Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

An Ache In Every Stake (1941)

metaldams · 58 · 21895

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/57
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033312/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Yes yes yes, yes yes yes yes YES!

They simply don't get much better than this one.  An all-time classic top two short for me.  Even though I love this short to death, it has also been a while since I've seen it, and I forgot how many classic scenes they were able to throw in there in less than twenty minutes.  Curly's head in the ice, getting the ice up the stairs, the confrontation with the chef, the shaving of the ice, Moe over compensating ingredients, Curly stuffing the turkey, Curly shaving the ice, the reprise of the spring on Curly's ass gag, the gas inflatable birthday cake, the fun and stupid happy birthday song, the cake explosion, the boys sledding down the stairs, multiple shots of Vernon Dent covered in cake gunk.....I rest my case.

A few random observations is that the boys and kitchens are always a wonderful thing for some reason.  I guess the kitchen has so many possibilities where things can possibly go wrong that idiots like The Three Stooges make sure they do.  As the shorts get more indoors and domesticated later on the Shemp era, we'll see plenty more great kitchen scenes.

Curly gives a friggin' tour de force in this one.  His random shrieks,screams and howls are hysterical more so than usual, my favorite being the noise he makes in the kitchen battle with the chef as he stops the action and has them look into the bowl.  The shaving of the ice scene is also great, I love the barber act he does.

Also, I always loved Curly bowling with the ice and empty milk bottles.  Like the taking a bath in the sprinkler in SO LONG MR. CHUMPS, it's Curly improvising and having fun in a childlike way in a situation where it's not exactly socially acceptable.  You're not supposed to bath in public, you're not supposed to knock down other people's milk bottles like bowling pins with ice, but he does so with glee and the care of an overgrown man child.

The supporting cast is great.  It's got Bud and Vernon, and I don't think Bess Flowers had ever been better used as the worrisome wife trying to make sure things go right when they all end up tragically wrong.  As for Symona, best female slapping partner Curly's ever had, she's fantastic.

I kind of like this short.

10/10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:35:21 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Yes sir, this short is one of the all-time greats & Curly gives us what may be his all-time greatest performance as a stooge. Moe and Larry are not too shabby either, but Curly definitely owns this one.

Highlights: "I got a perfect score." "No you haven't, you need another strike."

And now that I'm watching it again, I forgot about Larry's "what a brain" comment.

Curly explaining to the lady to get an electric ice box & her "say that again" and of course, Curly just barks at her.

Curly shaving the ice, needs no explanation....

Curly stuffing the turkey, Curly's slapfest with Symona, Larry taking the gaspipe, the exploding cake & the ending which ranks as one of the better ones in stooge history.

I know there are some who think this particular short is overrated, but I'm not one of them.

10 out of 10....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Kopfy2013

One of my favorite shorts. A definite 10.

If you are in the Los Angeles area you have to go see the steps... it is like a spiritual experience !!  [3stooges]

I was at the Stoogeum a couple of weeks back and a few of my travelers went into the theatre and this short played and these women were laughing ... it was great, I was out of sight and look at the Hall of Shemp and could hear them laugh ...

I love the block of ice scene where it becomes an ice cube ...'Have a sample' ....

I forget how many steps there are ... I am sure I have it documented somewhere - 122? ... can't remember... If I lived close I would run those steps a few times a week to keep in shape.

Offline Lefty

No argument here; it's definitely a mess-ter-piece of Stooge-osity, if I may pull a Howard Cosell and make up words.  Metaladams said it all, but I would also like to add the performance of Gino Corrado Liserani as the cook.  When the spices (or whatever) fell on him, they played different musical notes, and when the Stooges looked into the bowl and got him to do so, they stuffed his head in it.  I wonder if he liked that better than the grapes flung into his mouth in Micro-Phonies.

As for the rather extensive stairway outside, it reminds of me of my old neighborhood where some houses were so far above the main drag, the mailman probably got a week's worth of exercise each day.  Of course, 122 steps is nothing compared to the 904 steps inside the Washington Monument.  Of course, the Monument does not have a good view except by the windows at the top.

"Did you have a pink tie on?  No?  Well here's your lip!"

Offline Bud_Jamison

A five star classic, all around.  "I told you to be careful!"  Also, when in LA visit the steps, it really is an experience and has a cool vibe.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I was disappointed to come on here and not see everything I admire here covered.  I personally believe that this short is overrated, and I STILL give it a 10/10, if that makes sense.  I think what people try to do is look for more of the verbal gags found in shorts like I'LL NEVER HEIL AGAIN.  This is exactly what it sounds like.  If something is done or said and you didn't laugh, you never will.

