Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Sony DVD box set up for pre-order on Amazon

BeAStooge · 126 · 31867

Offline BeAStooge

No press release from Sony/Columbia yet, but...

Amazon.com has "Three Stooges Collection Years 1 - 2" up for preorder, with a release date of September 18.

If Amazon's info is accurate, it seemingly verifies the earlier Sony rumor on Home Theater Forum (back in May 2006), that there would be twelve 2-year sets released over a two-to-three year period.

Offline Justin T

I hope it is, because this is what Stooge fans have been wanting for, for YEARS.

Guess we better keep our eyes and ears open about this.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

ThumpTheShoes

Hmm...

The list price is $24.96 and Amazon's preorder cost is $17.49. That's quite a drop in price-per-short based on previous, single disc releases.

I won't actually do it 'till I hear an official announcement, but I'm gonna practice falling backwards in my chair, now!

-ThumpetyThumpThump

Offline Waldo Twitchell

Wow, I'll guess I'll be giving my money to Sony after all! This first set will be a real litmus test for all of us who've waited (and waited) patiently...

Offline falsealarms

By years 1-2, do they mean 34 and 35? Or 34, 35, and 36? There was only a few shorts made in 1934.

I'm not sure what I should do... I have a ton of shorts already from that period (Haters, Drunks, Black, Easel, Pigskins, Polloi, Beers, Court, Alarms) but also missing several from that period that I really like: Pullman, Scotch, Maniacs, Warriors, Ants, Shooters. That's 6 shorts, and for $17.94, that's about what the old DVDs cost.

I'm going to be most interested in the Shemp ones, especially 1950-1954.

Offline Larry Larry

Please, please, please let this be true.   8)

I prefer even more shorts in bigger box sets, but if they can release each and every short w/ 12 per set in chronological order, then I'll be happy.

Let's hope we get each and every short including ALL Shemps and ALL Joes.  Even the recycled ones.

One can only hope that there are bonus features too.  (a documentary about how they colorized old films we didnt' want colorized to begin with is not a bonus feature).
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

(a documentary about how they colorized old films we didnt' want colorized to begin with is not a bonus feature).

I know you wrote this tongue in cheek...but that sounds exactly like something they MIGHT do. Or interview 8-year old kids that do Curly impressions.  Hopefully we'll get SCREEN SNAPSHOTS and bonus material that is worthy of being included...
Pick two!!

Curley91

Awesome!  It's about freakin' time! 

It seems like we've been waiting forever!   :laugh:

xraffle

Amazon actually changed the title to Three Stooges Collection 1934-1936. It should contain the following shorts:

Woman Haters
Punch Drunks
Men In Black
Three Little Pigskins

Horses' Collars
Restless Knights
Pop Goes the Easel
Uncivil Warriors
Pardon My Scotch
Hoi Polloi
Three Little Beers

Ants in the Pantry
Movie Maniacs   
Half-Shot Shooters 
Disorder in the Court
A Pain in the Pullman
False Alarms 
Whoops I'm an Indian
Slippery Silks 

Now, to get all this for less that $20, that's great! It's about time Sony released the stooges the way it's supposed to be and for a good price too. I really hope that this is true. I checked Sony's website and it only covers up to September 11. But, I doubt Amazon will post false information. I hope Sony will release "Three Little Beers" unedited this time.

Thanks a lot, BeAStooge, for posting this info!

JH24

I want to know how this set might be packaged? I hope Sony doesnt put two dvds in a single dvd case and sell it like that.

xraffle

I want to know how this set might be packaged? I hope Sony doesnt put two dvds in a single dvd case and sell it like that.

Why not? There's nothing wrong with that. Most DVDs are like that because most movies are released with a lot of special features.

JH24

Why not? There's nothing wrong with that. Most DVDs are like that because most movies are released with a lot of special features.

If it is in a single case, i would atleast want it in a digipak.

ThumpTheShoes

Double Alpha case for me, thanks! I want this collection to be as bold and substantial as it can be. This may be the only time (in my lifetime, anyway) that Sony has to do this right and I'd hope that no part of it comes off as thin, flimsy, lacking or ephemeral.

With that said, if done right, they could package it in a brick, or as a cutaway on the back of a cereal packet and I'd still get it!

-Thump

xraffle

It doesn't really matter to me. The regular DVD cases that are used for movies is OK with me. I have a lot of movies in those types of cases and they give good protection.

Offline falsealarms

Maybe they will cut prices on the old dvd's... maybe down under $10 (9.99).

