Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Columbia VHS Tapes

Offline Squirrelbait

This may sound like an odd question, especially with the ultimate DVD sets out, but I'm curious.

I've been going through my old VHS tapes and transferring them all onto disc. I've come across quite a few Stooge tapes, such as 'An Ache In Every Stake', 'A Bird In The Head', and 'Fuelin' Around'.

While paging through the Videography section, I noticed that most of them are re-issues of earlier volumes that were put out from 1982-1990.

My question is, while they all have the same shorts, is it actually the same tape? For instance, are the shorts in the same order? Do they use the same prints?

Not sure if anyone else still uses VHS tapes, but I just have WAAAAAY too much time on my hands ;)
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline archiezappa

One thing that was on the VHS tapes that was not on the DVD's was the music video for "The Curly Shuffle."  I don't know why that was not included somewhere as a bonus feature.

I remember in the second generation of stooge VHS's, a chap named John Ewainuk proffered historical facts for the sleeves.  I am surprised I haven't heard from him since.
"Excuse me fellows, I have a terrible cramp!" - Schmool Horwitz, 1911

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
... John Ewainuk proffered historical facts for the sleeves.  I am surprised I haven't heard from him since.

John died in 2006.

I am so sorry to hear this.  I doubt he had hit 50 yet.  I talked to him a couple of times on the phone in the early '90's and he was very helpful.
"Excuse me fellows, I have a terrible cramp!" - Schmool Horwitz, 1911

Offline Larrys#1

This may sound like an odd question, especially with the ultimate DVD sets out, but I'm curious.

I've been going through my old VHS tapes and transferring them all onto disc. I've come across quite a few Stooge tapes, such as 'An Ache In Every Stake', 'A Bird In The Head', and 'Fuelin' Around'.

While paging through the Videography section, I noticed that most of them are re-issues of earlier volumes that were put out from 1982-1990.

My question is, while they all have the same shorts, is it actually the same tape? For instance, are the shorts in the same order? Do they use the same prints?

Not sure if anyone else still uses VHS tapes, but I just have WAAAAAY too much time on my hands ;)

My father had the volume 1 video with "A Bird In The Head." It included the Screen Gems version and was edited. The scene with the gorilla drinking the alcohol was removed. When I bought the reissued video several years later, the episode had a new print (non-Screen Gems) and it was unedited. So no, they didn't use the same prints.

Now just a friendly advice.... it would behoove of you to just buy the DVDs instead of wasting time transferring your videos. The DVDs are cheap enough and are of far better quality than the videos.

Offline Squirrelbait

My father had the volume 1 video with "A Bird In The Head." It included the Screen Gems version and was edited. The scene with the gorilla drinking the alcohol was removed. When I bought the reissued video several years later, the episode had a new print (non-Screen Gems) and it was unedited. So no, they didn't use the same prints.

Now just a friendly advice.... it would behoove of you to just buy the DVDs instead of wasting time transferring your videos. The DVDs are cheap enough and are of far better quality than the videos.

Thanks for the heads up about the DVDs - I actually already have the Ultimate Collection DVD boxed set (and, come to think of it, all of the pre-boxed set Columbia DVDs as well.) My VHS fetish actually started when I came upon some of my old home movies - sadly, some of them have seen better days.

After I had saved the ones that I couldn't replace, I still felt ambitious and decided to transfer my mountain of store-bought tapes also. At the rate I'm going, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if I have a DVD transfer of every tape in the vicinity!

I agree 100% about the quality though - I just did my old copy of Spartacus and compared it with the Criterion DVD release - and the difference is night and day!

By the way, thanks for the reply - and for the info on A Bird In The Head!
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline Squirrelbait

Just one last question, how exactly did Heavenly Daze end up on the Legend Films Extreme Rarities DVD?

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it even on a tape with the usual Public Domain shorts?

Offline Mark The Shark

Just one last question, how exactly did Heavenly Daze end up on the Legend Films Extreme Rarities DVD?

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it even on a tape with the usual Public Domain shorts?

IIRC a video company released that one on Beta/VHS some time back in the 1980s along with the other "usual four." It was believed to be public domain on some technicality -- either registered under a working title, or improper copyright notice or something. I think it might have the wrong year in the copyright notice. Either way, as far as I know it turns out that it is legitimately copyrighted, Legend Films' colorized version notwithstanding.