Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Best episodes

Offline Malison_Howard

Im on a search to buy funny episodes that Shemp played in with Moe and Larry. What episodes did you think was funny? Besides Moe, Shemp is my favorite stooge :)
Please come to my Three Stooges Message Board! We need members really bad since its new.

http://s8.invisionfree.com/Stooge_Message_Board

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here's proof that the "No Child Left Behind Act" is a bust.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Malison_Howard

Thanks! I think I heard of that one before ;)
Please come to my Three Stooges Message Board! We need members really bad since its new.

http://s8.invisionfree.com/Stooge_Message_Board

Offline scribe8585

Sarcasm aside, "Pop Goes the Easel" is probably my personal favorite. I love the early episodes, especially from 34-36.

Pilsner Panther

Sarcasm aside, "Pop Goes the Easel" is probably my personal favorite. I love the early episodes, especially from 34-36.

I'm a big fan of the early shorts myself, but some of the late ones with Shemp (like "Scrambled Brains," "Dopey Dicks," and "Goof On the Roof") equal them for sheer craziness.

My favorite moment in "Pop Goes the Easel" is when Curly has artist's model Phyllis Crane stand on her head, and then draws an upside-down picture of a boat for her. He does a perfect job of it, too!

;D

Offline scribe8585

That's a good moment as well, but I like the scene where they say "look at the grouse," though I'm not sure I'm spelling "grouse" right.

As in "Men in Black," there's a GREAT close up of Curly doing his "nyuk nyuk nyuk," and I don't think we get such good shots of him doing that in later films.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 10:13:53 AM by scribe8585 »

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
A couple of my favorite moments come from Men in Black:
  • Larry learing at the nurse/receptionist while Moe and Curly are arguing by the message board   ;D
  • In the operating scene, Larry runs his finger along a butcher knife and says (with a maniacal look on his face), "Let's pluck 'im, and see if he's ripe!"   >:D

Offline Robbie883

Ha Ha, Dunrobin those were my favorite parts too in Men In Black lol. I also liked when they went back to Dr. Graves office and Graves was asking them what they did for the patient in room 66 and Larry said, " NOTHIN, WHAT DID HE EVER DO FOR US!" lol  I also like "Three Little Pigskins" where Moe explains to Curley and Larry how to play football, he says "Its easy tackle the person with the ball" and then Curley and Larry tackle the ref. lol

Offline Waldo Twitchell

A favorite moment from Brideless Groom:

Justice of the Peace (Emil Sitka) freaking out about his piano and Larry telling him to shut up
as he and Moe attempt to untangle Shemp from the wires.

And, one from Boobs In Arms:

Curly's brief routine with the rifle when Sergeant Dare (Richard Fiske) barks orders at them. Truly inspired lunacy, and I've often wondered if he ad-libbed this bit.

I guess that my handle here says it all.  I know that they will run through the glass door and I still laugh.  My patient wife just sighs. 

Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard!!!!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
My favorite has to be the "Cousin Basil" bit from Brideless Groom where Christine McIntyre beats the tar out of Shemp.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

I read where one of those "punches" that Christine threw actually did connect. 

Pilsner Panther

I read where one of those "punches" that Christine threw actually did connect. 

When Christine nails Shemp with a hard right and knocks him backwards right through the closed door, that punch sure looks like it connects... either that or it's some brilliant stunt work by both of them.

Personally— as pretty and feminine as she was— I wouldn't have wanted to get into a fight with Ms. McIntyre! I think I might have lost.

That brings another great scene to mind, the one in "Three Pests In A Mess" where Christine throws a glass inkwell across the room and scores a direct hit on Moe's forehead, when he's just walked in the door.

:D :D :D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 10:47:15 PM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline metaldams

The maze of pipes from A PLUMBING WE WILL GO is my favorite.  Curly's body language and facial expressions are so nuanced it's pure genius.

