Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Joe DeRita in THE TWILIGHT ZONE

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Rod Serling's first pilot episode of THE TWILIGHT ZONE is a lost step-child. It's not syndicated with THE TWILIGHT ZONE, and not even included as a bonus among all the series' DVD collections. It originally aired on CBS as an installment of Desi Arnaz's anthology series WESTINGHOUSE-DESILU PLAYHOUSE, "The Time Element" on November 24, 1958.

What's the Stooge-connection? Joe DeRita had a supporting role in this landmark television drama.

From ThreeStooges.net's TV Guest Appearance Filmography...
Sponsor Westinghouse partnered with Desilu Studios to produce this filmed anthology series. Noted for high quality productions during its two-year run, the series is best remembered for pilot episodes that launched THE TWILIGHT ZONE and THE UNTOUCHABLES. Primarily producing dramas, PLAYHOUSE also hosted thirteen one-hour episodes of the I LOVE LUCY spin-off, THE LUCILLE BALL - DESI ARNAZ COMEDY HOUR.

Pete Jenson's recurring dream, of waking on Dec. 6, 1941 in Honolulu after a 1958 drunken binge, takes him to psychiatrist Dr. Gillespie. Jenson is convinced that it's not just a dream, that he's actually travelling back into time. In Honolulu, Pete befriends a young USS Arizona officer and his newlywed wife, and suffers the agony of no one believing his tale of the coming Japanese attack. Joe DeRita appears as a drunk at a Honolulu bar. This was the pilot episode for THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

Cast: Desi Arnaz (Host), William Bendix (Peter Jenson), Martin Balsam (Dr. Arnold Gillespie), Darryl Hickman (Ensign Janoski), Carolyn Kearney (Edna Janoski), Jesse White (Honolulu bartender), Joe DeRita (Drunk), Jesslynn Fax (Maid), Bartlett Robinson (Mr. Gibbons), Don Keefer (Reporter), Alan Baxter (Doctor), Paul Bryar (Bartender)

Crew: Desi Arnaz (Executive Producer), Rod Serling (Writer), Bert Granet (Producer), Allen Reisner (Director)

[youtube=425,350]BxAYn286vtA[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]nudk98CeF88[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]aTwnn042fbY[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]3QsV6fQX1Yw[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]JB4w2RUNMtA[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]RX0Q8WVMVoY[/youtube]

Jesslyn Fax, who played the hotel maid, partnered with Ellen Corby (THE WALTONS) to confront the Stooges in 4 FOR TEXAS (1963).
[youtube=425,350]lk1o8fdmres[/youtube]

Don't have time to check out the whole thing, but I spotted Joe D. a couple of times during the first few of minutes of the 2nd part above. That's his whole part, right?
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Sadistic Stooge

Offline curlysdame

Wow, that was great!  Thanks for posting this, Brent.  Just when I thought you found everything...  It's too bad that wasn't a special feature on "The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection."  As someone that's seen all of The Twilight Zone episodes, I'd definitely put this Serling story among my favorites. 
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)