Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

SpikeTV and the Stooges

BeAStooge · 56 · 21552

Poll

Now that they've started showing them, what do you think of Spike TV's treatment of the Stooges?

[img width= height=]http://threestooges.net/forums/Smileys/default/thumbsup.gif[/img]
9 (20.9%)
[img width= height=]http://threestooges.net/forums/Smileys/default/thumbsdown.gif[/img]
34 (79.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Linked Events

• THREE STOOGES MARATHON: April 01, 2005

Offline BeAStooge

Morty'sTV.com reports today...

http://www.mortystv.com/tv_news.shtml

[February 4, 2005] Spike has acquired The Three Stooges! A marathon will air on April Fool's Day 9am-6pm, then it will air on the weekends from 9-10am (and 10-11am on Sundays only).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 09:14:08 AM by Dunrobin »

Offline jaronson

• Numbskull
  • Team Stooge
  • Birdbrain
FINALLY.  However two questions remain:

1. Will SpikeTV show all 190 shorts?

2. Will the shorts be aired uncut and without commercial breaks during them?
Larry: Wait a minute, you forgot something. *SLAP* That’s what you forgot.   -TRICKY DICKS

Moe: This is a pool game, not a blitzkrieg.  I think I’ll invade you.    -I’LL NEVER HEIL AGAIN

Stanley Blystone: But my Fuhrer, ve are Nazis, ve have no brains.    -BACK FROM THE FRONT

2007 New York Giants: Super Bowl XLII Champions

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Interesting, and hopefully this will turn out to be good news.

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline locoboymakesgood

YES! THANK YOU GOD!

But of all days! This conflicts with the 24-hour Laurel and Hardy marathon on TMC! Ahh!
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Curley91

Alright! I hope this turns out to be good. Does anybody know what the contents of the marathon will be? If so, please get back to me ???

Offline wakkyjaky

That's great news. I will be watching on April Fool's Day and every weekend after that.

It's great to have something on to watch on the weekends in the morning besides the same old movies and informercials.

Offline Fuller Bull

You see folks, this(pending the contents of the broadcasts) is what you call patience.

Offline jc

Hi. I'm new posting here but I've read the forums before.  I'lll be watching as I did when they were on AMC.   If it only didn't conflict with with the Laurel and Hardy marathon on TCM.  ???  On the other hand, I'll probably just watch the Larel and Hardy marathon since I've don't recall seeing them and just see the Three Stooges when they come on next weekend since they won't conflict with anything I'm watcjing.  Or maybe I will watch some this weekend.

Offline MaverickTallimos

It is the time when the Marathon should be on SpikeTV but I guess in canada it won't be aired. I checked the tv guide for up to a week they don't even list the episodes that is suppose to come on on the weekends. I guess I miss out again. :(

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Well, now we know for sure how the Stooges are getting handled on Spike TV - heavily cut with commercials (at least three commercial breaks per episode!)  I had a feeling that was what we were going to see, but I'm still disappointed to see it.  I don't mind commercial breaks in between episodes, but not during!

[bitchin]

And what's with the intrusive, obnoxious self-advertising in the lower right corner?  The gold-colored "Spike TV" logo is annoying, but the spinning/flashing/expanding ads for upcoming shows is downright shameless.  Spike TV gets a HUGE thiumb down from me!

[thumbsdown]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 08:35:39 AM by Dunrobin »

Offline 3Stooges

I couldnt agree with you more. They're completely unwatchable.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I couldnt agree with you more. They're completely unwatchable.

They sure are!  I finally went back to the Married... With Children re-runs on FX, instead of watching that bastardization of the Stooges.

Nobody's commented on the Marathon they were supposed to have;  were they as bad?  I recorded most of the Laurel and Hardy marathon on TMC, as they were showing several films and shorts that I didn't have in my collection yet.  Seeing what I saw on Spike TV this morning, I'm guessing I made the right decision. 

Offline Curly Q. Link

I watched about 5 hours of the marathon mostly because I havent seen them for a long time. Around 3:00 though, I got tired of the commercials and switched to the L&H marathon, which I was sorry I didnt watch in the first place because it was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

Offline jaronson

• Numbskull
  • Team Stooge
  • Birdbrain
I thought they were going to show three episodes in the one-hour timeslot like AMC used to do, but OF COURSE NOT!  It was SO necessary to have three commercial breaks during the short that they could only show two shorts in one hour, which is inexcusable.  I'll be watching for shorts that I don't have so I can record them, but those will be unwatchable anyway.  At least SpikeTV didn't make any ridiculous cuts to the shorts like the Family Channel used to.
Larry: Wait a minute, you forgot something. *SLAP* That’s what you forgot.   -TRICKY DICKS

Moe: This is a pool game, not a blitzkrieg.  I think I’ll invade you.    -I’LL NEVER HEIL AGAIN

Stanley Blystone: But my Fuhrer, ve are Nazis, ve have no brains.    -BACK FROM THE FRONT

2007 New York Giants: Super Bowl XLII Champions

xraffle

Did Spike TV show any of AMC's missing 60 in the marathon?

