Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Get out the bug spray?

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Here is a typical example of what I see every time I log on to this hallowed site:
Currently Online: 13 Spiders, 5 Guests, 1 User (the one user, of course, is ME!)
BUT ... the 13 spiders consist of:
Yahoo! Slurp (11), MediaPartners-Google, MSNBot

Now ... since Dunrobin saw fit to display these creatures as online at our site ... WHY?
Why the HELL would Yahoo! (slurp?) want to be online at ThreeStooges.net 11 times at the same time?
And what'the hell is a SPIDER anyway? (and why do they want to know what I'm saying about Shemp or Moe? ... hhmmm ...)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Wassamatter?  Got a touch of arachnophobia?   >:D

"Spiders" in this sense are web-bots, automated programs that surf the Internet and index every page on the web for the Internet search engines.  Without them doing their job, surfing the web would be more like groping around a strange room in the dark.

Pilsner Panther

Wassamatter?  Got a touch of arachnophobia?   >:D

"Spiders" in this sense are web-bots, automated programs that surf the Internet and index every page on the web for the Internet search engines.  Without them doing their job, surfing the web would be more like groping around a strange room in the dark.

The only arachnid around here at the moment arrived in a bunch of bananas from Cuba. Well, the customs inspectors can't catch everything.

::)

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Okay, so these spiders are "friendly" ... but why should some of them call themselves "SLURP"? It sounds like our site is being violated.           (eeewwww!)   [confused2]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Okay, so these spiders are "friendly" ... but why should some of them call themselves "SLURP"? It sounds like our site is being violated.           (eeewwww!)   [confused2]

Now there you've got me - I have no idea why Yahoo keeps SLURPing this site, and I don't know what SLURP is supposed to stand for.  Somehow, I don't think that I want to know, either.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Currently online
9 Spiders, 9 Guests, 3 Users
Bangsmith, Dunrobin, metaldams

Okay, next question ... now the currently online list doesn't include me. It only lists 3 users (including yourself) and omits me. I know I am logged on, because I"m posting and it lists my username as the poster. Have you been diddling with this part of the website, Dunrobin?

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Currently online
9 Spiders, 9 Guests, 3 Users
Bangsmith, Dunrobin, metaldams

Okay, next question ... now the currently online list doesn't include me. It only lists 3 users (including yourself) and omits me. I know I am logged on, because I"m posting and it lists my username as the poster. Have you been diddling with this part of the website, Dunrobin?

I'm not sure.  Maybe you're not really you.  I mean, think about it: how do you know that you are really you?  You could just be a figment of your own imagination.
 :o

I checked your settings, because I thought you might be "hidden" (meaning only the Admins would see you listed as being online), but you've got the box checked in your profile to share your online status so that can't be it.  And your "cookies" settings must be ok, or you wouldn't be able to stay logged in.

I have to fall back on my original hypothesis - you're just a figment of your imagination, and you don't really exist.  Consequently you couldn't have written that last post, and therefore I'm not really responding to it and you're not really reading this.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
You know, it must be that I took Nytol and NoDoz at the same time last night ... I had a dream that I couldn't sleep. [faint]

Maybe I'm considered a "guest" now ... ? OR ... all I have to do is imagine myself back into existence.
 [salame]

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Eureka! (you don't smell so good yerself)
I know the problem! I just noticed that while I am online and posting and all, the little icon above my avatar says that I am currently OFFLINE. (not online as it should)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Eureka! (you don't smell so good yerself)
I know the problem! I just noticed that while I am online and posting and all, the little icon above my avatar says that I am currently OFFLINE. (not online as it should)

See?  I told you that you aren't really there!   :D

(And don't go trying to pretend that you are real, 'cause we know better now!) 

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Matching my IP address with the "who's online" list, apparently I am now a "guest". Perhaps I'll have to re-register before being shown as a "user" ever again. Or maybe ... hhhmmm ... I have my cable modem plugged into a router, maybe the IP has changed due to plugging into a different port on the router and that's why I am now a guest. Its worth a try, anyway.
I went into the admin center and looked up the Members List, and it showed that the last time I was online was today ... but I'm still shown as being offline while viewing the site. Strange happenings, I tell ya!

I will now return to the nether world ...  [suspect]  (muhwahahahaha)
([sniff] I wanna use with youz guys!)

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I don't understand it, but I logged out and then back in again, and voila! ... I am no longer a vaporous apparition. Its nice to be back in the world of the semi-living.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
How often do you reload a page? Every x days, whenever you push the button, or every visit?

When I did website work I had to set the page reload default to every visit. Otherwise a recent change may not be "there".

Could this be your problem, Giff?

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
jrvass ...
I was under the assumption that (as an administrator) [or maybe just as a matter of consequence] that I was able to remain online "forever", a choice given to me by the website software, (i.e., not be required to login on occasion), and as such, I did not feel compelled to attempt what you spoke of.
I only reload a page when I want to see if anyone has responded to a certain post (mine, or perhaps another), and even so, reloading a page does not neccessarilly mean that I re-logon to a site, what it means is that I want to see an updated view of the page I am viewing.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Hmm - that is a little weird.  It almost sounds like the cookies on your computer either didn't save correctly or got partially deleted.  I didn't really think that was the problem, though, since you said that you could reply to posts.  In fairness to the authors of the forums system we use, it is a "Release Canidate" and not a "Full Release" (which gives a handy out when something goofy like that happens, not that it couldn't happen under a "full" release.) 

Well, live and learn, as my mother used to always say; if anyone starts getting a weird situation like that, try logging out and then logging back in again.

How often do you reload a page? Every x days, whenever you push the button, or every visit?

When I did website work I had to set the page reload default to every visit. Otherwise a recent change may not be "there".

Could this be your problem, Giff?

James

Good catch, James; that's also a possible cause for a problem like that.

What he is talking about, Giff, is the browser's cache.  When you view web pages, your browser stores a temporary copy on your machine, so it will reload faster if you to back to it (very handy for a slow connection.)  You can set your browser to request a new copy every time you go to a page, or only so often as the browser thinks necessary, etc.  With dynamic sites like ours (and most others, these days), it's better to have your browser ask for a fresh copy from the server every time you go to a page, so you'll get the latest, most up-to-date info.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Thanks Dunrobin.

I can't tell you how many times I did a  ??? WTF  ??? after I uploaded a webpage and didn't see the changes. It's now one of the settings I always change whenever I get a new PC (like changing the "Recently Files Used" list from 4 to 9).

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
The Spider "problem" is getting worse, Giff!  I just updated the Who's Online page to show them seperately.   >:D

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
The Spider "problem" is getting worse, Giff!  I just updated the Who's Online page to show them seperately.

I TOLD you ... Who is NOT online, Who's on first!
[nyuk, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk ... (slap!) Oooohhh!!]