The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Tom Bergeron Three Stooges special coming to Howard Stern channels

shemps#1 · 25 · 10488

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I am listening to yesterday's Howard Stern Show and they are talking about a Three Stooges special that will be airing "sometime this month", most likely on Sirius/XM channel 101. The last time Tom Bergeron (host of Dancing With The Stars) was on the show he talked about how when he was a kid he was able to interview Larry pretty extensively (Larry was at the Motion Picture Home at the time). Larry then ended up giving a young Bergeron Moe's phone number (which Moe was apparently not too happy about) and he was interviewed as well. Stern asked Bergeron if he still had the tapes and if he could air them in a special and Bergeron told him he would look for them. Apparently he found them. I'll provide further details when I get them.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
That sounds extremely interesting.  If you - or anyone else - can capture that special as an mp3, I'd love to add it to the site for the benefit of those (like me) who do not have Sirius/XM.

Offline metaldams

My brother is a Howard listener and he told me the same thing.  Didn't want to post anything because I didn't know the details, but these interviews do sound like they could be interesting.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Ok, it looks like the special is airing July 31 at 2pm on Sirius and XM channel 101 (Howard 101). They are playing clips of Bergeron interviewing Moe (seventeen year old Tom sounds just like adult Tom lol) and in the two clips Moe goes in depth on whether or not he considers the Stooges "slapstick or farce" and takes a shot a Jerry Lewis. I'm excited to hear this special.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline curlysdame

Ok, it looks like the special is airing July 31 at 2pm on Sirius and XM channel 101 (Howard 101). They are playing clips of Bergeron interviewing Moe (seventeen year old Tom sounds just like adult Tom lol) and in the two clips Moe goes in depth on whether or not he considers the Stooges "slapstick or farce" and takes a shot a Jerry Lewis. I'm excited to hear this special.

OMG!  That sounds awesome.  I'd love to hear the crack about Lewis.   :P  Somebody has got to tape this!  Unfortunately, I don't have Sirius, either.
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline metaldams

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
OMG!  That sounds awesome.  I'd love to hear the crack about Lewis.   :P  Somebody has got to tape this!  Unfortunately, I don't have Sirius, either.

Ixnay on the iracypay!  :police:

Offline FineBari3

Larry then ended up giving a young Bergeron Moe's phone number (which Moe was apparently not too happy about)

Didn't Larry give Moe's number out to Fan Club Member Scott Rebold, the man who did a few multi-media presentations on his saga of meeting Larry and Moe?
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

ThumpTheShoes

Just got done listening to this. The interviews with Moe and Larry equal, maybe, one-third of the program, the rest consists of Stern Show comedy bits and archived, Stern-led group discussions about the Stooges. Editorially speaking, a little bit of Billy West as Larry Fine is kinda funny. Alot of Billy West as Larry Fine is just grating.

Nothing new to report, really, from the interview material-- Moe takes a jab at Jerry Lewis, discusses the origins of the Stooges and the ensuing violence issue from the television years.. Did the Stooges ever get hurt? Oh, yes! Larry got a pen in his head, Curly got stitches. What inspired the Moe haircut?..

Larry hints that he's writing a book, offers his abbreviated version of Stooge origins, and recounts some well-worn anecdotes.. alot of familiar ground is covered.

The interviews, themselves, were not presented in their entirety, however. Though they were nicely peppered/illustrated with audio clips from the shorts, the frequent interruptions kind of make one feel like, "Okay. enough of that, get back to the tape!".

The Moe clips were in much better shape than the Larry ones, and it was explained that they really only had one chance to capture the Larry audio as the tape was, literally, decaying as it played out in the machine! The resulting audio from all the interviews ranges from quite clear to heavily drenched in tinny/swirly-sounding noise reduction.

The special had a nice flow to it, though. Well planned. Not like those days when Howard takes interviews (or meltdowns: remember the Pat Cooper explosion?!) and analyzes them to death.

And, finally, Bergeron pimps his book.

All-in-all, worthy for the fans, but.. be prepared to hit the fast-forward button. Alot.

Offline Rich Finegan

FineBari3 said;
Didn't Larry give Moe's number out to Fan Club Member Scott Rebold, the man who did a few multi-media presentations on his saga of meeting Larry and Moe?

Scott's last name is Reboul.

