ever learn?  Plunder BEFORE you burn!"

I suspect I know what the problem is, Pils - you deleted files before you changed the Pick of the Week again, didn't you?  (Papa's gonna have to smack your fingers for that, as soon as I get my steel ruler back from Sister Mary Elizabeth.)   ;D

Unfortunately, I can't fix it right now; it will have to wait until I get home tonight.

Rob, you know what a technical putz I am, but I still don't see why I shouldn't delete the old files before posting new ones. To me, that's logical: it's exactly like wiping a blackboard clean before you write something new on it.

I suppose it could be a difference in ideas of design. I once had to use a Unix-based word processing program called FrameMaker, and the way it worked damn near gave me a stroke. It didn't look at pages as actual, physical objects, the way I was trained to compose pages in the pre-computer, mechanical pasteup era; instead, the copy would spill over from one page to the next, which made me feel like Dudley Dickerson in the kitchen: "Dis house has sho' gone crazy!"

Yet, thousands of people use the %#*&!!! screwy thing with no problems at all. For me, though, it was like suddenly waking up in England and having to drive on the opposite side of the road, with no preparation for it.

Anyway, there's no rush, get around to fixing my glitch when you can. Mother's Day is still a few days off (ducks and covers).

[yikes]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Rob, you know what a technical putz I am, but I still don't see why I shouldn't delete the old files before posting new ones. To me, that's logical: it's exactly like wiping a blackboard clean before you write something new on it.

Because when you delete the files before you change the Pick of the Week, the database gets confused.  It knows that there should be a file there, but the file it was told to look for has mysteriously disappeared.  The problem is with your blackboard thinking; you should be thinking of a library instead, and the librarian is running around like a chicken with its head cut off because the reference book that is was on the shelf a second ago has suddenly gone missing.

That being said, I have taken old-fashioned "chalky" thinking into account, and now even if you do delete the old files first the script should still let you see the links to make changes, and it won't try to display a download link for a file that isn't really there.   ;D

Pilsner Panther

Thanks, Rob. Between a confused database and confused me, you've got twice as much confusion. I'll go back now and try to update the notes and everything else.