Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Colorized DVD's

Poll

What is your opinion on the colorized DVD's?

Color looked good, money well spent, and would buy more
14 (35%)
Color looked good, but not worth the money and wouldn't buy more
8 (20%)
Color was awful, would not buy more
0 (0%)
Shorts have no business being in color, haven't bought any nor will I
15 (37.5%)
Haven't gotten any yet, but I am curious
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Offline 3Stooges

Don't be surprized if Sony/Columbia releases more colorized DVD's. Why do I say that? Because, if you remember, Sony was doing a poll on their website asking fans to choose what shorts they'd like to see on the next release. This was a couple months ago. The selection was kind of rigged because you couldn't pick any Joe Bessers or the later Shemps. It was just a list of the same shorts that were released on VHS MINUS the newly colorized ones.

Around this time I got an email from WEST WING STUDIOS (The people who did the coloring on the original 2 DVD's) informing me about the Sony poll. They said something like "Hi, check out the Sony website to select which shorts will be COLORIZED NEXT". They included the link to the poll.

So, that's why I expect to see more coloring. I guess I'm in the minority, because I think they were colorized tastefully. I enjoy them, as long as they keep the option of watch in B&W for the fans who prefer it.

I just dont like that they put so few shorts on a DVD and I dont like that they keep ignoring Joe Besser. Not one Besser release??!!! It wouldnt kill them to release one.

I think a good Stooge DVD release would be 3 Curly's, 2 Shemps and 1 Besser. It will NEVER happen!

Nojaa

I was just wondering how many people here have any of the colorized DVD's and what they thought about them. I bought STOOGED AND CONFOOSED for the GF, and we both agreed that the Color was well done, but due to the small number of shorts per disc and the high price ($25 sugg. retail) they are not worth collecting.

I am proud to say that the discs I own are the original black and white versions.  While I'm sure the color versions were well done, these shorts were made in the original b/w, and colorizing them takes some of the history and nostalgia away from them.  I think today's viewing public is high on color programs and can't stand the sight of something in the original black and white.

Nojaa.

Offline Peter

Hi,
I received the three new DVD's from Fox yesterday ("The Three Stooges In Color", "Snow White & The Three Stooges" and "Soup To Nuts".
The first and last titles were advertised as being Colorized (Snow White was made in colour).
Imagine my disappointment when on playing "Soup To Nuts" I discovered that it was in Black & White only (unless the colour version is a hidden Easter Egg).
The pictures on the box are all in colour and the write-up on the back clearly says 'color'.
Has anyone else bought this DVD and if so, was it in colour of Black & White?

Regards,
Peter

Offline Peter

Hi,
I wrote to Westwing Studios recently - this is my email to them and their reply:Hi,

"I wonder if you could tell me which Three Stooges films you are planning on colorizing next?

Regards,
Peter"

"Peter,

While I cannot give you the names of the stooges there will be about 24 volumes of 4 episodes each released starting next year sometime over 18 months.

Vivek"

So that sounds like good news - wish I knew which films would be included.

Regards,
Peter

xraffle

Westwing Studios is wasting their time and Sony is wasting their money. This colorizing nonsense has to stop. It was interesting the first time they did it because it was something new, but now it's sickening.

Pilsner Panther

Westwing Studios is wasting their time and Sony is wasting their money. This colorizing nonsense has to stop. It was interesting the first time they did it because it was something new, but now it's sickening.

Absolutely, it should stop. I don't see why it is that so many younger people (under 30?) don't want to watch black and white films... too jaded, I guess. If I had the time, I'd sign on for teaching a film course at a college, on B & W cinematography. It's an art form all its own, and even if it's not appreciated as much as it should be, that's no reason to ruin it for future generations. Keep in mind that it's come and gone out of fashion many times over the decades, as everything will if it's around long enough. The same is true of the silents; I go to this event every year, I'm a minor financial supporter of it, and there's always a packed house for the old classics (especially the comedies).

http://www.silentfilm.org/

Everybody here, if you care about film history at all, write or e-mail Westwing Studios and Sony and tell them that they're stepping all over and disrespecting the Stooges' legacy, not to mention that of all the great people who wrote, directed, edited, and especially photographed their comedy.

Above all, don't buy the colorized DVD's, unless you find them on sale for dirt cheap in the cutout bin at your local video store... which will happen sooner or later, and you can trust me on that.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 09:32:11 PM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

Absolutely, it should stop. I don't see why it is that so many younger people (under 30?) don't want to watch black and white films... too jaded, I guess. If I had the time, I'd sign on for teaching a film course at a college, on B & W cinematography. It's an art form all its own, and even if it's not appreciated as much as it should be, that's no reason to ruin it for future generations. Keep in mind that it's come and gone out of fashion many times over the decades, as everything will if it's around long enough. The same is true of the silents; I go to this event every year, I'm a minor financial supporter of it, and there's always a packed house for the old classics (especially the comedies).

http://www.silentfilm.org/

Everybody here, if you care about film history at all, write or e-mail Westwing Studios and Sony and tell them that they're stepping all over and disrespecting the Stooges' legacy, not to mention that of all the great people who wrote, directed, edited, and especially photographed their comedy.