My personal favorite moment is Larry with the gas.  When Moe says, "Get some [blank]," Larry never fails to get it... for himself! 

Curly is perfect with the turkey... did he really show is 29 inch arm all the way up to his shoulder in a 15 inch turkey?  Here of course we see the origins of the zipper-turkey gag in motion... dicing potatoes the separation of eggs... oysters... soaking a loaf of bread... shaving the ice... it goes on and on.  Does anyone notice how vile this stuffing recipe sounds?

Of course people find jewelry and other disgusting prizes in the food, which Symona Boniface just finds delightful!

"My father died dancing... at the end of a rope!"

I will leave my spiel at that because last week's post was too long.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Paul, I tend to notice in general, not just for this short, that a lot of reviews are reciting favorite verbal lines.  It's just the way people like to talk about shorts, and that's fine.  But yeah, I agree, shorts like AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE are definitely more physical than the last short, which is definitely more my style when it comes to The Three Stooges.  I also purposely try NOT to cover every point, just to give others a chance to fill in the blanks and perhaps create a discussion.

As for the stuffing recipe, you're correct, it IS vile, even when you take into account only the items that actually qualify as food.  Potatoes?  Oysters?  However, just to prove personal point of view effects how one views thing, I get freaked out by....the quantity of bread.  You know, the ingredient you're actually supposed to make stuffing out of.  I'm on some primal diet that's helped me lose about 40 or 45 lbs and keep it off, and this involves avoiding bread, so for me to see a huge loaf of bread like that, ew, gross!  However, Moe sticking an entire tub of butter in his little concoction is just fine, because, you know, that's primal.  Yes, an eccentricity on my part.

Yeah, I too find the reactions strange about the "prizes" in the turkey.  Vernon Dent basically smiles when it's first discovered.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Allen Champion

An all-time Stooges classic, easily one of their all time best.  The pacing is perfect and the  Stooges' comic timing is impeccable.  Just a joy to watch from start to finish.  This is the one to show your Laurel and Hardy friends! 
"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"

Offline JazzBill

Not only is this one in my top favorites list but it's in my top 3 list. This is one of the shorts I would show someone to explain what the Stooges are about. Great location shots and a great supporting cast, including the horse help this short move along.  Add the boys mixing with high society and you can't go wrong. I give this short my first 10 rating.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

IIRC, Bess Flowers holds the all-time record of most motion picture appearances, from extra appearances, to tiny speaking parts, to more heavily featured parts like this one.  Also, IIRC, that number is a hefty 777.  I probably read this on this site somewhere.  I think I've also read somewhere that in the running for second place is Oliver Hardy, among others, though no one is sure of that and in any case the runner-up totals aren't even close, more like in the mid 400's.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this Bess Flowers' last stooge short?  I know of one of her small speaking parts, about 3 years after Ache, in The Mummy's Ghost and her hair was all grey....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline JazzBill

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this Bess Flowers' last stooge short?  I know of one of her small speaking parts, about 3 years after Ache, in The Mummy's Ghost and her hair was all grey....

This is a quote from Wikipedia, "The film marked the final appearance of supporting actress Bess Flowers with the Stooges." But the Stooges Info section here says she appeared as a party guest in the short "Micro-Phonies" in 1945. She is one of the guests sitting on a couch.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline stoogerascalfan62

My favorite part is after the Stooges knock Dent into the cake, Jamison telling him "I told you to be careful".

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

That would be sad as that would mean The Mummy's Ghost was made in 1944, meaning Bess was only 46 at that time.  She died in 1984!

Paul, I tend to notice in general, not just for this short, that a lot of reviews are reciting favorite verbal lines.  It's just the way people like to talk about shorts, and that's fine.  But yeah, I agree, shorts like AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE are definitely more physical than the last short, which is definitely more my style when it comes to The Three Stooges.  I also purposely try NOT to cover every point, just to give others a chance to fill in the blanks and perhaps create a discussion.

As for the stuffing recipe, you're correct, it IS vile, even when you take into account only the items that actually qualify as food.  Potatoes?  Oysters?  However, just to prove personal point of view effects how one views thing, I get freaked out by....the quantity of bread.  You know, the ingredient you're actually supposed to make stuffing out of.  I'm on some primal diet that's helped me lose about 40 or 45 lbs and keep it off, and this involves avoiding bread, so for me to see a huge loaf of bread like that, ew, gross!  However, Moe sticking an entire tub of butter in his little concoction is just fine, because, you know, that's primal.  Yes, an eccentricity on my part.