I also have a soft spot in my heart for the sweater scene in HOW HIGH IS UP.  That's probably the best example of Moe, Larry, and Curly working together.

- Doug Sarnecky

A Plumbing We Will Go:  The scene where Curly runs the high society fellow out of the bathroom.  The man pronounced the word "bath" as "bawth".  To his dying day my dad would always say to Mom, "Marie, I'm gonna go take a bawth."

Offline Baggie

I have too many favourite moments to think of just one, but talking about "A-Plumbing We Will Go," I love Larry's ad-lib with the corset, and in "Vagabond Loafers," when Shemp interupts Emil Sitka in the shower, and Emil asks Shemp, 'Who are you??' and Shemp laughs as if it's a really dumb question and says 'I'm the plumber, who do you think I am?'
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline shempheadbat

In "plumbing", when Curly comes tearing out of the basement ("UP! To the basement!"), knocks the matron into the butler, and says slyly, "Don't mind me, I'm just the plumber!"... and his remark about the fleeing 'bawther', "oh, left over from new year's, eh?" (I guess regarding his 'pinkness' I dunno...) yeah, and Larry explainung the garters to Moe, "You swing on 'em, y'know?"  Wasn't that kind of a double-entendre?  ;) For my money, the weirdest is the greatest, though.  I speak of my all time fave, "Coo-Coo on a Choo-Choo"! That is one of the most disturbing pieces of film ever conceived.  Larry and the horrible sandwich, covered in beer;  Shemp's psychedelic alcoholism, and his inexplicable attractiveness; stealing a train car in the first place (?!), this short has it all!  And it is great to see Larry in a leading man role, such as it is...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 03:19:18 AM by shempheadbat »

Offline Baggie

I desperately need to get hold of 'Cuckoo On A Choo Choo.' Anyone got a copy for me? I like it too when Moe slips over in the basement, then just gets up as if nothing happened. That's funny

Offline shempheadbat

Me too, I have most of the episodes but not "ChooChoo", and they never show it on the teevee (is C3 embarrassed?)... and didn't moe look hurt when he got up (in "Plumbing")?? It didn't look planned...

Offline Robbie883

My favorite part in Brideless Groom is when Christine Macentire is wailing on Shemp and Larry says "Boy those kisses are gettin louder!" :D

Offline Baggie

I'm surprised they didn't crack up when that happened, it was well funny. I think the one most Stooge collectors crave is 'Self Made Maids.' God, I'd love that short, damn Columbia for not bringing it out.

Curly shaving the block of ice, and I forget the title.  All I know is that every single time I've watched this scene I break out into uncontrollable fits of giggling.  This, to me, was Curly at his best.  I neither know, nor care, if he was adlibbing.  Either way, it was great.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Curly shaving the block of ice, and I forget the title. All I know is that every single time I've watched this scene I break out into uncontrollable fits of giggling. This, to me, was Curly at his best. I neither know, nor care, if he was adlibbing. Either way, it was great.

You're thinking of AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE, Duty; and you're right - Curly's great in that scene!

Offline kinderscenen

I have to say that the worst Stooge short is one of my all-time favorites,"Cuckoo on a Choo Choo".  It sort of makes you wonder just what they put in that water cooler at the shorts department. :D But the oddness of Shemp being the object of romantic attention; his visions of "Birdie"; the fact that the short takes place on what was probably the smallest ever area used in a film....all those strange bits add up for sheer hilarity!

Another favorite is "Idiots DeLuxe"--the scene where Moe sticks his head out of the window combined with the sound effect of a growling bear and a clunk on the head never fails to induce tear-shedding laughter.

Also, one of the funniest "throwaway" lines was in "The Pest Man Wins", when Larry was trying to steal silverware, and the butler catches him.

"You forgot these. Looks like we're in the same racket, bud."
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline goofontheroof

Goof On The Roof is one of my favourites involving Shemp. I love the bit where larry trips over the hose and goes head over heels!