Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Misnamed Band?

Guest · 13 · 2789

Pilsner Panther

Maybe this belongs in "Nitpicker's Corner," but in the description of the film "Varsity Show," there's a reference to "Waring's Philadelphians."

Fred Waring's band was known from its beginnings (around 1924) as the Pennsylvanians, not the Philadelphians. The Waring brothers (Fred and Tom) both attended the University of Pennsylvania, that's why. The Pennsylvanians made some of the first electrical recordings for the Victor Talking Machine Company in 1925 and '26, and those early electrical 78's still sound remarkably good by modern standards. They were a major improvement over the older acoustical recordings, the recording method invented by Thomas Edison in 1878.

Edison— always stubborn and determined to go his own way— stuck with acoustical recording until the late 20's, by which time Victor and Columbia's better-sounding records had passed him by in sales. When the Edison company finally gave in and switched to the new process, it was too late; the Depression was right around the corner, and that finished Edison Records off for good.

By the mid-30's, the Fred Waring Orchestra had become a pop outfit like Guy Lombardo's or Lawrence Welk's, but in the 20's, they were a genuine hot jazz band.

If the name sounds familiar, that's because Fred Waring invented and marketed a product that's still around today— the Waring Blendor.

Now I know what the next Pilsner's Picks segment is going to be...

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Waring Blender ... hhmmm ... I remember that name in a song lyric somewhere, but I can't place it.

Something-er-other like a Waring Blender ... I think it was a country-western song with a female singer like Linda Ronstadt.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Maybe this belongs in "Nitpicker's Corner"

It does not. It belongs in "Something Brent Typed With a Couple Drinks Under His Belt Corner."  Yes, I'm aware it's Pennsylvanians, growing up in a small town a few miles from Shawnee Resort, which was Waring's Pocono resort from the 1940s - 1970s.  I'm from an era where my parents, aunts and uncles thought a great concert was driving across the Delaware River to see Waring & the Pennsylvanians perform at Bangor High School's auditorium.

Pilsner Panther

It does not. It belongs in "Something Brent Typed With a Couple Drinks Under His Belt Corner."  Yes, I'm aware it's Pennsylvanians, growing up in a small town a few miles from Shawnee Resort, which was Waring's Pocono resort from the 1940s - 1970s.  I'm from an era where my parents, aunts and uncles thought a great concert was driving across the Delaware River to see Waring & the Pennsylvanians perform at Bangor High School's auditorium.

You mean I caught you in a blooper, Brent? That's a first! But your little mistake did give me the idea for next Picks: an all-Waring's Pennsylvanians segment, but I'm going to stick to to their early, jazzier sides rather than the later schmaltzy stuff.

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream..."

;D

Offline FineBari3

Maybe this belongs in "Nitpicker's Corner," but in the description of the film "Varsity Show," there's a reference to "Waring's Philadelphians."

I recall seeing one of the films that the Glenn Miller Orchestra was in and they called him Gene Morrison....so they could use the GM music pillars. I want to say it was in Sun Valley Serenade, but not sure.

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline FineBari3

You mean I caught you in a blooper, Brent? That's a first! But your little mistake did give me the idea for next Picks: an all-Waring's Pennsylvanians segment, but I'm going to stick to to their early, jazzier sides rather than the later schmaltzy stuff.

Oh THANK YOU! I can't stand that sweet band crap!

Swing it!
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
It does not. It belongs in "Something Brent Typed With a Couple Drinks Under His Belt Corner."

Or, to quote Lisa Douglas on Green Acres: "Oliver!  You're shtoned again!" [cheers]

Pilsner Panther

Oh THANK YOU! I can't stand that sweet band crap!

Swing it!

Note to self: program a sweet band segment for the near future.

>:D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dog Hambone

Giff

The song you refer to in your post of 4-13 was "Poor Poor Pitiful Me", a Warren Zevon song that Linda Ronstadt covered.

On the original subject, Fred Waring & The Pennsylvanians made a Christmas album. Side One is mostly comedy stuff. Side Two was standard Christmas carols. My parents used to play it every year at Christmas time. The comedy stuff still cracks me up, although my wife (who never heard it before she met me) doesn't seem to get it.   

Offline FineBari3

When I used to guest on WDUQ on my friends' radio show, the one man would always play Jan Garber. YUK!

Ahhh....loved the pic of Lawrence Welk! BTW, his infamous "bubble machine" was invented in Pittsboigh, at the Willliam Penn Hotel. It's still there, too!
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
I once fell asleep to a PBS show, and woke up to Lawrence Welk featuring Myron Floren on the accordian.

I thought I had died and gone to Hell.

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I once fell asleep to a PBS show, and woke up to Lawrence Welk featuring Myron Floren on the accordian.

I thought I had died and gone to Hell.

James

There a short Night Gallery skit where John Astin is a dead hippie sent to Hell, trapped in a room with an old couple continuously showing vacation slides, and Lawrence Welk type music playing in the background all the time.

[fear] 

Pilsner Panther

I remember that "Night Gallery" episode, especially this exchange:

Astin: "That's really a bummer, man, the Beatles breaking up."

Old Farmer: "A'yup. We used sulfur on the beetles last year."

Just why I remember that, who knows?