Yeah, I too find the reactions strange about the "prizes" in the turkey.  Vernon Dent basically smiles when it's first discovered.

Actually, if you notice, it's just me.  It just makes it easier for me to know what I am writing about as I have not seen many of these shorts in 5-15 years.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

IIRC, Bess Flowers holds the all-time record of most motion picture appearances, from extra appearances, to tiny speaking parts, to more heavily featured parts like this one.  Also, IIRC, that number is a hefty 777.  I probably read this on this site somewhere.  I think I've also read somewhere that in the running for second place is Oliver Hardy, among others, though no one is sure of that and in any case the runner-up totals aren't even close, more like in the mid 400's.

777?  Pfft, mere child's play!  Actually, imdb gives her 843 credits if you count television.  Eight hundred and forty bleepin' three credits.  Yeah, safe to say she was always bringing home a paycheck.  What an awesome career she had.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Another Universal horror connection: Gino Corrado, the mad chef from this short pops up in House of Frankenstein...

Offline metaldams

Another Universal horror connection: Gino Corrado, the mad chef from this short pops up in House of Frankenstein...

Don't blink or you'll miss it, but also from this short, Symona Boniface is one of the Satanic cult guests in THE BLACK CAT (1934).
- Doug Sarnecky

As Shemp Diesel says, Curly shaving the ice needs no explanation, but what is understated in the bit is that he's apparently never heard the term shave some ice, AND HE'S A FRIGGING ICEMAN.

And Paul Payne, Heartthrob of millions, you are correct:  calling this one overrated and still giving it 10/10 makes no sense at all.

And while I'm on a roll, I've been waiting for an opening to point this out for a while: speaking of Gino Corrado,  go to YouTube and watch the clip of  Buster Keaton's Pest From The West.  At the end of the clip, where Buster and Gino have been whamming each other with the bulkhead door, not only will you hear Curly's howl as Gino supposedly falls down the cellar stairs, a second or so later you will also see Gino morph into Cy Schindell as Cy takes a fall for Gino.  That sounds confusing, but it's perfectly apparent when you watch it.

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
I've been studying stunt doubles in Stooge shorts for a while (it's something of a hobby - don't ask), and I'm wondering: in the opening shot where Moe and Larry are tossed out of the wagon by the horse -- is that George Gray doubling Larry?
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Larrys#1

This episode is really good. The whole melting ice scene was hilarious. I like the scene with the chef (who later returns as the hilarious Signor Spumoni in MICRO PHONIES). Curly stuffing the turkey and shaving the ice was great to watch. Vernon Dent is great here. It's hilarious watching him trip and land on his birthday cake and later start chewing the food on the table and then smiling to everyone and pretending to enjoy it. Vernon Dent is such a great straight man and I can see why he's used repeatedly in the stooges episodes.

Larry has a great moment here when he blows on the gas pipe. During this time, Larry wasn't given much to do. I guess it's because Curly was so energetic and funny at this point of his career so they ended up making Curly the center of attention with less focus on Larry. So, it's always a joy seeing Larry doing something funny, even though it's only something small.

10/10

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Vernon Dent is such a great straight man and I can see why he's used repeatedly in the stooges episodes.

I have to agree with that statement--as far as male actors go, to me Vernon was definitely the greatest in the stooge films....

Offline Signor Spumoni

I enjoy this short very much.  I'd love to visit that flight of stairs. 

Other things, which may or may not have been mentioned already, which I like:  the opening visual of the gasping thermometer as it fluctuates between 120' and 130'; the ice box chasing Vernon down the stairs; the housekeeper's opening comment about "those dumb ice men:" "Yesterday they put the ice in the radio!"; Moe's line to Larry, "Take the gas pipe," and the way the inhaled gas doesn't bother Larry; the smart horse that can read the sign showing that a house takes Zero brand ice; the way we can hear the Stooges snoring in the wagon before we see them; "Defrost me!' "Oh, a frozen dainty!" "Ice with personality,  Coal with oomph;" the little tune the spices make as they hit my man Gino on the head (does anyone recognize the tune?  It sounds like a real song);  Curly's putting the shaving cream in his pocket, then telling the ice that he's "saving this for this children, to make mud pies;" the "diced" potatoes; the zipper on the turkey; the "prizes" in the dressing, reminiscent of Stymie's prize cake in "Birthday Blues;" the breathing oven; and yet another explosion from Columbia to take us to the ending.

Offline Signor Spumoni

By the way, well done to you, Metaldams, on losing all that weight.  How long did that take?