Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

No Census, No Feeling (1940)

metaldams · 28 · 13393

Offline metaldams

http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/50
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032845/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The second half of the Curly era begins with NO CENSUS, NO FEELING, a fantastic Stooge short.  The intro is brilliant.  Though not as elaborate as HOW HIGH IS UP, the boys as tramps being awaken from their sleep by being rolled out of an awning is quite funny and creative.  I enjoy the plot as well.  The boys accidentally destroy a store owner's property, the store owner turns to the state for assistance, the boys run away from the state only to end up working for......the state.  Yes, our three heroes are census takers in this one, and speaking of the state, my favorite exchange ever in a Stooge short is uttered in this one.  As Moe and Larry are running around huddling football players trying to get census information:

Moe: You can trust us.
Larry: We'll only tell the government.

Bloody classic.  I also really love the part when Moe is crushing Larry's head in the dresser, takes Larry's head out, and Larry thanks Moe because he doesn't know how else he would've gotten out of there!  Never mind Moe put him there in the first place!

This short has a lot of Stooge fun outdoors, Symona Boniface as a high society lady in one of her better roles, Vernon Dent as a party guest, Curly in a kitchen, Curly flirting with a French Maid, and is overall a great short.  Really will be shocked if somebody doesn't like this one, but maybe I'll be proven wrong.

10/10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:30:27 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

....and my hunch about the store owner is correct by looking at the credits.  That IS Max Davidson.  He was a Hal Roach player in the silent era who starred in his own short films and worked in some of Laurel and Hardy's earlier films. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Allen Champion

"I know, but I won't tell you!"
An absolute sparkling gem of comedy, one of the Stooges' top ten classics.  I can't think of a fault, this is a perfect two-reeler, with another winning performance from The Greatest Stooge:  Jerome "Curly" Howard.  That's  Bruce (Tarzan)  Bennett on the football team.  "Aw, she can't be that old!"
"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"

Offline Shemp_Diesel

My only issue with this short is whether to rate it a 9.5 or a perfect 10. I love just about everything this short has to offer; the opening section with the stooges falling out of the awning, Moe's no look punch to Larry, getting a job as census takers which leads to more goodies: Excuse me sir, I'm the census taker, are you married or happy?

A lot of great business goes on inside the house as well, like Lake I don't even know how to spell it, "Winapasaki", oh hell, make it Lake Erie, I got an Uncle there.   :P

And of course, the whole alum punch scene to me may be the best part of the short, even better than the football game. All in all, the stooges were kicking major ass in the early 40s. What the hell, I'll give it a perfect 10....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Lefty

"Where are you from?"  "Lake Winnipesaukee."  "How do you spell it?"  "W-O-Woof.  Make it Lake Erie; I got an uncle there!"

"I was one of a litter of three.  I'm the one they kept!"  That reminds me of game show host Art James saying "I got three kids -- one of each."

"Are you married or happy?"  "Henreeeeeeeeeeeeee!"  <CRASH>  "Married."  I"m glad my wife isn't like that.

Moe and Larry trying to guess the age of Symona Boniface (or is that Emilion Bonifacio?), with her actual age being the average of the rat-a-tat-tat guesses.  Then again, she did look to be a million years old.  "Sold American!"

As for the football scene, I wouldn't mind having that in an NFL (No Fun League) game; it would sure make it interesting.

To paraphrase Colonel Crittendon, "Excellent show all 'round!"

Offline Kopfy2013

Good story, good antics, good short.

Agreed I like the no look punch and the classic line "Are you married or happy?"

The kitchen scene with the maid and Moe both excellent.

Curly running with the football, part of the Curly shuffle video. 

I give it a solid eight
Niagara Falls

Offline ProfessorStooge

This short is one of the funniest I've ever seen. My favorite part was when Curly yelled out "Sold American!" and got pelted with the census ledgers. That makes me chuckle everytime.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
"Where are you from?"  "Lake Winnipesaukee."  "How do you spell it?"  "W-O-Woof.  Make it Lake Erie; I got an uncle there!"

"I was one of a litter of three.  I'm the one they kept!"  That reminds me of game show host Art James saying "I got three kids -- one of each."

"Are you married or happy?"  "Henreeeeeeeeeeeeee!"  <CRASH>  "Married."  I"m glad my wife isn't like that.

Moe and Larry trying to guess the age of Symona Boniface (or is that Emilion Bonifacio?), with her actual age being the average of the rat-a-tat-tat guesses.  Then again, she did look to be a million years old.  "Sold American!"

As for the football scene, I wouldn't mind having that in an NFL (No Fun League) game; it would sure make it interesting.

To paraphrase Colonel Crittendon, "Excellent show all 'round!"

Lefty, you stole the words from me.  10/10, one of the best shorts ever made.

After Curly puts the alum in the punch, Moe is precious as he tries to find ways to spit out his disgusting punch.  Moe also displays typical fury as he attempts to murder Larry for his "Naw, I was the one they threw out," and instead strangles the man of the house.

Incredible ending.

"I'm the quarterback!"
"I'm the halfback!"
"I'm the hunchback!  Eeeeeee awwww!"

I'm sorry I didn't get to this discussion sooner.  Few if any shorts are better loved by this Stoogephile.

One must love how Moe enters the house and somehow Curly has taken over as head chef.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline QuinceHead

Simona: "How old do you think I am?"

Moe: "Baby, you look like a million!"

Larry: "Naaaah -- she can't be THAT old!"