Above all, don't buy the colorized DVD's, unless you find them on sale for dirt cheap in the cutout bin at your local video store... which will happen sooner or later, and you can trust me on that.

Personally, I don't think it's such a big deal.  If enough people want to watch the Stooges in color, and are willing to shell out the money for it, then Sony would be stupid not to cater to that market.

If you don't like the colorized versions of the Stooges, don't buy them.  If the sales stink on ice, they'll soon dump that idea.  Unless they are the world's biggest idots, Sony will eventually go back to releasing the Stooges in B&W, as long as they percieve the chance that people will buy them.

It's called freedom of choice.  That's real "democracy," because you decide either way - it's your money.  That's going to make far more of an impact then letters will have.

Offline Hammond Eggar

It just seems that all that time and money could be better spent on releasing new titles to DVD, with better packaging and in better order.  It's a waste of time to be consentrating on the colorization of the Stooges shorts.  Along with the shorts, I was disappointed to read that the DVD of "Soup to Nuts" contained a colorized version.  I just read, however, that it actually is NOT colorized.  Can someone please confirm this for me.  I am confused.

As for the shorts, I'd like to see them released in a fashion similar to seasons of TV shows.  I'd like to see these shorts in chronological order, starting with "Women Haters" and ending with "Sappy Bullfighters."  These could be either single or multi-disc sets, with each grouped by years.  For example, the first set could cover 1934 and 1935.  Of course, I'd want the shorts in the original B&W.  They could release them in both, as is being done with the upcoming release of season one of "Bewitched."  I really believe that, while this might not appeal to the general public, there are enough Stooges fans out there who would support this.  Most of us want to see the release of all 190 shorts.  The recent focus on colorization stands as another reminder of how out-of-touch Columbia is.  The company could do so much more, but, as always, chooses to do the bare minimum.  I have really lost a lot of respect for Columbia.  The production company needs to get it's act together.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline garystooge

I was disappointed to read that the DVD of "Soup to Nuts" contained a colorized version.  I just read, however, that it actually is NOT colorized.  Can someone please confirm this for me.  I am confused

The "Soup to Nuts" DVD is NOT colorized. Everyone assumed it would be because all the pre-release photos of the packaging showed the Stooges in color and because Fox was simultaneously releasing colorized versions of the 4 PD shorts. Why all the packaging for "Soup" is in color is unclear, but it's totally misleading. The good news is that the DVD contains the "exit music" that AMC used to chop off when they aired it. This is about a minute of music which plays over a black screen after the end of the film.  The exit music was one of the great discoveries we made when the fan club paid to have a print made of this film, which at the time (1990) was thought to be a "lost" film, but that's a whole other story.

BTW, nice to have you back Hammond.
Gary

Offline Hammond Eggar

Thanks for the information, Gary.  I actually attended the fan club convention in 1991.  It was a great thrill to finally see "Soup to Nuts."  That was 14 years ago, so I'm having trouble remembering the exit music.  I am so glad that it is included on the DVD.  I can't wait to get my copy. 
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

xraffle

What's weird is that all the pictures on the cover of the "Soup To Nuts" DVD are in color. Also, the bottom of the back cover says that the movie is in color. That's very odd.

Offline Laughing Gravy

Has there been any info at all about further Stooges DVDs? I know the colorized crap tanked, but does that mean Sony/Columbia isn't going to release any further DVDs? That's crazy. I note that they're releasing a 2-DVD set with all ten of the Columbia shorts starring Buster Keaton (made 1939-1941) this spring; I never would've believed that anybody at Sony even knew they existed, let alone would open the vaults to them.

Incidentally, I did a review a little while back of all of the Columbia Stooges DVDs at my website, In The Balcony (www.inthebalcony.com). Feel free to peruse it.

Offline locoboymakesgood

In a nutshell, much to almost everyone's hope, the colorized discs tanked.. and basically, the way everyone here on the board has seen it, is that Columbia feels since those colorized monstrocities tanked that future discs won't sell either. Pointless, yes. And now with Blu-ray debuting this year, all of Sony's attention is focused on that. Future discs (which really won't be anything really anyway of they do come out.. I own all of them and towards the last few discs released, they released fewer and fewer shorts.. 5 on a disc instead of the usual 7... 4 on the colorized ones) aren't much of a possibility. Maybe a 'Chronological Stooges' when the new formats hit, otherwise, I wouldn't hold my breath.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)