Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Blind Mice composer question

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Any esteemed member know if Three Blind Mice has become pubic domain or is Chauncey Morehouse considered the composer?  I convinced my band mates to do a Latin jazz-salsa version of it for an upcoming gig in August and the festival we're playing will be recording us, hence the need to know about publishing rights, if any.

I hope to get inspired enough to write some lyrics to it and include the names of the 4 principals, I might even be able to work in some titles or famous quotes of the boys into the lyrics, partially espaƱol, partially English.

S F
Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I've never heard of anyone being credited as the composer for Three Blind Mice; every reference I can find shows it as just "Traditional."  Since the nursery rhyme dates from the 16th century, I'm pretty sure it's "public domain" (which would also explain why Columbia would use it for a Stooges theme.)

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
The definition of "tradtional music" (as offered by Wikipedia) is as follows:

Folk music, in the original sense of the term, is music by and of the common people. Folk music is somewhat synonymous with Traditional music. Both terms are used semi-interchangeably amongst the general population ...

So, I'm willing to bet along with Dunrobin that the tune is safely in the public domain.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.