Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Mickey Rooney, 93, Hollywood Legend

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
A sad farewell to Mickey Rooney, who left us today at age 93.
Washington Post obituary

Mickey's filmography crossed the Stooges a couple times. Although Mick and the boys didn't share scenes, Mickey costarred in IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD (1963) and Moe & Curly were in BROADWAY TO HOLLYWOOD (1933) which also featured Mickey. Most notably, Mickey appeared in three films with Ted Healy, one of which featured them together in costar roles, LOVE IS A HEADACHE (1938).

Mickey Rooney's Stooges-related Filmography

BUT... in Rooney's early career when he was known as Mickey McGuire, a character he played in short subjects, experienced a key encounter...

The August 28, 1932 appearance of Ted Healy & His Stooges at Cleveland, Ohio's RKO Palace is believed to be the FIRST PUBLIC PERFORMANCE OF TED & HIS STOOGES WITH CURLY (Shemp departed the act just one week earlier). And who appeared on the same bill with them? A 12-year-old Mickey [Rooney] McGuire.

We've lost a Hollywood great, and a piece of history. Rest in peace.

Offline Squirrelbait

I was so sorry to see this. RIP, Mickey Rooney.

If I'm not mistaken, he was the last one left from 'Mad Mad Mad Mad World', right?
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
If I'm not mistaken, he was the last one left from 'Mad Mad Mad Mad World', right?

Mickey was the last of the main cast.

Supporting survivors include Marvin Kaplan, Carl Reiner, Barrie Chase, Louise Glenn, Nick Georgiade, Stan Freberg, Jerry Lewis and John Clarke.