Offline Curly Q. Link

Did anybody happen to notice those things where they said "Stay tuned"? There was one that had a short clip of Curly looking at the camera with smoke coming out of his ears. It looked like it was from A BIRD IN THE HEAD, but I dont ever remember seeing that scene in it before. Anybody know which short it was from?

xraffle

The short clip of Curly with smoke coming out of his ears was from "A Bird In The Head." For some reason, a lot of TV stations have that scene edited out. The scene occurs right before the professor enters the lab through the secret entrance in order to kill the stooges.

Offline Waldo Twitchell

I haven't seen the Stooges on SpikeTV yet and I'm already giving it a "thumbs down" based on the posts I've read here.

One commercial break during a short is annoying, but three is just plain obnoxious! I guess the short-subjects of yesteryear aren't short enough for SpikeTV. On the upside, however, I was told that an up and coming cable channel such as this needs to generate as much revenue as possible to survive and prove itself until it becomes firmly established.

So, maybe their handling of the Stooges will improve over time.

StoogeBoy67

This seems to be the case with most cable-dish channels today, except PPV movie channels. They add in more commercial breaks for sponsors and CGI logos, which are both annoying. Least the Spike logo is translucent while the Stooges are onscreen to blend in with B&W presentation. I got them all off TBS back in the 1990's when they showed them all uncut. The only one I may be missing is Loose Loot with Shemp in place of Curly.

Best Wishes,

StoogeBoy67

Offline Curly Q. Link

The short clip of Curly with smoke coming out of his ears was from "A Bird In The Head." For some reason, a lot of TV stations have that scene edited out.

Thats why I didnt recognize it, I only saw that scene once when UPN 57 played that short unedited.

Offline jc

I've mainly watched the L & H marthon on TCM since I don't recall ever seeing them before.   When there was singing in L & H thats when I switched to the Three Stooges.  I definitlely agree on the commercials during the Three Stooges.   I've heard of commercials after the Three Stooges episodes but during The Three Stooges episodes?!  ???.   Too bad TCM didn't acquire the rights to them.   >:(  Would've been commercial free.   If only they only show  L & H  and The Three Stooges regularly on there.  I understand they just shown L & H for just that marathon.

Offline Dr. Brighto

I caught the first Saturday showing while on vacation & was real disappointed with the commercials.  It really makes me appreciate what we have in Chicago - our own version of Stooge-a-palooza has been running on Saturday nights for over a year - a 2-hour time slot on commercial tv with NO COMMERCIAL INTERRUPTIONS IN THE SHORTS!  They show 5 shorts in the two hours & stack the ads between the shorts - unheard of for commercial tv!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I caught the first Saturday showing while on vacation & was real disappointed with the commercials.  It really makes me appreciate what we have in Chicago - our own version of Stooge-a-palooza has been running on Saturday nights for over a year - a 2-hour time slot on commercial tv with NO COMMERCIAL INTERRUPTIONS IN THE SHORTS!  They show 5 shorts in the two hours & stack the ads between the shorts - unheard of for commercial tv!

If my memory is correct, that was basically what WBSK in Boston used to do.  When my brother bought his "old-fashioned" satellite dish years ago, we stumbled on WBSK and discovered that they were showing them on Saturday mornings (or was it Sunday, or both?  Old-age is gaining on me rapidly!)  I think their time slot was an hour and a half instead of two hours, so they probably only showed 4 instead of 5 shorts, but at least the commercial breaks were in between and not during the shorts.

The programming jackass at Spike TV who approved (not 1, not 2, but 3!) commercials breaks during the shorts should get his brains knocked out (if he had any!)
[bonk]

Offline soiently64

Wow, sure am glad I watched L&H instead of the bastardized version of the stooges.

Offline Genius In the Lamp

• Unofficial genealogist of pretty blonde daughters of Canadian mining engineers
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
We're not the only ones who noticed Spike TV's shabby handling of the Stooges:

http://www.wciu.com/whatsNewItem.asp?pub_id=773

What's more, I don't have to get up in the morning to catch them!
"I like very much your English punk rock stars, you know, your Lulu, your Dave Clark Five!"  - Jerzy Balowski