Offline Bangsmith

• Citizen of Greater Stoogedom
  • Chucklehead
Amazon actually changed the title to Three Stooges Collection 1934-1936. It should contain the following shorts:

Woman Haters
Punch Drunks
Men In Black
Three Little Pigskins

Horses' Collars
Restless Knights
Pop Goes the Easel
Uncivil Warriors
Pardon My Scotch
Hoi Polloi
Three Little Beers

Ants in the Pantry
Movie Maniacs   
Half-Shot Shooters 
Disorder in the Court
A Pain in the Pullman
False Alarms 
Whoops I'm an Indian
Slippery Silks 

Now, to get all this for less that $20, that's great! It's about time Sony released the stooges the way it's supposed to be and for a good price too. I really hope that this is true. I checked Sony's website and it only covers up to September 11. But, I doubt Amazon will post false information. I hope Sony will release "Three Little Beers" unedited this time.

Thanks a lot, BeAStooge, for posting this info!
It's about time! Now, if only this had happened a couple of years ago, I wouldn't have had to buy the existing Sony DVDs and a complete bootleg set! It looks like I'll have to sell all my Sony DVDs (Except the movies and the colorized ones) and give away the bootlegs, but for just under $18 per set, I'll still get these new sets!!
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do "suck seed"!!

Offline 2reelers

Does anyone think these will be colorized or will there be more colorized shorts as individual dvd releases?

I ask this because if you go to www.legendfilms.net, you'll see a demo of the colorized films Legend has released in the upper right corner of the site's home page. There is colorized footage from one of the Shemp westerns (not sure which one). It's pretty brief, and you'll have to sit through a few clips from films like Heidi and She before the Stooges footage is shown. Colorized clips of some of the other PD shorts are mixed in too, but the western footage stood out as something new.

xraffle

I have a question for those of you who spent time converting your Three Stooges VHS collection to DVD. Are you people buying these new sets? I'm still deciding whether I should get these new sets or not, since I spent sooooo much time and money coverting my VHS collection to DVD.

Offline Benno123

I have preordered my set on Amazon.  Even if the shorts are colorized (I doubt they will be) I'm sure the b&w versions will be included as well.  I just hope that some bonus material will be included, maybe commentaries and "lost" footage, etc.  Some solo shorts would also be nice, too!!

Offline 3Stooges

2reelers,

I think that short is OUT WEST which isnt PD. I also thought Westside studios do all of the Stooge coloring.

I plan to buy this set. It's supposed to be filled with bonus features. If the set is as good as the Buster Keaton Columbia set, I'll be happy.

I highly doubt this set will have the color/BW choice. The run time says 340 minutes. So, that's about 19 shorts (340 divided by 18 min)

The run time would have been doubled if it had the color/BW choice.

They will be either one or the other...

Offline 2reelers

I think that short is OUT WEST which isnt PD. I also thought Westside studios do all of the Stooge coloring.

Thanks! I thought OUT WEST too. Can this mean that maybe the colorizing duties have been shifted to Legend Films?

I'll probably start buying these discs either way. I do like the novelty of the colorized versions

Offline Justin T

I have a question for those of you who spent time converting your Three Stooges VHS collection to DVD. Are you people buying these new sets? I'm still deciding whether I should get these new sets or not, since I spent sooooo much time and money coverting my VHS collection to DVD.

That's the question I have been debating myself since this was announced on Amazon. I didnt spend alot of money but I did spend alot of time converting the Stooge Shorts I had on VHS that have not been on DVD yet onto disks. I had alot of Stooge VHS tapes in my library (both Columbia releases and the Goodtimes Three Stooges Collection Vol.1 thru 5) and I got help in getting alot of shorts I didnt have (Thanks Thump!)

I'm probably going to buy them anyway, since there are some Curly and Shemp ones I dont have (Mostly later Curly's when he was sick and most of the Shemp remakes from 53 to 56) and I dont have any of the Joe Besser shorts at all. Horses Collars is one of the ones in this first set I dont have. I thought I already had it and I was mistaken. So I'm definatly going to buy the first set for sure

As for later releases, I'm probably going to get them eventually.....but if they have some type of bonus features on them, then its a done deal for sure.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

JH24

I wonder how Sony will be present these shorts, i hope none of the usual colorization, myself and everyone else grew up watching the Stooges in B/W and thats how we want to be able to watch them on dvd.

ThumpTheShoes

Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I'll be all over these new sets like mud on a catfish! I'll hang onto my DVDr's and retail discs and, even though I've discovered the dreaded, white mold on a couple of my old VHS's, I ain't gettin' rid of them, either.

Besides, a little mold never killed anyb