*SMACK*

:laugh:

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline QuinceHead

I also enjoy the dig at Joseph Breen, the puritanical censor who enforced the United States Motion Picture Production Code of 1930 with an iron glove.

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline JazzBill

What's not to like? One of my favorite beginnings, the boys once again mingling with high society and Moe dishing out plenty of punishment. This short is high on my favorites list and I rate it 9.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline JWF

It took me years to figure out what Moe was saying about the alum-laced punch..

Something like "a little heavy on the angora bitters....in fact I think the goat walked right through it, I'm sure....".

Offline BeatleShemp

This short just shows why the early 1940s were the peak of the Curly period.  Del Lord was a fine director, and I always find it funny that Jules White got the flack for being the most violent director.  And he was, but that cheese grater bit is pretty gruesome (and yes I laugh at it).  Not a nitpick. This and the other Del Lord comedies in 1940 are the ones I prefer over the Jules White comedies.  I loved Moe's run ins with both Curly and Larry in the same house.  The bridge game with the alum-spiked punch is a classic and the football game following it.  Great short.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Man, that grater scene is brutal beyond all belief...
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

10/10 for me, the scene where Curly and everyone was drinking the alum is definitely ranked among one of my favorite Stooge moments, other great scenes where Moe unwittingly asks Curly and Larry for information while taking the census's and Moe's retaliation towards these two, Curly flirting with the maid and the boys falling off of the awning while sleeping on it, the boys were definitely at their prime and each stooge (especially Curly) gives a great performance, also Larry seems to be getting more attention which is rare for this time period.

Offline stoogerascalfan62

IMO the alum-spiked punch scenes and the funny way people talked are the highlights of this short.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Hard to believe this was 4 years ago.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

For W.C. Fields fans.  I never put two and two together until now.  The "French" maid Curly flirts with throughout this short is Marjorie "Babe" Kane, the same actress who played W.C. Fields's daughter in THE DENTIST and THE PHARMACIST.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Just in time for the 2020 Census!

Vintage Stooges all the way, with a football climax that is superior to "Three Little Pigskins." Another Del Lord gem that delivers the goods.

Classic Dialogue:  "Are you married or happy?"

8.5/10
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 05:42:24 PM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I watched this one this week for the first time since this discussion started 6 years ago.  Man, oh man, what a classic.  All three Stooges are at the top of their game, and so is the entire supporting cast.  The Hayes office jokes suddenly make sense, and a more refined Paul Pain now understands the conversation during the alum scene.  The box grater is still agonizing to watch, but I laugh every time.  So many cultural jokes are scattered throughout this amazing film.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Samurai

For W.C. Fields fans.  I never put two and two together until now.  The "French" maid Curly flirts with throughout this short is Marjorie "Babe" Kane, the same actress who played W.C. Fields's daughter in THE DENTIST and THE PHARMACIST.
Dambit Gumby, I was fully armed to share Marjorie "B" Kane's small world crossover comedy credentials/photos (as I am a large W.C. Fields fan). Oh wells, you are the Grand Poohbah and I would have expected nothing less.  ;)

That aside, I have always loved this short...even more so since 2010. That's right, I was in charge of 25 square miles and 25 Enumerators for the 2010 census, then went through a few dozen masks while supervising a massive team of one...me...in 2020. Sadly, the stadiums were still closed, so I had no shot at a quick 100,000 people (so no dollar and a half...that's without the tax).

As I do not like to chew other peoples cabbage twice...um...yeah...I will share some favorite unmentioned bits. Moe's question 'what was your family decomposed of' has always been a favorite, and one I have re-purposed for decades. Then there is Moe's punch trilogy. His uncanny ability to sense whenever Curly is about to avail himself of liquid refreshment returns, followed by eye-banging Marjorie's heiny after she serves him the glass of punch...soon followed by attempting to spit it out on the floor. In fact, the entire 'punch arc' has always been a favorite Moe ment  ::)

This is definitely in my top 5. 

Offline metaldams

Dambit Gumby, I was fully armed to share Marjorie "B" Kane's small world crossover comedy credentials/photos (as I am a large W.C. Fields fan). Oh wells, you are the Grand Poohbah and I would have expected nothing less.  ;)

That aside, I have always loved this short...even more so since 2010. That's right, I was in charge of 25 square miles and 25 Enumerators for the 2010 census, then went through a few dozen masks while supervising a massive team of one...me...in 2020. Sadly, the stadiums were still closed, so I had no shot at a quick 100,000 people (so no dollar and a half...that's without the tax).

As I do not like to chew other peoples cabbage twice...um...yeah...I will share some favorite unmentioned bits. Moe's question 'what was your family decomposed of' has always been a favorite, and one I have re-purposed for decades. Then there is Moe's punch trilogy. His uncanny ability to sense whenever Curly is about to avail himself of liquid refreshment returns, followed by eye-banging Marjorie's heiny after she serves him the glass of punch...soon followed by attempting to spit it out on the floor. In fact, the entire 'punch arc' has always been a favorite Moe ment  ::)

This is definitely in my top 5.

I’ve been called Grand Poohbah many times, but you are the first poster who wasn’t so lazy that he refused to type the “bah” part.  I thank you.

Yes, Marjorie Kane of Fields and Stooge shorts, probably one of those many things I would have never figured out on my own without the magic of the Internet - and even then it still took me several years.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

As much as I love this short, there's something about it that just can't make me rank it higher than #47 on my list.  Maybe I need to re-watch it.