Offline Rich Finegan

I also just finished listening to the show. It ran one hour and 35 minutes. Is that all of it? Just wondering if it was supposed to have been a total of two hours. It doesn't sound as if anything is missing, but it stops at one hour, 35 minutes.

Some very good stuff in it. Some really silly Stern stuff. Definitely worth hearing at least once by all Stooges fans.
But...Shemp and Joe Besser fans be prepared for some major disrespect to those two Stooges. Besser is repeatedly called Curly Joe Besser. Shemp fans will have to suffer through cracks by Stern such as "Shemp leaving The Stooges was a good idea. He was ruining The Stooges." But Stern seems to be a true fan and his affection sounds sincere.

The interviews themselves are of course the most valuable parts of this show. For the most part Moe and Larry tell a lot of info we've heard before. Some of Moe's talk is almost word-for-word identical to his interview answers on shows such as "The Mike Douglas Show" (including his inaccurate explanation of why Shemp left The Stooges in 1932). Larry talks about working with Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton, which is strange, as he never did, at least not in films (well, no films we know about!)

We get to hear brief clips from our good friends Paul Howard and Gary Lassin.
Stooges fans who are also Howard Stern fans will of course enjoy this show the most.
But we can be thankful that these Stooges interview tapes were found and broadcast, even if we had to listen to a lot of silliness to get the good stuff.

Offline FineBari3

FineBari3 said;

Scott's last name is Reboul.

Duh....that's right!
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline FineBari3

Check out the sweet logo on stern's website - http://www.howardstern.com/archive.hs?h=1429

Wow, that's pretty sweet!

There is also a section on that page to email Howard. I did so, and thanked him for the show!
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline locoboymakesgood

What was exactly said about Jerry Lewis? I didn't know Moe didn't like him.  That's hilarious because I couldn't stand him either. ;D

And Larry worked with Keaton and Chaplin? I'm sure these were well-known facts but I had no idea. I feel like such a mediocre fan.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline FineBari3

What was exactly said about Jerry Lewis? I didn't know Moe didn't like him.  That's hilarious because I couldn't stand him either. ;D

And Larry worked with Keaton and Chaplin? I'm sure these were well-known facts but I had no idea. I feel like such a mediocre fan.

Well, Larry probably worked with Keaton behind-the-scenes at Columbia (or played bridge with him).  That would not surprise me, but Chaplin????? How and where?
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline OldFred

I was able to get a copy of the special and outside of some of the Stern stuff, I really enjoyed it. I thought the Moe and Larry interviews were good and it's a shame that Bergeron didn't record more of them. (He mentioned that he periodically called Moe and Larry from time to time just to say hello and didn't record those conversations).

As much as I dislike Stern, I was impressed by his knowledge of the Stooges to a point (there were still some things he got wrong, like the impression that the Stooges were penniless when they died, which unless someone can correct me on it, I believe was not the case).

The Billy West segments I enjoyed, especially when Billy was just interviewed and demonstrated his Larry impersonation, which is incredible. The Stern/Larry parodies have funny moments, mostly enhanced by West's vocal talents, but I could have done without Stern's brand of low toilet humor.

Overall, it was a very good special and well worth it for Stooge fans to seek out and enjoy.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I liked the special but agree that there was too much Stern bits from the past and not enough of the interviews. This is coming from a Stern fan who has heard those bits many times over the years, and while they are still funny (especially Larry at Woodstock) I could have done without them if it meant more room for interviews. Bergeron did say some of tapes did not hold up well at all, especially the Larry tapes which were apparently disintergrating as they were being converted, so the question of how much usable material they had is up in the air.

As for Howard, he is a big Stooges fan (the ones with Curly anyway) but he is by no means an encyclopedia on the subject. I'm still trying to figure out who "Curly Joe Besser" is.

Offline curlysdame

I found this on youtube recently, and thought it would it would fit best in this topic.  Unfortunately, the beginning was cut off (was posted like that), but I thought it was interesting that they were talking about Curly.  But, I thought it was kind of vulgar, too.  I've never really been a fan of the 'p-word.'  I agree with you, though, Jim; Howard may be a big fan, but yeah, not exactly an encyclopedia on the subject.

"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline falsealarms

When Moe goes into his rant about slapstick vs farce and comics vs comedians, it's hilarious. The Bob Hope line is great.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

Offline OldFred

Would like to get a copy of this special again since I had a computer crash some time ago and lost it. If any one can help, please PM me. Thanks.